Robert Kory's Interview in The Jewish Daily Forward

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
sirius

Robert Kory's Interview in The Jewish Daily Forward

Post by sirius »

"He (Kory) revealed that he and his colleagues came close to pulling the plug on the Tel Aviv date as they were “swamped” with messages of protest — both from people who objected to Cohen playing in Israel because they felt it gave legitimacy to the occupation of land captured in the Six Day War, and from people who objected to the conciliatory tone of the concert, billed an event “for reconciliation and peace.”Kory said: “At one point the noise level on the left and the right got so loud that we thought: ‘why we need to do this?’ Our promoter Rob Hallett thought: ‘maybe we’ll do the concert; maybe we wont’ — it depended on which day.” Kory said that this is why the concert was not confirmed until the beginning of August."

Leonard Cohen’s Manager: Western Academics Scuppered Ramallah Concert

By Nathan Jeffay
The Jewish Daily Forward
Published September 25, 2009.
http://www.forward.com/articles/115175/

Tel Aviv — Leonard Cohen’s plan to play a sister concert to his Israel gig in Ramallah was scuppered due to pressure from western academics and not primarily due to objections from within the Palestinian community, Cohen’s manager, Robert Kory, told the Forward.

As the sellout Tel Aviv concert was about to get underway, Kory gave a frank interview speaking of the upset he felt when the singer’s Middle East visit became a source of controversy.

He revealed that he and his colleagues came close to pulling the plug on the Tel Aviv date as they were “swamped” with messages of protest — both from people who objected to Cohen playing in Israel because they felt it gave legitimacy to the occupation of land captured in the Six Day War, and from people who objected to the conciliatory tone of the concert, billed an event “for reconciliation and peace.”

Kory said: “At one point the noise level on the left and the right got so loud that we thought: ‘why we need to do this?’ Our promoter Rob Hallett thought: ‘maybe we’ll do the concert; maybe we wont’ — it depended on which day.” Kory said that this is why the concert was not confirmed until the beginning of August.

In June, amid of the controversy about playing Tel Aviv, community groups from Ramallah invited Cohen to play a sister gig there. Cohen was enthusiastic. But as widely reported, in mid-July, his hosts revoked their invitation.

Kory said that the main factor in the cancelation was not internal Palestinian pressure, as was widely assumed, but the fact that “there were academics from the U.K. that came raising hell.” Britain is home to a strong academic lobby that backs the campaign to boycott Israel.

Kory told the Forward: “We have a disagreement. I am an American, I support free speech. They are British academics and I don’t know, they’re ‘right’… I don’t want to name names but there are those in the academic community who suppress speech because they know what’s right.”

After the Ramallah plan went pear-shaped Israeli Tourism Ministry Director-General Noaz Bar Nir and Nazareth Mayor Ramiz Jaraisy issued a joint plea for Cohen to perform the heavily Israeli Arab city of Nazareth. This plan never got off the ground

In a Cohen’s VIP tent before the Tel Aviv concert there were dozens of Palestinians who part company from those who were against the Ramallah concert.

The singer set up a charity, The Fund for Reconciliation, Tolerance and Peace, which will be kick started with the net profits from the Tel Aviv concert, expected to be $2 million. In the tent were Israelis and Palestinians who have lost family members in the conflict and who run initiatives together trying to promote peace. The fund will bankroll their initiatives. They include The Parents’ Circle-Families Forum, which sets up face-to-face meetings between bereaved families from both sides, and an Israeli-Palestinian radio station Radio Kol Hashalom.

“I am Palestinian,” said one man who got up to speak at the event, Ali Abu Awad, from the West Bank. “I was in prison for four years. My mother was in prison for five years. I resist the occupation and I taste the violence. I was wounded and I lost my brother, and I am proud to have Leonard Cohen supporting us.”

