The Diamond's Mine (one year on)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Pete

The Diamond's Mine (one year on)

Post by Pete »

This is a quest for a diamond ring in the form of a sequence of humorous parodies linked to the works of Leonard Cohen. It started out as a short story which appeared in the Forum of Leonardcohenfiles in 2004 and which, over the years, grew into a short novel. It was written in response to a comment made by Paula, a fellow Cohenite, about the joys of Christmas. Over the subsequent years it evolved into a comic saga of small proportion. There are numerous references to the works of Leonard Cohen - some hidden, some cryptic, some plain obvious. Leonard himself becomes an integral part of this saga. As written, before the prologue, another way of describing it is: A trilogy (in nearly three parts), with apologies to: Scrooge, Goldilocks, Johnny Depp, Jonathan Livingstone Seagull, Snow White, The Snow Queen and Leonard Cohen .... but mainly Leonard Cohen.

Many, many thanks to those of you who have bought a copy of this over the last twelve months. I only have 8 copies left but have made a decision to have another batch printed. I thought it might be opportune to mention it again here in the forum for those of you who have joined the forum since and might be interested for themselves or as a pressie for others.
I'm selling it at £6 plus p+p (cover price is £7.99) and happy to post anywhere in the world. I've now got the hang of paypal and only just realised that all I need to provide is my email address. If you would like to buy a copy then please email me at peterneedham@hotmail.com
..other payment methods still apply e.g cheque, bank transfer, goats and cattle :)
Pete

Copy%20of%20front%20cover.JPG
Copy%20of%20front%20cover.JPG (8.5 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
Last edited by Pete on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Alsiony

Re: The Diamond's Mine (one year on)

Post by Alsiony »

I don't know you Pete, but I have read (and re-read) this book and would like to take the opportunity to say I was really chuffed to get a copy and that I thought it was a great read! - dare I say even - a bloody brilliantly clever and hilarious read!!
I thoroughly enjoyed it, it made me laugh out loud on several occasions and to be quite frank, I would recommend it to anyone :D
Many thanks

A
x
Weybridge MBW 11th July 2009

'All I know - and you must listen very carefully to this... All I know - is that I know absolutely nothing' - Frank

'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?' - Christopher Marlowe

Much misunderstood... was the 'Hippie' with a reality fixation...
Pete

Post by Pete »

Alsiony
Thank you very much for your kind comments...I'm glad to hear you enjoyed reading it (twice??!!!)...it makes it all worthwhile.

I have sold some to non-Cohenites and they have enjoyed the read and followed the plot but have not understood some of the references (there are some hidden amongst the main story line rather than the 'verses') They wanted a 'crib sheet' ..so I produced one and have made that available where required. I've been wondering whether to post the crib sheet on the forum..still thinking about that one.
I have a work colleague who bought it and read it and then she became a Cohenite :)

Regards
Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

As the diamond suggests, Pete's book is a treasure... I, too, highly recommend it.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Neophyte

Post by Neophyte »

Me, too!!
Hallelujah!!!
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

I bought two copies of this book in a pub off a maths teacher who very kindly signed both copies for me.
I've only read one copy of the book and it was very funny indeed.
I've yet to decide whether I should also read the second copy, but if I do I'm sure it will be as funny as the first copy.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Paula

Post by Paula »

Ken for future reference I would get another copy unsigned I think the signature could cause the value to depreciate whereas the unsigned copy is well worth buying.

Pete brilliant book I heard talk it was part of a trilogy is this true 8)
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Diane

Post by Diane »

I add my endorsement. Very funny, well written, different, would make nice stocking filler.
Alsiony

Post by Alsiony »

Oh shit.
My copy has a signature in.
;-)
Weybridge MBW 11th July 2009

'All I know - and you must listen very carefully to this... All I know - is that I know absolutely nothing' - Frank

'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?' - Christopher Marlowe

Much misunderstood... was the 'Hippie' with a reality fixation...
Laura

Post by Laura »

Pete! Stop advertising and gloating and go write the second one! We're breathlessly waiting.

Laura
Pete

Post by Pete »

liverpoolken wrote:I bought two copies of this book in a pub off a maths teacher who very kindly signed both copies for me.
I've only read one copy of the book and it was very funny indeed.
I've yet to decide whether I should also read the second copy, but if I do I'm sure it will be as funny as the first copy.

Ta Ken
Ken
You never know, but the second copy might have a different ending. There is a rumour going around that there are 2 different endings. When you've read the second copy let me know if it is the same...if it is I'm sure that maths bloke will sell you another copy ;-)
Pete
Pete

Post by Pete »

Laura wrote:Pete! Stop advertising and gloating and go write the second one! We're breathlessly waiting.

Laura
Sorry,Laura. Just a bit more advertising now I've received new stock.
I have started a second book, but slowly. I am retiring next summer and will be therefore have more time.

What I haven't mentioned is that if anyone is interested it can be obtained through amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diamonds-Mine-P ... 771&sr=1-1

or from ebay.com or ebay.co.uk

or, as mentioned earlier in the thread, email me.

All of these routes are suitable from far off countries.
Pete
Pete

Re: The Diamond's Mine - 3 years on!

Post by Pete »

Three years on now...... just in case you need an idea for your Christmas shopping :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diamonds-Mine-P ... 771&sr=1-1
41AjkgLffsL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
41AjkgLffsL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (10.61 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And it is so worth it; even if you don't know the characters, the humour surrounding Leonard's lyrics and infusing the book makes Pete's book a must for a Leonard Cohen person... and even for those who may not be, the story and the humour hold up.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sereneava

Post by sereneava »

Five years on. Is it still available?

Return to “News”