Leonard Cohen: Hallelujah: A New Biography by Tim Footman

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
caz

Re: Leonard Cohen: Hallelujah: A New Biography by Tim Footman

Post by caz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:26 am

Well damn me!!!! How did I miss that?!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:40 am

caz wrote:Well damn me!!!! How did I miss that?!
Please don't be too hard on yourself, but it was kind of obvious! :D
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Motivated in part by some of the comments in this sequence, I did a Q&A with Tim Footman that is posted at http://1heckofaguy.com/2010/01/11/exclu ... biography/
sealsker

Post by sealsker » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 am

264811403188 wrote:I read the book a few weeks ago and did enjoy it. There are some interesting new information (for me) as well as nice photo's. I picked up a few minor details which could be inaccurate as far as my knowledge goes, but in general this a good read.

What I didn't like at all is Appendix II, pp 215-228, which is a lengthy comparison between Cohen and Dylan. It seems as if the author really favours Bob Dylan and this part is just too long. At some stage I felt like skipping the rest of it. This is after all a biography of Leonard Cohen; ond doesn't want to read all this glorification of Dylan in it.
I just read this book, which I was given for my birthday along with the IOW DVD and CD. I've really enjoyed both, although I agree with other contributors here that the book is more of an extended critique of his work, than a personal biography. All very interesting though, and there is enough background and new information to make me want to listen again to all the CDs!

I disagree though with the above quote (sorry I don't know your name and hesitate to call you by a number!) - I thought the Dylan comparison was fascinating. Two singers who are so similar in age and era, background, genre and longevity are bound to draw comparisons. I liked the conclusions, that (I'm quoting from memory here as I had to lend the book back to the friend who gave it to me as soon as I was finished!): in later histories of 20th century music, Dylan will be given a lot more space (sad but true); however in terms of the relationship with fans, particularly at live shows, Dylan is revered, idolised even, but Cohen is loved - and he knows which is more important.
sealsker

Post by sealsker » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:10 am

DrHGuy wrote:Motivated in part by some of the comments in this sequence, I did a Q&A with Tim Footman that is posted at http://1heckofaguy.com/2010/01/11/exclu ... biography/
Thank you so much for this interview DrHGuy. It adds to the enjoyment of the book - I shall have to read it again I think!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:13 am

I just read DrHGuy's interview with Footman, and I have the same opinion of the book as I noted previously (which is worth about as much as the virtual paper it is written on, I know!).

The one thing that got my goat in the interview is when DrHGuy asked Footman if he'd actually been to a Leonard Cohen concert, to which Footman replied "No," and then he blathered on about how he is (and I quote) "slightly wary of the sacred aura bestowed upon live rock gigs, as if they’re some kind of religious experience. It’s a myth the music industry is very keen to stoke, because nobody makes any money from record sales any more, so they have to rake it in from gigs." :shock:

I know of merely moderate Cohen fans (not me, I'm insane about Cohen) who were absolutely blown away by concerts on the current tour (of course, all of us major fans were blown away, too!). The amazing "aura" of Leonard's show has nothing to do with record company "myth" in order to make money, rather, it has everything to do with the fact that Leonard's concert is a piece of utter perfection and it is absolutely a transcendental experience (or religious, or whatever or however it moves a person and touches them more deeply than they could ever have imagined).

If Footman had actually gone to a show, he would know this, instead of dismissively suggesting that the fuss is nothing more than fabricated hyperbole by the music industry in order to make money. Harumph!
margaret

Post by margaret » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:00 am

After reading all the reviews of this book and particularly some of Mr Footman's comments, I am very glad I did not waste any money buying this book.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:03 am

LisaLCFan wrote:
If Footman had actually gone to a show, he would know this, instead of dismissively suggesting that the fuss is nothing more than fabricated hyperbole by the music industry in order to make money. Harumph!
Well said, Lisa.

It IS odd that he didn't go to a show. Why not just go in the interest of research. For someone calling it a New biography, with a huge part of that "newness' being the story of Leonard's recent tour, it seems like the guy could have gone to a show. Especially because he is wary of the "hyperbole". If he is skeptical of all the lavish praise and thinks everyone has been transformed by the sacred aura to the point of not being able to form an objective opinion... Seems like even more reason to go see for himself, and see through it all, and put that into the writing.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by zodkavombie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:19 am

Got a copy for Christmas from my children, can't wait to read it but must finish book I am reading at the mo
O2, 17th July and 13th November 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009, Barecelona 21 September 2009, Lille 25 September 2010, Las Vegas 10th and 11th December 2010, Wembley 9th September 2012, Paris 29th September 2012, O2 London 21st June, 15th September 2013.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:38 am

“Ditto” - LisaLCFan and Margaret and Mnkyface.

