Leonard Cohen has grown into his Music

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Rodali50

Leonard Cohen has grown into his Music

Post by Rodali50 »

I have been a Cohen fan since the 60’s and was able to attend my first concert in April in Saskatoon. After wandering around in a daze for days after the concert I joined this forum, and since then have been keeping up with the tour. I’ve been watching the DVD of the London concert, listening to CD’s, both old and more recent, and watching clips of recent concerts on YouTube and have come to this conclusion. Leonard Cohen has grown into his music!
Comparing the DVD from London and the more recent tour clips on YouTube, the extensive tour, which should be exhausting him, seems to be rejuvenating him. He looks healthier, happier and more at ease now then he did early in the tour. Whatever demons he may have wrestled with during his lifetime, have obviously been laid to rest and he projects such peace and contentment. One leaves his concert with such awe and respect for him, and an inner vow to attain some of this peace in our own lives, to be a little kinder and more respectful to everyone we come in contact with in.
The voice (now indeed Golden), the words, the passion, the emotion – now all come together. The voice is better, the words more meaningful. This is Cohen the way it was meant to be sung. This is why he is gaining new fans with every concert that he performs. This is not a man on his last “Hurrah”, this is a true artist reaching his peak. What an inspiration to us all to see, that in this society, which is so youth oriented, to see that with maturity comes true strength.
Yes Leonard Cohen has grown into his Music, and we are so fortunate to be here to witness it.
reneny3

Re: Leonard Cohen has grown into his Music

Post by reneny3 »

Such a beautiful and moving post.
I felt the same after each concert I've attended.
Thanks. :)
There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in.
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more or put it better. It was an honour & a great privilage to attend these recent wonderful concerts. I feel so lucky & fortunate. :D
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Well said Rodali--I have felt for some time that when Leonard says he doesn't know where the good songs come from, that I want to put my hand up and shout "I do I do". But of course I don't really since I have no idea what or who God is. But if there is a God, I believe it is the source of many of his songs. I recently read a review of TS Eliots poetry in which the reviewer said they believed he based the Four Quartets on the last Quartets of Beethoven and that it was the sound of his poetry (as much as the content) that penetrated to peoples' souls. The music of the spheres. How can any human really live up to such gifts? I am sure Leonard would demur, but Leonard is our Eliot for this age.
schubert

Post by schubert »

I couldn't have put it better Rodali,lovely words.Like you Ive followed Leonard for a long time and saw him the first time back in July in Belfast and really it was the best concert by far that Ive been to,still high on it now!!!My overwhelming feeling was a man very much at peace with himself and full of joy.And listening to his music just gets better as the years go by.What a true artist!!! :)
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Everything you said rings so true. I have had the luck to see him 4 times in the last year and each time he looks and performs more relaxed and better. How does he keep going week after week?
It is said, of age, 'The 70 of yesterday is the 50 today' So hopefully we will have many many more years of Leonard, of both his writing and his concerts.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
paddieu

Post by paddieu »

yep ! he was even better at girona than he was last year ! :shock:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Rodali ~

Your expression is stunning in its clarity and its truth. In every aspect, I agree. I'm about to copy & paste it to a friend of mine who will be going to the concert in Ft. Lauderdale with me.

Thank you.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
honey604

Post by honey604 »

So beautifully said, Rodali! I agree. His voice, his interpretations seem to come from a deeper place now. Yet, his humility and joy shine through.
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

Victor,a DJ at WZBC 90.3(.org) FM , will have bootleged music of LC this Tuesday Sept 1 at 3 PM (EST).
This is the public radio station for Boston College . It will be avilable on the site for 2 weeks.
This will help understand LC growing into his music.
It could also be that we are growing into his music, too.

Thanks for the Music, Leonard !
Dan
Habie

Post by Habie »

So true, Rodali, beautiful. Thank you.

What's particularly amazing is that LC's ever-improving music and stature were wonderful to start with! It is quite miraculous how much more he always has to offer... (and from what I've seen, the musicians in his band have never been better either...)

Leonard, you never cease to astonish. And why should you?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

. . . fantastic to start with!
Ohhhh, yeaaaaaahhhh... 8) :D 8)

That gives me a hint on how best to respond to this, which I wanted to, but in the moment wasn't sure exactly how:
. . . we are growing into his music, too.
The best way I can respond it to simply change one word and say:

. . . we are growing with his music, too.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”