"Leonard Cohen Live in London" > DVD & 2CD (April 2009)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
table top joe

Re: Watch Leonard Cohen - Live In London Online Free For 1 Week

Post by table top joe » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:26 pm

Thanks for the link,good idea,im trying to convince someone on another forum to go see him,i only told him about half an hour ago he should get this DVD! :D

Cheers
Brownie

Re: "Leonard Cohen Live in London" - DVD & 2CD - April 2009

Post by Brownie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm

I have to agree with all the criticism. I have just watched the DVD and the sound quality is really very bad. It is such a shame. I was at the concerts in Manchester and in Nice and looked forward to watching this as a reminder of two wonderful evenings. What a disappointment. Just have to turn the sound off, listen to the CD and reminisce. And maybe contemplate as to how to get my money back? :cry:
bynumbers

Post by bynumbers » Sun May 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Well, i attended the concert in the Olympiahalle Munich and it was a great evening, but i enjoy the dvd more. I did not expect the most professional concert-dvd in the world. I love it as it is. Greetings from Munich.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Tue May 05, 2009 11:45 am

It seems there's a new poster - Jarkko and me just found it at ebay:

(it's 30 cm width)
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Tue May 05, 2009 1:11 pm

The attached review is from the May 11, 2009 edition of the Ottawa Jewish Bulletin. It is also available on Mike Regenstreif's music blog at http://frfb.blogspot.com/
Leonard Cohen
Live In London
Columbia

Leonard Cohen, the masterful Montreal-born singer-songwriter, will be performing two Ottawa concerts at the National Arts Centre May 25 and 26. Unless you’re willing to scalper prices, you can pretty much forget about getting tickets. They sold out, like everywhere else on Cohen’s world tour, almost instantly at up to $250 (plus service charges).

The concerts that Cohen will perform in Ottawa will vary little from the concerts that he’s given throughout his worldwide tour over the past year. The repertoire, down to each of the planned encores, has been essentially the same as Cohen moves from city to city and from concert halls here to arenas there. That doesn’t really matter though. From all reports, and from the evidence of his London, England concert last July 17, it’s an amazing, meticulously planned and executed show.

That London concert is now available in both DVD and 2-CD packages. The concert is mesmerising. When I sat down to watch the DVD, I did not get up again until I’d seen every minute of its two-and-a-half hours. I didn’t take the intermission that stretches a Cohen concert past three hours in person.

And what, you may ask, kept me glued to the set for 150 minutes? Let’s start with the songs. Cohen is one of the greatest songwriters of our age who is known for working endlessly on a song until every line, indeed every word, is perfect. Nothing in a Cohen song is wasted, even in an eight-minute song. And almost every songs clocks in at least five minutes. Only, “Suzanne,” an early masterpiece is within the typical length of most pop songs. Cohen is one of those very rare songwriters whose work continues to reveal nuance and deeper levels of understanding, even songs like “Suzanne,” or the biblically-inspired “Hallelujah,” or the classic “Bird on a Wire” which I’ve heard countless times over many decades.

Then there is Cohen himself. At 74, he is singing with such obvious commitment to both himself and his audience. And there seems to be some kind of wisdom-with-age dynamic that Cohen brings to the interpretation of each of these songs whether they were written recently, 20 years ago in middle age or 40 years ago as a relatively young man.

Finally, there is the quality of the nine world class musicians and singers who Cohen surrounds himself with on stage and uses to bring the great songs to life. The arrangements are highly creative. While I particularly appreciate the work of Javier Mas, a Spanish master of the guitar and a variety of exotic stringed instruments, and harmony vocalists Sharon Robinson, and sisters Charley and Hattie Webb, each of the other musicians is excellent.

--Mike Regenstreif
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mondomando

Post by Mondomando » Wed May 06, 2009 11:44 pm

by jarkko on Tue May 05, 2009 1:11 pm

The attached review is from the May 11, 2009 edition of the Ottawa Jewish Bulletin. It is also available on Mike Regenstreif's music blog at http://frfb.blogspot.com/

?????????????????

O.K. I know Leonard has written a song called The Future but how did this happen ... I'm reading a review from the May 11, 2009 edition of the Ottawa Jewish Bulletin on May the 6th???

Actually this is quite a favourable review which pinpoints three of the many factors that make this concert tour exceptional (sublime? otherworldly? sheer bliss? ... words do fail me).