I didn't buy/read the book.

Some thoughts I had after reading the Q&A at DrHGuy’s site*.

I was startled to read that Footman had not attended one of Leonard Cohen's shows. Really! And his reasons for not attending a show seem lame to me - and somewhat arrogant - and as LisaLCFan says "dismissive." Especially when, amazingly, the opportunity to do so was quite available to him at the time that he just happened to be writing a book about Leonard Cohen. And, it’s not as if Leonard Cohen shows or tours have been “common” in recent years.

IMO - this is lame too (from the Q&A at DrHGuy's site*) -
Essentially, I did Cohen because there wasn’t another Cohen biography in print, and he was coming up to his 75th birthday and it only seemed fair.
So the timing of his book has to do with trying to “be fair.” :lol: :lol: Fair to Leonard Cohen? :lol: And nothing to do with Leonard Cohen's amazing tour?

Had he done so (attended a show) - he might have been surprised to find that Leonard Cohen's "rock gigs" were not the norm and at Leonard's shows there is no "myth" that he suggests "the music industry is very keen to stroke". Reviewers have reported again and again that his shows were an extraordinary experience. Leonard Cohen - night after night - gave his all - and he is the real deal. Surely "extraordinary" is noteworthy in a biography.

*I love the picture of the cat.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:20 pm

A review in Las Vegas Review Journal -
http://www.lvrj.com/blogs/booknook/Leon ... raphy.html

The reviewer's advice to Mr. Footman - "You are writing about one of the hippest men in music today, Mr. Footman — don’t blow it by being tacky." :lol: :D
Leonard Cohen focus of 'Hallelujah' biography
Posted by Sharon Galligar Chance, guest reviewer
Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2010 at 05:00 AM

One of my favorite songs is “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen. The melody is haunting, the words mesmerizing, and the overall production is just amazing. However, I didn’t know much about Cohen, the man who wrote the song.

In his new book, “Leonard Cohen — Hallelujah: A New Biography,” author Tim Footman sets out to introduce the legendary man and how he has become one of the top iconoclastic figures in today’s music scene.

Footman chronicles the amazing highs and lows that have punctuated the fascinating life of Cohen. This incredibly in-depth biography explores the vast catalog of songs, poetry and other literary ventures by Cohen in great detail.

From his early years as a poet and author in Canada, his relocation to New York City and subsequent fringe involvement within the folk and rock scenes of the ’60s and ’70s to his years spent in seclusion in a Buddhist monastery, Footman leaves no stone unturned when it comes to Cohen’s life. There is frank discussion of Cohen’s personal life, his literary career and his music career, including quotes from interviews with many of Cohen’s colleagues and friends.

Cohen is experiencing a new resurgence of interest in his music today by a new generation of admirers. This unique biography of the man and his life will enable his fans to have a closer insight into the inner-workings of this musical idol’s creative life.

A side note: One thing I did find rather distasteful was Footman’s use of vulgar language throughout the book. In my personal opinion, I just felt it wasn’t necessary to convey a sense of the man he was writing about, and that it was a teeny bit gratuitous on the author’s behalf — maybe to try to show how hip he is. You are writing about one of the hippest men in music today, Mr. Footman — don’t blow it by being tacky.
sue7

Post by sue7 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks for posting this, Linda.
I've recently finished reading Footman's book, and I found myself disagreeing with the reviewer that it was "incredibly in-depth" and "left no stone unturned." There was a noticeable paucity of interviews done by Footman, and almost all of the sources seemed to have been already published. I did agree that some of the language had a tone that was unfortunate, and added to a sense of flippancy already evident in Footman's assessment of events in LC's life. For example, Footman makes the claim (unsourced) that Leonard Cohen would not perform in Jerusalem "unless the whole band was on acid" (p. 89). This is a bizarre distortion of the events shown in "Bird on a Wire" film, and it is typical of the kind of statement made in the book.
There are also careless errors, including a detailed mangling of the story told in "Famous Blue Raincoat."
Of course Footman is entitled to his generally negative assessment of LC's voice, but to write a biography during this tour and refuse to attend a concert while professing to be interested in his music, is hard to fathom. I agree with you, LInda: his argument during the interview with DrHGuy doesn't hold water at all.
Yes, there hasn't been a biography about Leonard Cohen since Ira Nadel's in 1996, but I think we're still waiting for a new biography that's worth reading.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Trying to cash in, prompt translation of Tim Footman's book is coming in Croatian on February 10, a month before the Zagreb show.

