Leonard & Shakira

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Ziyad

Leonard & Shakira

Post by Ziyad »

Shakkira - what a roué that Leonard is you might think, but no, I'm not trying to start that sort of rumour.

There was a interview in today's Guardian in which Shakira:
"says she studied writing lyrics in English "when I could barely speak the language", with the aid not merely of a dictionary, but the collected works of Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Walt Whitman (needless to say, these are names that seldom come up in interviews with multi-platinum selling pop stars)"
1974 London RAH|1976 London RAH, London New Vic x 3|1979 Manchester|1985 London Hamm x 2|1988 London RAH x 3|1993 London RAH x 2|2008 Manchester x 2, Glastonbury, London O2 x 2, Big Chill, London RAH, Brighton|2009 Weybridge|2012 London Wembley|2013 London O2 x 2

"thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes, i thought it was there for good so i never tried"
Stamatina

Re: Leonard & Shakira

Post by Stamatina »

!!!

ok, now i'm kind of speechless..
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
seadove

Post by seadove »

Ziyad wrote:Shakkira - what a roué that Leonard is you might think, but no, I'm not trying to start that sort of rumour.

There was a interview in today's Guardian in which Shakira:
"says she studied writing lyrics in English "when I could barely speak the language", with the aid not merely of a dictionary, but the collected works of Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Walt Whitman (needless to say, these are names that seldom come up in interviews with multi-platinum selling pop stars)"
I read this in TIME magazine without the mention of these artists.
Joney

Post by Joney »

I'm sure Leonard would like Shakira too.

They could do a duet of "Underneath Your Clothes" (lyrics below), I think Leonard'd like this. I saw Shakira being interviewed recently and she made a Spinal Tap joke which surprised me. I guess we shouldn't judge the book by it's cover and Shakira has a lovely cover.

You're a song
Written by
The hands of God
Don't get me wrong
This might sound
To you a bit odd
But you're the place
Where all my thoughts
Go hiding
Right under your clothes
Is where I'll find them
CHORUS:
Underneath your clothes
There's an endless story
There's the man I chose
There's my territory
And of all the things
I deserve
For being such
A good girl honey

Because of you
I forgot the
Smart ways to rhyme
Because of you
I'm running out of
Reasons to cry
When the friends are gone
When the party's over
We'll still belong
To each other

Repeat chorus
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I read this in an article on Shakira in Billboard years ago and was impressed by her choices. Yet, I couldn't help wondering what drew her to LC. Never did find out despite trying to do some research on it.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “News”