Daevid
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Thu May 07, 2009 12:36 am

I'm reading a review from the May 11, 2009 edition of the Ottawa Jewish Bulletin on May the 6th???
***that shows that we really are on pulse of the times on this Forum, doesn't it :-)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Fri May 08, 2009 12:34 am

There's an Australian poster also (scan from ebay):
Attachments
cohenliveA3portrait.jpg
cohenliveA3portrait.jpg (189.83 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
Bird off the Wire

Post by Bird off the Wire » Sat May 09, 2009 2:25 am

Isn't it usual for artists to issue combined DVD/CD sets - maybe for a few euro/dollars less than buying both separately.? Anyone know why that didn't happen in this case.?
lavendergirl

Post by lavendergirl » Sat May 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Surprised at negative comments about DVD - watched/listened to it last night & thought it was fantastic & a very accurate representation of our memories of that concert (played it through high quality hi fi system so maybe this made a difference). Anyway, loved it and want to watch it all over again tonight but maybe that's getting a bit obsessive!
Mondomando

Post by Mondomando » Sat May 09, 2009 9:33 pm

lavendergirl wrote:Surprised at negative comments about DVD - watched/listened to it last night & thought it was fantastic & a very accurate representation of our memories of that concert (played it through high quality hi fi system so maybe this made a difference). Anyway, loved it and want to watch it all over again tonight but maybe that's getting a bit obsessive!
Obsessive??? Not a chance.

This is such an amazing concert - I've been replaying lots of it in my mind with the help of the Live In London CD and a few other live shows I have downloaded.

I just got my DVD though today after seeing the show April 30th in Winnipeg. I'm playing at a coffee house tonight but will manage to see it at least once before I get to bed tonight. Now if I blew of the coffee house to watch the DVD I would be concerned. I will be playing mine through a reasonable sound system (don't have anything high end in the old TV rpoom). Glad you liked it lavendergirl.

Daevid
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei » Sun May 10, 2009 9:21 pm

I finally got the DVD yesterday and watched it last night. Call me old fashioned but I bought the DVD at a local independent record shop, I didn't want to buy it online paying money to some huge faceless company.

I thought it a wonderful souvenir of the wonderful evening I spent in the company of Leonard, his band and the rest of the audience at the O2 Arena last July. Leonard was able to make that vast place seem an intimate venue. We had quite good seats at the concert - front row, 2nd tiered block on the right side of the stage. I resisted looking at the screens too much as I wanted to see it all happening on the stage 'live' as it were. Inevitably there were things we missed, but now with the DVD I can see his performance in all it's glory. What a treat!! I have no complaints as to the sound quality coming from my ordinary 3/4 year old television.

Cardiff - November 2008
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon May 11, 2009 1:01 am

Review today in Croatia's leading daily newspapers Jutarnji list, gave it 4.5 stars of 5:

http://jutarnji.hr/kultura/glazba/clana ... ,162676.jl

The review is short and full of standard praises and phrases. The title says" The charismatic with the voice like the God itself". The reviewer is a critic who's known for his inability to comprehend musicians like Cohen's (he's only for current rock bands which contain "the" in their names), and it's surprising and surely nice to see even a short review (and full of superlatives) in lousy Croatian media which turn to the awful sensationalism and low populism in last few years.
Shockvalue

Post by Shockvalue » Mon May 11, 2009 6:49 am

bynumbers wrote: I did not expect the most professional concert-dvd in the world.
Well I did! Given the perfection of musicanship and overall sound quality of the live concert presentaion, its hard to understand why the same effort was not evident in the DVD production values. After all ths DVD will become part of the legacy of the works of Cohen.
Evie B

Post by Evie B » Mon May 11, 2009 10:03 am

Hi Tom
Is there any way of reading this report in English? Croat isn't my strong point. I checked around the page and couldn't find any obvious way of changing the language.
Thanks
Evie

Tom Sakic wrote:Review today in Croatia's leading daily newspapers Jutarnji list, gave it 4.5 stars of 5:

http://jutarnji.hr/kultura/glazba/clana ... ,162676.jl

The review is short and full of standard praises and phrases. The title says" The charismatic with the voice like the God itself". The reviewer is a critic who's known for his inability to comprehend musicians like Cohen's (he's only for current rock bands which contain "the" in their names), and it's surprising and surely nice to see even a short review (and full of superlatives) in lousy Croatian media which turn to the awful sensationalism and low populism in last few years.
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers

Return to “News”