Lucky we, the authorised Ira Nadel's biography, fully updated in 2008, has been reprinted (2nd circulation) and probably will go on discount before the show.

Nova biografija Leonarda Cohena

uvertira

u nezaboravan koncert

15. ožujka!

Nova biografija „Leonard Cohen Hallelujah“ u prodaji od 10. veljače!

LEONARD COHEN

HALLELUJAH

Nova biografija!

Autor: Tom Footman

Bogato ilustrirana i prevedena na hrvatski!

Da biste se uz mnogobrojne albume što bolje pripremili za koncert Leonarda Cohena 15. ožujka u zagrebačkoj Areni, Menart će 10. veljače objaviti hrvatski prijevod nove biografije Leonarda Cohena „Hallelujah“!

Autor knjige je Tom Footman, biografija obiluje Cohenovim fotografijama, ali i mnogim zanimljivim činjenicama iz glazbenikova života. Ono što je najvažnije, knjiga uključuje i događaje iz prošle godine kada je Cohen bio na turneji i promovirao album „Live In London“.

Treba uistinu mnogo vremena da bi se nabrojalo što je sve u životu radio i napravio svestrani gospodin sa šeširom pa je zahvaljujući tome i njegova biografija iznimno zanimljivo štivo.

Primjerice, istraživanje sebe, života i svijeta dovelo ga je i u budistički samostan u kojem je devedesetih proveo pet godina i meditirao po 12 sati dnevno.

A to je samo jedan od detalja ispričanih u životnoj priči koja kreće od Cohenova rođenja 1934. godine pa sve do trijumfalne turneje 2009. godine.

Uskoro više detalja o knjizi!

LEONARD COHEN

IN CONCERT

TOUR 2010

15.3.2010., ARENA, ZAGREB

Jedan od najvećih glazbenika svih vremena predstavit će se zagrebačkoj publici prvi puta nakon pet desetljeća uspješne glazbene i književne karijere.

Ulaznice za ovaj 'must see' organizira Lupa promocija, a karte za spektakl podjeljene su u slijedeće kategorije:

PARTER VIP: 450 kn

PARTER SREDINA : 400 kn

PARTER : 350 kn

TRIBINE DOLJE : 350 kn

TRIBINE GORE: 300 kn

LOŽE: 700 kn

Budući da je koncert sjedećeg tipa, broj ulaznica je ograničen te je u prodaju pušteno samo 10.000 ulaznica. U prodaji su na svim prodajnim mjestima sistema Ticketpro.

LEONARD COHEN

Cohen kojeg nazivaju i 'kraljem tuge', ima bogat glazbeni opus kojeg čine nezaboravne pjesme - od narodne glazbe do popa i jazza. Svojim je glazbenim pristupom postavio standarde koji ga čine nendamašnim glazbenikom i jednim od najvećih glazbenih uzora.

Leonard Cohen je kanadski kantautor i književnik, autor je 11 kultnih studijskih albuma i brojnih književnih djela. Počinje pisati još 1951., a prva zbirka pjesama objavljena je 1956. S godinama Cohen je postao svjetski slavan i priznat glazbenik, a njegov je književni rad ostao u sjeni karijere glazbenika kojoom je ušao u legendu.

Najranije Cohenove pjesme su ukorjenjene u europskoj narodnoj glazbi. U sedamdesetima, njegov opus obuhvaća pop, cabare, rock, blues i country. Njegov instrument je glas, a njegovi hitovi - riječi koje imaju bezbroj značenja i odlaze u vječnost.
Glavne teme njegovih pjesama su ljubav, seks, duhovnost i religija. Vječito postavlja pitanja i traži odgovore, a upravo zbog toga pjesme ne gube neodoljivu emocionalnu snagu.