Other speakers included the Israeli author David Grossman, who paid tribute to the beneficiaries of Cohen’s new fund. Grossman, whose son Uri was killed in the 2006 Lebanon War when serving in an armored IDF unit, described them as people who refuse to “turn their wound in to a weapon,” instead opting for “decisiveness and courage to choose life again … to act all the time against the gravity of grief and the gravity of despair.”
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
Kush

Re: Robert Kory gives a frank interview-The Jewish Daily Forward

Post by Kush »

I see siriusman is still trying to upgrade himself from the politics section. sneaky sneaky sneaky!!
oskie98

Post by oskie98 »

kush wrote:
I see siriusman is still trying to upgrade himself from the politics section. sneaky sneaky sneaky!!
¨
I am afraid sirius is going to contaminate every corner od this forum!
:roll:
Kush

Post by Kush »

Its a social status thing. Like sneaking into the business class from economy in planes when no one is looking. If he can sneak into the News section from the politics section, it brings more respectability to his posts.
sirius

Post by sirius »

May Our Enemies be Filled with Joy

It is hard to remember the true meaning of the enemy, as one who makes our life
precious to us. The opportunity to really pray for our enemies, not that they
may reform or be in some way changed, but simply and truly that they may be
happy and enjoy their lives, is one of the most valuable gifts our enemy can
give us, because this prayer offers a rich field for self discovery. Recall
Matthew 5,44: But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you,
do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you,
and persecute you.

And remember
our humanity is defined
by how we treat our enemies
not by how we treat our friends.

AMEN

Sirius Wisdom
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

I think it's an interesting interview--and one that Cohen's management obviously wanted to get out.

Let the lion lay down with the lamb and the Sirius with the comic, all in peace.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Sirius, if you were the enemy of anyone here, you simply would not be here. All the moderators know where the ban button is.

In my mind, what you posted here is completely appropriate, on topic and consistent with the intent of a board DEVOTED to Leonard Cohen. However, you must understand that not everything you post is within these guidelines. Some of the articles you post are designed to incite this audience or to dampen free discourse. If you would like to be viewed as a friend rather than cast yourself as an enemy, then simply respect our devotion to Leonard. We all have open minds. You cannot love Leonard and his work without an open mind. But an open mind does not present an invitation for disrespect.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
sirius

Post by sirius »

Marie, Firstly, thanks for kind of supporting my right to exist... on this forum. :D

You wrote: "Some of the articles you post are designed to incite this audience or to dampen free discourse." I HAVE NEVER TRIED TO DAMPEN FREE DISCOURSE, please name or quote one article where this is so. In fact the inverse is true, the many personal insults I have had to endure, for daring to support the call for a boycott, and demands that I be silenced and my posts removed were too numerous to mention. Free speech goes both ways. I plead guilty to provoking debate on the issues but not needlessly inciting anybody and certainly not dampening free discourse. God forbid!

Let me also say, no one has a monopoly of affection and love for Leonard Cohen and his work. I have been a constant and devoted fan of Leonard Cohen for 40 years, and have seen him live many times, the first time being The Isle of Wight Festival in 1970, I have read his novels his poetry and biographies about him, so I am no less devoted and respectful than anyone else on this forum. And I apologize if I have come across as disrespectful that was never my intention. But that does not mean I believe everything he does is right. So..... going to Israel was wrong in my opinion and I wrote to Robert Cory and told him so, this does not mean some good will not come from The Concert and The Fund that Leonard set up, But to myself and many other Leonard Cohen fans the far bigger picture was the suffering of an oppressed people, the Palestinians, for more than half a century, and especially now after the war crimes and massacres in Gaza. 'The Boycott ' is a peaceful but powerful weapon, what else do the defenseless, the oppressed, have... so the least I can do was to support the cultural and economic boycott of Israel, and ask my hero, my spiritual godfather, my Buddhist saint, my family bard for over 40 years, to just say NO, and not perform in Israel.

So there is a difference between worshiping someone and believing he can do no wrong or do unwise things, and being devoted to an artists work and having an interest in his life, but still disagree with some of his judgment calls. But what do I know.... being a mere mortal, maybe peace and harmony will blossom in the middle east after Leonard's concert and ...."everything will happen if he only gives the word; the lovers will rise up and the mountains touch the ground."

I posted this on this forum after seeing Leonard last year in Manchester:

I was privileged to be at the Thursday June 19th concert at The Opera House Manchester with my wife, my son and my daughter, it was truly a transcendental moment that echoed in Eternity. Leonard Cohen has maybe achieved that remote human possibility of which he spoke of in his novel Beautiful Losers; "A saint is someone who has achieved a remote human possibility. It is impossible to say what that possibility is. I think it has something to do with the energy of love." The energy of love was transmitted and received by the open hearted.

