Playing with Cohen - great article

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
ladydi

Re: Playing with Cohen - great article

Post by ladydi » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:14 am

YES! I did view the photos. This is such a sweet one...Roscoe with his son...and the hat! Also loved the first one from '69. They (the band) were SOOO young, including Roscoe! But then, weren't we all 8).

Perhaps everyone else knew, but it was so special to know that Roscoe and Jennifer fell in love....if only for a time.

Thanks again Marie! Gosh, it's just a short time until the concert starts in Austin....those lucky people!

All the best,
Diana
kwills

Post by kwills » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:56 am

Jeremy wrote:Just brilliant.

Especially loved the quote from Rafael Goyol - "....watching your back. And until you say otherwise, I'm right here." Wouldn't we all be?
Yes,i agree with this quote wholeheartedly.
A fantastic post.Thank you for posting it,by that I meant the whole article.
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:36 am

This is a little off-topic, but Jennifer Warnes will be performing in Vancouver May 14, at the Chan Centre which is a great concert venue. After reading her comments in the article, I checked out tickets on the dreaded Ticketmaster – to my surprise, ALL seats were only $55 CAD each, including fees and taxes! So I bought 'em, Orchestra, Row J. Feel like I got a heck of a bargain.
evewaldman

Post by evewaldman » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:50 am

"Leonard writes words that address what it means to be in a human skin. I've read poetry that has as much beauty as Leonard's work, but in the world of music, Leonard is a rarity. He's heavy, weighted heavy on the side of describing things that go on inside a heart, what it feels like to be here.
What a beautiful article! Brilliant, sensitive, intimate. Brad Bucholz's weaving of the stories of those who have worked with Leonard shows us what goes inside a heart, inside a band, at the back of Leonard.

Thanks so much, Marie, for sharing this article with us.

Eve
bigdee

Post by bigdee » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:22 am

Great artical thanks for posting it. Sad to learn from the artical Bill Ginn is no longer with us. I didn't know he had passed until I read this. Anyone know when he died? Recently or a while ago? I tried looking it up on the net but can't seem to find anything on it. I'm surprised I didn't see it posted on here. Maybe I missed it. Anyone know who else from LC's earlier bands have passed on? I remember reading in 2004 one of the singers (Laura Brannigan) from the 76 tour died. But other than that I never remember hearing anything about any of the others. Hopefully everyone else is still with us.
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
melancholia

Post by melancholia » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:00 am

POISONOUS! :!:

as if he didn't already have my heart in his gentle hands..

swoon.
and you want to travel with him
and you want to travel blind
and you think maybe you'll trust him
for he's touched your perfect body with his mind...
mirka

Post by mirka » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:21 am

IMHO the best article of the tour so far.

I loved this:
When the tour with Passenger ended (in 1980), everybody fell into a depression. Two or three divorces right after the tour, and I think they were simply because the mates couldn't understand what had happened. There had been severe altering of personalities. Roscoe started wearing Armani suits. It was a mess. We'd call each other and say, 'What do we do now?' The aperture of the heart had been broken open.

There had been severe altering of personalities... ??? 8)
Roscoe started wearing Armani suits.... ??? 8) :D

I imagine being in the presence of Leonard Cohen for prolonged periods of times may be dangerous, what happens then to those who went to several of his concerts on this tour ?
Do I start to wear Armani, address people around per "darling", sign up for a Buddhist monastery ...???
:D :D 8) 8) :o :o
Last edited by mirka on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:11 pm

I'm so glad I was able to find the time to read this phenomenal article this morning.

Playing... and playing... with Cohen. There's really nothing to add to all that's been said by everyone else. I've just now had time to read this. Smiled, laughed, choked up, and cried. So much insight and sharing in this article, it's astoundingly caring and moves the heart word after word. This is the first I'm recalling hearing about the gathering in the park after the Austin concert. What a return he's made to that venue now. Memories that surely managed to stay with him.

Popcorn on the bus 8) ? If I go on to quote other parts, this may end up as long as the article. In performance, I've seen Julie's head to Leonard's back. What rehearsals must have been like for her to be in such a privileged position for his songs. Raphael's comments got to me, too. How it must have seemed to everyone in the group that they were traveling in a timeless space that would go on forever as it was happening... and then what a devastating crash for them all when it ended. "The aperture of the heart had been broken open" ~ how well Roscoe and Jennifer, Julie and Sharon, and everyone who travels with Leonard must know him.

Thank you so much for posting this, Marie. It's the perfect one to have on hand when someone asks you who is Leonard Cohen. This article is precious and priceless. With a knot in my stomach, I reluctantly quit reading, as there simply were no words left; neither did I want it to end.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Absent Mare

Post by Absent Mare » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Does anybody know about this chant?
I'd love to know the Latin words and the melody.

Ritual 2009

"We meet in the green room 15 minutes before we go on stage, everyone dressed and ready. It's very relaxed," Beck says. "Leonard has a cup of coffee. And there's a little chant we do, a vocal exercise, that Leonard taught us back in '79. We brought it back for this tour.

"It's three lines, sung, I think, in Latin. Translated into English, it means: 'I am a poor person. I have nothing. I need nothing.' Actually, we sing it in a round. It's very cool, and it kind of centers you a little bit. Sometimes we do it walking to the stage."
Gercav

Post by Gercav » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:30 am

This is a wonderful piece, I was moved by some of the descriptions of LC.Through the years I have often wondered what it is with LC and his words that makes that connection with the heart and soul.
I am still trying to figure that out, but then again maybe that will never happen, which is OK.

I went to the Dublin gig on the Saturday night, it was an honour.There is a wonderful video on youtube of that rainy sunday night in Dublin that is referred to in this article.

Leonard sings "So Long Marriane" and his wonderful audience helps him along the way.

Thanks again,looking forward to July, when Leonard Cohen once again graces Irelands shores.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:50 pm

What a fantastic article, some great memories shared, thanks for posting. I wish Leonard still ended his concerts with an afterparty to which all were invited, but I can see that's not really feasible these days :lol:

The Latin chant sounds like it's the song round 'Ego sum pauper, nihil habeo, cor meum dabo' (I am a poor man, I have nothing, I will give my heart), except I don't know if Leonard has changed it or Roscoe has misremembered it. 'I need nothing' in Latin would be 'nihil requiro' (thought my Latin is a bit rusty!).
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
yaniv297

Post by yaniv297 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:31 pm

such a beautiful article... thank you for posting it
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:47 pm

Great read... and insight. Thanks
Edward Whitelock

Post by Edward Whitelock » Wed May 06, 2009 6:31 am

Great article. Thanks for posting it!
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Mon May 11, 2009 8:54 pm

Yes, Megan, thanks so much for taking the time to post this.
I picked up the Austin States-Item when I was in Austin for the show, so I have this article in the original as a cherished keepsake. It was the cover story in the entertainment section. Great cover photo of Roscoe and his bass fiddle!! The bit about Leonard putting together a song the way he learned to sew a suit...that made a tremendous impression on me also, when first I read it. Loved it. Thanks again for posting it.
While in Austin I also met a wonderful young couple, Patrick and Melissa.(Y'all come out and post!!) Patrick said he'd attended Leonard's first Austin show at the Austin Municipal auditorium (now the Long Center), mentioned in the article, when the audience came onto the stage and the plug was pulled, so they all went out in the meadow and made more music and everybody was high and mellow. Ppatrick said it was a great memory, and now he was bringing Melissa to her first Leonard concert at the Long Center...will the circle be unbroken?

Return to “News”