Leonard Cohen and "Hallelujuh" Cover at 'Hope for Haiti Now'

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
sturgess66

Leonard Cohen and "Hallelujuh" Cover at 'Hope for Haiti Now'

Post by sturgess66 »

Leonard Cohen's song should receive the Grammy Hall of Fame Award. IMHO :D
The GRAMMY Hall Of Fame Award was established by The Recording Academy's National Trustees in 1973 to honor recordings of lasting qualitative or historical significance that are at least 25 years old. Inductees are selected annually by a special member committee of eminent and knowledgeable professionals from all branches of the recording arts.
http://www2.grammy.com/Recording_Academ ... l_Of_Fame/

I'm definitely no fan of Justin Timberlake but he and someone named Matt Morris (a newcomer who Timberlake promotes and who he signed to his music label) appropriated this magnificent song tonight for the purposes of covering it at the 'Hope for Haiti Now' benefit. Here is the video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxOWHu6Oyt8
Jan 22 2010 10:03 PM EST
Justin Timberlake's 'Hallelujah': The Story Behind The Cover
Leonard Cohen's 1984 song, covered at the 'Hope for Haiti Now' telethon, has been recorded by nearly 200 performers.

By Amy Wilkinson

With Justin Timberlake and Matt Morris' moving performance of "Hallelujah" during MTV's "Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Hurricane Relief" on Friday (January 22), the duo joined the ranks of nearly 200 performers who have recorded the melancholy ballad.

Written by singer/songwriter Leonard Cohen and released on his 1984 studio album Various Positions, the song reportedly took a year to write and includes 80 available verses and at least two wholly original renditions. The song contains several biblical references, including allusions to Samson and Delilah and King David and Bathsheba, heightening the song's hymn-like quality.

The first notable cover came courtesy of Welsh singer/songwriter John Cale in 1991, whose stripped-down rendition appeared on the 1991 Leonard Cohen tribute album I'm Your Fan as well as Cale's live album Fragments of a Rainy Season, released in 1992.

In 1994, Jeff Buckley released arguably the most famous cover of the song on his album Grace. Three years later, the 30-year-old singer drowned in Memphis, Tennessee, giving his cover an eerie resonance.

Nearly 200 additional covers have been recorded by artists as diverse as k.d. lang, Bob Dylan and Rufus Wainwright, whose version was included on the "Shrek" soundtrack, though it was Cale's rendition that was used in the film. Cale's version was also included in an episode of "Scrubs," while Buckley's accompanied episodes of "The West Wing" and "The O.C."

In 2008, "American Idol" contestant Jason Castro performed the song on the competition series, earning accolades from notoriously fickle judge Simon Cowell, who called his performance "absolutely brilliant." The performance helped Buckley score a posthumous hit on the Billboard Hot Digital Songs chart. Later that same year, Buckley's version along with "X Factor" winner Alexandra Burke's version held the top two spots on the U.K.'s singles chart. Rolling Stone ranked the song 259th on its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Cohen, now 75, told Canadian broadcaster CBC in 2009 that he found the sheer number of "Hallelujah" covers ironic, seeing as Sony would not release its album Various Positions. "They didn't think [Various Positions] was good enough," he recalled. "It had songs like 'Dance Me to the End of Love,' 'Hallelujah,' 'If It Be Your Will.' So there was a mild sense of revenge that arose in my heart."

Learn more about what you can do to help with earthquake-relief efforts in Haiti, and for more information, see Think MTV. Visit HopeForHaitiNow.org or call (877) 99-HAITI to make a donation now.

iTunes customers can exclusively pre-order the "Hope for Haiti Now" full-performance album ($7.99) and the full two-hour video telecast ($1.99). Pre-orders will be delivered in the days following the telethon. Individual audio performances will also be available for purchase and download for 99 cents each in the days following the telethon. Apple, the record labels and the artists will donate their share of the proceeds to Haiti relief funds managed by "Hope for Haiti Now" charities, including the Red Cross and Wyclef's Yele Haiti foundation. Performances will also be available for purchase in the days following the event through Amazon's MP3 service and Rhapsody, through distribution provided by INgrooves.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Re: Leonard Cohen and "Hallelujuh" Cover at 'Hope for Haiti Now'

Post by sturgess66 »

Some interesting commentary about Timberlake using Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah last night -

From Arts Beat in New York Times -

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... a-tragedy/
January 23, 2010, 12:35 am
In Song, Trying to Convey the Scope of a Tragedy
By JON CARAMANICA

Not everything jelled. A duet between Dave Matthews and Neil Young on Hank Williams’s “Alone and Forsaken” was awkward. And Justin Timberlake was, uncharacteristically, slightly out of his depth performing “Hallelujah,” the Leonard Cohen standard rendered indelible by Jeff Buckley. (Mr. Timberlake was one of the few to inject self-promotion into the show, duetting with Matt Morris, a relatively unknown artist signed to his label.)

Not that I like this commentary particularly either. :lol: :lol: :lol: I would have preferred to have read from Jon Caramanica about the "indelible" and remarkable performances by Leonard Cohen, the man himself, of his own song.

Leonard Cohen's magnificent song is remarkably resilient. It is almost like - no matter what is done to it, what it is used for, where it is taken, for whatever purpose - it just keeps on shining - and even graciously manages to make those who may temporarily hold it hostage look good. :D :D :lol:
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

As most people know I do not like covers of Hallelujah with the exception of Jeff Buckley. However this gave me goosebumps and it is good to see it being used in such a positive way to help people in dire need. I felt JT gave the song the respect it deserved and I hope it goes on to make lots of money for this worthy cause.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
mutti

Post by mutti »

and I wonder if the hat Justin wore was in tribute to Leonard's fedoras...it was more of a bowler hat...but almost a fedora so felt right..
I felt shivers as he sang it...the other singer was very good..I felt as if Leonard was there...
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I love this:

Cohen, now 75, told Canadian broadcaster CBC in 2009 that he found the sheer number of "Hallelujah" covers ironic, seeing as Sony would not release its album Various Positions. "They didn't think [Various Positions] was good enough," he recalled. "It had songs like 'Dance Me to the End of Love,' 'Hallelujah,' 'If It Be Your Will.' So there was a mild sense of revenge that arose in my heart."