Njegov prvi album „Songs of Leonard Cohen“ (1967), najavio je veliki talent ovog glazbenika i pjesnika. Uključuje pjesme koje su postale klasici:

„Suzanne“, „Sisters Of Mercy“, „So Long, Marianne“ i „Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye“.

Da nakon ovoga Cohen više nije snimio niti jedan album, svejedno bi ostao zapamćen i cijenjen. No sljedeći njegovi albumi potvrđuju kako veličanstvenost njegovog debitantskog albuma nije bila slučajnost.
Prošle godine Cohenova pjesma „Hallelujah“ postala je fenomen engleske top ljestvice kada je verzija u izvedbi Alexandre Burke (pobjednice popularnog TV talent natjecanja "X Factor") zauzela prvo mjesto na ljestvici singlova oborivši rekord najbrže prodavane pjesme ženskog izvođača. Paralelno s time, original Cohenova verzija također je ušla na englesku top ljestvicu. „Hallelujah“ je postao najbrže prodavani digitalni singl u europskoj povijesti. Prije kraja 2008, prodan je u više od pet milijuna primjeraka.

Osim što ima najveću čast koju može imati građanin Kanade - biti članom Kanadskog reda (Order of Canada), primljen je u kanadsku kuću slavnih glazbenika (Canadian Music Hall of Fame), ali i u kanadsku kuću slavnih pisaca (Canadian Music Hall of Fame). Od 2008. nalazi se i u američkoj Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

2008. godina označava povratak Leonarda Cohena na pozornicu te nakon 15 godina pauze odlazi na Englesku turneju. Zbog izuzetno hvaljenih nastupa i velikog odaziva publike turneja se proširila dalje po Europi, zatim u Kanadi, a završila je u Australiji. Atmosfera s turneje je ovjekovječena na dva CD-a i jednom DVD-u pod nazivom „Live In London“.

2009. godinu započinje velikim koncertom u New Yorku, a travnju nastupa na jednom od najvećih i najposjećenijih festivala Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. Njegova izvedba pjesme „Hallelujah“ proglašena jednom od najboljih na festivalu. Koncert u Izraelu rasprodan je u manje od 24 sata dok je prihod od 47000 prodanih ulaznica Cohen u suradnji s Amnesty International namjeravao dati u dobrotvoran fond za projekte pružanja zdravstvenih usluga djeci i zbližavanja izraelskih veterana, bivših palestinskih boraca te obitelji koji su ubijenih u sukobu. No Amnesty International se povukao iz dogovora zbog nedostatka podrške izraelskih i palestinskih nevladinih organizacija.

Otkad se vratio nastupima, njegovi koncerti su rasprodani širom svijeta. Još uvijek zrači jedinstvenošću i specifičnom privlačnošću. Još uvijek je poseban i zadivljujuć. Njegov duboki glas isti je kao i na studijskim snimkama posljednjih albuma. Njegove pjesme prožete su književnom kvalitetom kakva je rijetka u svijetu popularne glazbe, a njegovu poeziju i prozu oslikava bogata muzikalnost.

Biografiju izdaje Menart !

Koncert s ponosom predstavlja Lupa promotion!
Attachments
cohen news1.jpg
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Btw, I never thought that any of Cohen's album covers is awful. Quite contrary, they work well with the content of CDs (the music, the lyrics, the mood), and to claim that the cover of Ten New Songs, Dear Heather, The Future, I'm Your Man or Various Positions is bad, I personally think that person didn't quiet get what Mr Cohen wants to do. I know that Cohen Live is kitsch, but it has to be like that, his face in pain and devotion, the logos of the albums, the concert hall seen as the temple... Only mistaken cover is Spector's album, but it seems it was not authorised by Cohen. I personally am not fan of first album cover only. I can live with other early stuff, while New Skin... is great cover.

Also, the person who thinks that "real Leonard Cohen" is first three albums, and dismisses the post-1980 work because of synthesizers, doesn't understand - imho - Cohen at all. If we can claim there's some entity called "real Leonard Cohen", it's there in The Essential CD set, somewhere between Various Positions, I'm Your Man and Ten New Songs.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:41 am

Talk about timing, Footman's is perfect. Just in time to cash in on a name by producing a mediocre book.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “News”