Leonard Cohen lands in Israel

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
seadove

Norman? :-)

Postby seadove » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:19 pm

I didn't know his middle name is Norman. ;-)

Anyway some good news.

Cohen arrived today with all his staff by his personal plane. He was driven to his hotel where he ordered a simple room but the hotel managers insisted that he stay in the royal swite where Madonna stayed. He was a bit surprised but they insisted on it "on the house".

Tomorrow he will travel around the country by a small plane that was hired in advance.

And of course, thursday is the big day for all of us . I wonder if I can get to sleep till then, because I am toooooooo excited. The whole family is coming with me.

Yooooooohooooooooo!!!!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Paula

Re: Norman? :-)

Postby Paula » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:24 pm

Seadove - what a lovely post. Were you stalking him at the airport or something to get that information.

Anyway really nice friendly informative post made me smile made me think of seaside postcards "wish you were here".

Enjoy the concert and keep us informed on "normal Norman"
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
mutti

Postby mutti » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks Seadove for the news...Have a wonderful time and enjoy with your whole family! Tell us all about it... 8) :lol: 8)
Mutti
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sirius

Leonard Cohen lands in Israel

Postby sirius » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:09 pm

Singer Leonard Cohen lands in Israel ahead of concert

By Guy Hajaj, City Mouse Online

Last update - 20:56 22/09/2009

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1116182.html

Leonard Cohen landed in Israel on Tuesday ahead of his upcoming concert in Ramat Gan Stadium on Thursday night.

Cohen landed in a private plane, which his production team says he will use to travel around Israel, and went straight to the Dan Hotel in Tel Aviv, where he will be staying. The hotel surprised Cohen by upgrading his room to an upscale suite, despite him having ordered a regular room.

This Thursday's performance will be Cohen's first in Israel in over 20 years. Concert tickets sold out in less than 12 hours despite costing between 1,000 and 1,200 NIS.

Several hundred more tickets became available last week, after production adjustments allowed for seating on the lawn of the stadium.

Hebrew subtitles will be displayed in conjunction with the performance on a screen above the stage.

Cohen recently fainted onstage at a performance in Valencia after reportedly feeling ill. His production team cited stomach problems and dehydration as the reason behind his collapse. He performed successfully in Barcelona the week after fainting and is expected to take the stage in Ramat Gan with no problems.

Last edited by sirius on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
brightnow

Re: Leonard Cohen lands in Israel ahead of concert

Postby brightnow » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Thanks for posting this Peter.

Some observations (and minor corrections):
It is unusual for the Media to disclose the name of the hotel where Leonard and the band are staying, in a small country with such a high level of interest in the concert it would have hardly been a secret anyway, but that's still no reason to put it out on the front pages.
A regular room was reserved for Leonard... This should not surprise anyone yet I am still amazed at how truly humble the man is.
It is unlikely that the band will tour Israel in the leased jet that brought them over from Spain, there is almost nowhere to land it. Other news outlets are reporting that a helicopter has been leased, a much more practical choice.
The local production team has announced to the media that Leonard will not be present during sound check on Thursday. I find that hard to believe. The reports are probably meant to discourage people from to trying to get in to the stadium for sound check.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
Bequia

Postby Bequia » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:18 pm

brightnow wrote:The reports are probably meant to discourage people from to trying to get in to the stadium for sound check.

They'll be hanging around the Dan instead.....
....all men will be sailors then....
mnkyface

Postby mnkyface » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:35 pm

Haaretz news made the info public here: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1116182.html
Not sure how responsible it is for the news to give his hotel name...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Postby reneny3 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:42 pm

mnkyface wrote:Haaretz news made the info public here: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1116182.html
Not sure how responsible it is for the news to give his hotel name...
Madonna and Quentin Tarantino were staying at the same hotel and it too was all over the news. Don't forget it's a tiny country so everybody will know about it even if it's not mentioned.

And according to the link below, Mr. Cohen uses a double... :roll: so all is well :D

http://www.nrg.co.il/online/7/ART1/945/ ... c=5&tmp=89
There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in.
mnkyface

Postby mnkyface » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:28 am

Just looked at this hotel's website...WOW. Verrrrrry nice. I want to be "travelling with" this band! Maybe Leonard needs a food tester. I'll volunteer!! :razz: :D
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Postby brightnow » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:12 am

The Dan is very nice and it is right on the beach.
Leonard will probably not go out in public for fear of being loved to death, but I hope some of the band member get a chance to sneak out to the beach.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
Okudzhava

Postby Okudzhava » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:06 am

So when was the last time he performed in Israel?
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
ladydi

Postby ladydi » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:44 am

mnkyface wrote:Just looked at this hotel's website...WOW. Verrrrrry nice. I want to be "travelling with" this band! Maybe Leonard needs a food tester. I'll volunteer!! :razz: :D
Yewwww..."food tester". I don't know. After Spain, perhaps not. Even Chris Bynum got very very sick. But, what the heck...gorgeous hotels, a great band, Leonard....a little food poisoning every now and then would drop a few pounds! But I think I would rather be the shoe-shiner....or espresso maker....or wine taster....or sunscreen applier 8) !
Bequia

Postby Bequia » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:24 am

mnkyface wrote:Just looked at this hotel's website...WOW. Verrrrrry nice.
But it doesn't seem the sort of place that at 4AM, you can bring along a midget, a bear and four ladies, drag them to your room and no one cares about it at all.....
....all men will be sailors then....
sirius

Postby sirius » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:55 am

Cohen lands in Israel behind gray-hatted decoy

Cohen himself walked a few paces behind, bareheaded and accompanied by bodyguards.

By Noya Kochavi

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1116350.html

Leonard Cohen landed in Israel last night, 24 years after his last concert in the country. The Jewish-Canadian singer and poet arrived from Spain in a private jet earlier than scheduled. To avoid the battery of photographers waiting at the airport, Cohen used a decoy, who wore the singer's signature gray Fedora hat. Cohen himself walked a few paces behind, bareheaded and accompanied by bodyguards.

Cohen and his entourage will be taking 31 rooms at Dan Hotel in Tel Aviv, one regular suite for the singer and thirty regular rooms for his staff. Today Cohen is expected to take an aerial tour of Israel in a private airplane. Advertisement

Stage technicians were finishing their last preparations for Cohen's only Israeli concert at Ramat Gan Stadium tomorrow. Shortly before the concert the VIP area of the stadium will host an event for the Peace and Tolerance Reconciliation Fund, dedicated to Palestinian and Israeli bereaved families committed to the peace process. The event is expected to be attended by families, Cohen's band and author David Grossman.
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
lizzytysh

Re: Leonard Cohen lands in Israel

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:17 am

I sure wish they would have been discreet [actually close-mouthed is what I mean by that] with the personal details, considering Leonard's preference for privacy, as well as all the protests regarding this concert. On the other hand, I'm pleased to see that Leonard will have time to get some rest before Thursday's concert. A simple announcement that he had already arrived would have sufficed for imparting that information, though. I know it's a Very Big Deal to everyone that he's there and will be performing, but I'd sure like to think that a lot of this info has been relayed, so as to throw people off the track. Glad to see he's using various ploys.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”