If it be your will......let there be peace in the middle east.

So let's sing another song boys this one has grown old and bitter.

Peter Solomon

(Sirius)
Last edited by sirius on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oskie98

Post by oskie98 »

sirius wrote:
AMEN
Sirius Wisdom
I wonder what kind of signature this is?

Peter,
The problem is that what you take for granted, like "the suffering of an oppressed people, the Palestinians, for more than half a century, and especially now after the war crimes and massacres in Gaza", is NOT the truth for some others. On the contrary for many people here on the Forum such statements (and there are dozens of them) are insults and hurting attacks. People study the history , people study the present and they come to the contradictory conclusions. Obviously you are convinced in your truths. But could you at least understand that some other people can see this differently? Or do you think you really are WISDOM and wise Peter King Solomon and that you cannot be wrong?
And exactly because of the fact that on "both sides" we are longtime fans of Leonard Cohen and we know his work etc etc do you have to insult us (Israelis and Jews in diaspora, well not all of them, but the great part I would guess) again and again? And we can ignore the Politics section but you started to post your views elsewhere ... You are saying that Leonard is wrong in some views. Are you saying that his opinion on reconciliation is wrong,too? It looks so. I wonder: is there any hope for peace at all when you as a fan (of L.C.) cannot smooth down or abandon those hateful and insulting statements towards other fans .... Also if you feel the need to help Palestinians so strongly - as it seems - it may be more satisfying to take some action instead of talking, posting pamflets and messages, promoting boycott etc. Maybe you overestimate the power of The Boycott. And do you think that by posting your messages (copying articles from the web - you do not use your own arguments) you really are helping The Boycott? Do you think that this way any person will see the light? To feel better about your personal fight for Palestinian thing you could go to Gaza and join some humanitarian aid parties there. Or you can give money to some Palestinian fund or so. (Maybe you are already doing so - good on you.)
I know it is not a good thing to post such a message exactly today, before erev Yom Kipur. But I am scared of so many organizations and people that CALL themselves Pro-Palestinian which are in fact closeted Anti-Semites (and opened Anti-Israel) and we all know very well from the whole history that Anti-Semitism is a deadly and fatal instrument.
One last thing: Jewish nation CANNOT be without Israel. And there are so many people in world which seek extinguishment of Israel. Unfortunatelly they succeed in fooling a lot of people, even the good people.
Have a nice day,
Oskar.
reneny3

Post by reneny3 »

sirius wrote: the least I can do was to support the cultural and economic boycott of Israel, and ask my hero, my spiritual godfather, my Buddhist saint, my family bard for over 40 years, to just say NO, and not perform in Israel.
Would be nice of you to remember that Mr. Cohen has already preformed there… ;)
sirius wrote: If it be your will......let there be peace in the middle east.
You literally preach for the destruction of Israel, so at least don’t pretend you’re all for peace in the Middle east.
And once again, you ended up raising a political debate in the News section, which is meant to be all about Mr. Cohen activities. It’s nice that the moderators here are so very tolerant. Any other forum would have erased your provocations immediately.
sirius wrote: So let's sing another song boys this one has grown old and bitter.
A shame you don’t apply this to your own posts.
There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

I am not a Jew, but if this is a time for reconciliation, I think that all of us should try it, at least from time to time... And it is in this spirit that I am writing the following words.

Well, it is not for the first time that messages written by Sirius leave me with a sort of apprehension. Peter, I do not know if Solomon is your real name or just ‘goy’ wishful thinking, but it may well be that you feel tempted to use it as a trademark for what you consider your righteous (and why can’t others see it ?!?) position.

I admire the fact that you were a witness to the 1970 IOW concert and continued to live as a faithful Leonard Cohen fan. Sadly, however, I also feel that you understood very little of what he had to give then, and what has grown through the years, to what he has to give us all today. On the way, you seem to have lost the spirit of his words and the vibrant (yet pondered) way in which he took stand then.

What I know about that day is other people's words and fragments released on YouTube - but what I gathered from that moment is that, in the midst of a destruction-driven craze, he came on stage and gave you all some food for thought: the chance to use hearts and minds, rather than arms and legs; to seek a spirit of communion. You fully and heartily accepted it then – why not now?

