The monk Leonard Cohen

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Chema

The monk Leonard Cohen

Postby Chema » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Interesting article about Leonard Cohen. Translated by Google Translator

The monk Leonard Cohen
ROSA MONTERO 04/10/2009

They say that Leonard Cohen has spent the last five years (just turned 75) lived as a monk in a Buddhist monastery. And they say it only took him from the embezzlement of their retirement financial advisor, who swiped five million dollars and made him lie down again on the road and organize a huge world tour to clean up its battered economy. I attended their splendid concert in Madrid and in fact has something very Zen Cohen. Something very human. An impure purity, nakedness stained by the life of the person who begins to really know who he is. And he is a lovely old man, melancholy, with a record very small, because all his songs look suspiciously like one another. But how beautiful can become monotony. How clean and delicate.

I first heard Cohen at eighteen, an infinite time ago, staying with a fellow at the School of Journalism. We called Phoebus and used to Lennon granny glasses round, hairy coats for mouton, mustache and long hair. Still lived with his family, but in his room, I remember very large flying birds loose. Now I think they must put the fourth lost, but then I found something wonderfully hippie and rolled. In this room full of birds, Febo I discovered Leonard Cohen. Then, a couple of years later my friend was killed in a stupid car accident (which phrase as banal: I do not think there's an accident intelligent). It was my first near death, the opening of this milestone is always trituradero life. Life is literally and metaphorically killing everything you descend, it kills your child and then your elders, it kills the memory and forgetfulness, it kills what you were and what they wanted to be, it kills for you, like a ray furiously to your loved ones.

And it is opening new doors, creating new paths. That's true, although sometimes not enough.

The question is what does one do with all that. With the pain, the grief, frustration. With Basurilla of life. We must learn to balance and defend itself. Seeing Cohen, a being who, judging by his music and his poetry is essentially sad, I wondered how he would have borne the burden of his existence. If it's true what they say, their strategies have ended up being quite extreme: Buddhism, the monastic option, the search for simplicity. A simplicity of that life deals to get you out with its pufos of millions of dollars and their empty bank accounts. But also, later becoming a monk, Leonard Cohen has undoubtedly saved her words. The music. The painting (also painted). Creativity, in order. I know almost nothing about the biography of Cohen, but you can not reach 75 years without lug a suitcase of pain. Today he has always been happy so sad da bouncing around the stage. It's a happy melancholy. Quite an achievement.

If you look good, everyone has his trick, his secret weapon against despair. Of course not all the tricks are just as good. Some, for example, show preference for the accumulation of power. I guess the desire for power is a very effective against existential vertigo, but the trouble is that power is never permanent because it is not yours, but something outside yourself, so that in the inevitable ups and downs, people who this trick has opted to stick around Batacazos vital memorable. Other people have secret hobbies, passions minute. I remember the hero of the brilliant novel Swell, from Patricia Highsmith. The thirty-year hobby Vic is snail rearing. I love those slimy and quiet (also loved the great Darwin, incidentally), and the meticulous care of gastropods get abstracted from his troubles. Until the pain is greater than his trick, and then Vic becomes a murderer.

Surely murder is another way to face the punishment, only that this method is particularly useless, especially barbaric. I prefer the old ways of Leonard Cohen, who has accompanied my life with his sad ballads. And personally, I prefer to use words, like him, like now. As this article full of phrases with which I conjured up the emotion of a concert that I had perhaps too closely.
jenrbr

Re: The monk Leonard Cohen

Postby jenrbr » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:30 pm

A very curious article and interesting perspective.
Could it be something got lost in translation?
In what language was it originally written?

Thank you for sharing.
Jenny
Chema

Postby Chema » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:20 pm

It is written in Spanish and I hope you have not lost anything with the translation.
jenrbr

Postby jenrbr » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:33 am

Chema -
Please, do not worry. The gist (at least what I discern it to be) is all there. It's simply the choice in words and phrasing that gives it an exotic twist - since it is a google translation.
honeyrose

Postby honeyrose » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:30 am

I think this is quite brilliant. The Google translation takes it to a whole other dimension. I am sure Leonard would approve. Can we have it in the original Spanish, if only for the liquidity of the original words.

Return to “News”