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
dalsh327

Post by dalsh327 »

Why I don't like critics - I'm sure he felt Timberlake committed blasphemy. How was he out of his depth??

I heard Bono's attempt at it just one time. And Bob Dylan's.

Ex girlfriend of JT's - Cameron Diaz - was/is a big Jeff Buckley fan, I'm sure Justin knows all of "Grace" inside and out by now - that's where I'm pretty sure he first heard it.

RIAA has JB's version of "Hallelujuah" at 1 million downloads.

Timberlake and co. (who were the band?) did a nice job with it.

Overall, the show was a little too downbeat, but thankfully Sting (who covered Sisters of Mercy a while back, I think) and Wyclef lifted things up a bit.
Bird off the Wire

Post by Bird off the Wire »

The cast list of this show was like a who's who of popular music. Notable exceptions were Leonard and Dylan. While I know Dylan has done these type of events in the past, I was wondering did Leonard ever do one? Good as JT was, wouldn't have been great to see Leonare, even sharing the vocals with JT and the other guy.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

"A mild sense of revenge"? Good grief! I can't imagine Leonard feeling even a mild sense of revenge.

Transferred from his spectrum of emotions to mine, I suppose this would be the equivalent of me throwing a brick through somebody's window!
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
TheSpice-BoxOfEarth

Post by TheSpice-BoxOfEarth »

hydriot wrote:"A mild sense of revenge"? Good grief! I can't imagine Leonard feeling even a mild sense of revenge.
I was also slightly shocked when I read it. My first react was something like "whaaat, c`mon, he is Leonard, a zen monk, a saint, he just cannot feel negative feelings". Now when I have had time to deal with it I`m ashamed of my react. After all Leonard is a man, an ordinary human (when I say "ordinary" I don`t deny his enormous talent, I just mean that as far as I know he can`t levitate or turn himself invisible or do other fakir or Harry Potter tricks) and like everybody else he has a mind with several "unholy" thoughts and emotions. Because he practises zazen we think his mind must be like a sea without waves, we think his behavior must be calm, we think his words must be wise, but these expectations are just products of our own minds. The expectations meet seldom the reality. It is true that zen changes people that practises it but in my opinion it would be scary if it made people unable to feel negative feelings. When something makes us laugh, let`s laugh, when something makes us cry, let`s cry, when something makes us feel a mild sense of revenge, let`s feel a mild sense of revenge like Leonard does. We don`t need to stifle our feelings but we don`t need to cling to them either.

Hooray Leonard, hooray humanity! :D :D :D
A cross on every hill
A star, a minaret
So many graves to fill
O love, aren’t you tired yet?

- The Faith, Leonard Cohen
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

The headline is "Hallelujah! Cohen Cover Takes Over iTunes Again - This Time For Haiti Relief".

http://www.dose.ca/music/2482747/story.html
Last edited by Mollydog on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

JT's Hallelujah is now No. 1 on iTunes. It was by far the mostly widely downloaded song from Hope for Haiti Now with Lean on Me a very distant second.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

MarieM wrote:JT's Hallelujah is now No. 1 on iTunes. It was by far the mostly widely downloaded song from Hope for Haiti Now with Lean on Me a very distant second.
I am not surprised. it was a beautiful rendition. A genuine plea at time of need. Matt Morris sings beautifully too.
btw, it's the only Hallelujah cover I like. the others, hmmm, nope..

--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
mutti

Post by mutti »

I just saw this on Matt Morris' facebook page...very touching and full of gratefulness to Leonard.
Matt Morris It was an HONOR to perform "Hallelujah" on the Hope For Haiti Now Telethon. If you haven't already sought out the original recording by poet, songwriter and legendary artist, Leonard Cohen, I'd highly recommend you click the link below.
The link below was for one Various Positions.
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

OH! I LOVE this thread. I was deeply moved by Justin's singing. Elsewhere, I've been defending Justin's having performed Hallelujah in the first place and the RESPECT for the sorrow and struggle beneath the song and the emotional state of the people of Haiti, who are still in the depths of suffering, in his rendering of it in the second place! I absolutely agree with everyone who loved his singing of it. I'm solidly there with you. Absolutely.

Seeing his partner from a side view only, though, I thought he was The Edge. One of the things I liked about the program is that you had to know who the performers were, as they weren't announced, and their names weren't written across the screen. The show was about Haiti and the earthquake victims, not them... and I liked that distinction being made so clear. Their mode of dress was also quite drab, which I liked.

I'm delighted with Leonard's quote. What gorgeous irony the number of exquisite songs that are on that single album that they rejected. What I'm wondering [and I fear I'm right] is didn't they end up with the rights to it, after all, by default, through Kelley Lynch's betrayal of Leonard? Still, Leonard would have to find some satisfaction, even so.
Hooray Leonard, hooray humanity! :D :D :D

Leonard has captured our hearts and our spirits by being real about the darker, shadow side of being human, and he's always been truthful and honest about himself. If he stopped now, something would be amiss.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Myself I think it is a good cover, but there are not too many are not, it is such a good song.
It would have been good to have Leonard himself take over that top spot with it though.
Most 'ordinary' people don't care who wrote it, they are only interested in THE song, and who is singing it.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..

Return to “News”