He hasn’t changed – it is you who have changed in time. Being a revolutionary is by no means a profession; and I honestly wonder if you had the same enthusiasm during the anti-Apartheid movements (so unjustly brought up lately into the discussion, by promoters of the current Palestinian boycott) against South-African rulers that came from British descent. It was useless then (because its end came through political maturity, not as a consequence of any international noise) and it is even more so in this case, because it is simply a ban against culture.

Being fooled by propaganda of any kind is a thing that happens everywhere, for various reasons. But taking for granted only what one side says is wrong. Remaining in the warm security of one’s home while getting out, from time to time, for some rally or other, just to remind one of the rushing blood of one’s youth, is simply a convenient way of appeasing one’s conscience. Later, participants may well gather in a pub for a beer, fully satisfied that they "were part of it".

But this is not history in the making. What history usually teaches us is that good words – or a song – can do a lot more than noise. And by saying that you are probably a ‘goy’ I meant no harm – I only presume that you cannot understand the invisible thread that links Jews all over the world to that magic place in the Middle East. I wish we, Christians, could have the same link to any place, to such a Camelot of the hearts. No obstacle is difficult enough to stop them from getting there, when they feel it is right – and neither did it stop Leonard.

A cultural boycott against Israel? I would rather call it a general boycott against what is really perfect, high quality, in culture and music. Leonard is an acknowledged, I dare say even sacred value – he does not need false promotion in newspapers, as do some of today’s loudmouth singers who desperately undress on stage to get their 15 minutes of celebrity.

Leonard will always be “FOR” something, and never "AGAINST". What about you?

Sincerely,
Carmen
Last edited by Carmen on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoyJerusalem

Post by RoyJerusalem »

I wonder if this sirius guy also called Leonard to boycot the show in London last year

Did you know that the Brits and Americans have killed only in the last years in Iraq 20 times(!!!!!!!) the number of all the combined Arab-Israeli war victims put together. :oops: since 1850. the Brits did it in seven years, far from home, in and it all heppened in an unjust war. Now think for a second what would the brits do if Manchester was under a daily rocket attacks. yes, I just see Gordon Brown standing on the ruins of the "Old Trafford" declaring "this is not the time to react". yea right... :lol:
mwaldman

Post by mwaldman »

Carmen -

A superb post. Thank you.

Moderators -

This thread has turned into a political discussion. Please move it to "Politics" where it belongs. Thanks.

Mike
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Robert Kory's interview remains here as he's Leonard's manager; Marie pointed that out. - Other discussions can indeed be continued elsewhere.

On Friday we removed plenty of Sirius' and seadove's posts (Tel Aviv articles) into the concert report thread. This forum has very clearly marked sections, so let's be careful where we post and what content. No YouTube clips, questions and your own covers in the News section etc.
casterbridgecohen

Re: Robert Kory's Interview in The Jewish Daily Forward

Post by casterbridgecohen »

For what it is worth..............I have read much of the above with interest

I am not sure we have to get our knickers in a twist

Personally although my travels have taken me to close on 100 countries I no longer have any wishto travel to Israel nor to trade with Israel at the current time and so perhaps am sympathetic to the views of Sirius. However I respect Leonards wish and right to perform there if he so wishes and the spirit of reconciliation behind his motivation. Indeed I gave some consideration to going myself to what would be a unique event - so hey the spirit of reconciliation was working in a small way even with me!

As it was my schedule did not allow it - I have managed 13 concerts so far and Israel would have been a trip too far last week, so I did not have a decision to make. I suspect curiosity would have got me there if I had had the choice.

I have not read many of Sirius's previous posts which have clearly upset some but hey its one world and we all have the rights to express our views - Siriuus and others might feel there is a moral argument against performing in Israel and others are free to digress.

Its an interesting debate - same as pro and con boycotts in apartheid Soth Africa - and I am not going to be sucked into any debate on the problems of Palestine and Israel here.

Anything anyone can do to bring opposing parties together is clearly beneficial and to be applauded - I was initially surprised to see Leonard was going to Israel but I the motivation was to be applauded and I think that he and Robert K have tried to handle it as even handedly and altruistically as was possible.

And I could certainly understand why they must have thought 1001 times ; 'Is this worth the bother'

Enjoy the well earned break Leonard - I wonder if he is off to India again?
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam

Return to “News”