Hallelujah on UK X-Factor (all threads merged here)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
kwills

Re: And the X-Factor winner is...

Post by kwills » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:17 am

liptrot wrote:Hallelujuh!! X Factor is over and Alexandra's Leaving
Good One!!
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:48 am

Out of some perverse curiosity, I've just googled a video of Alexandra's "Hallelujah". Fortunately, it aborted itself halfway through. It's true that it could have been a lot worse, but this is exactly what I expected. It gets a sort of Whitney Houston style treatment that turns it into some sort of earnest Christmas song (just a few notches up from Cliff Richard's "Mistletoe and Wine"). Fortunately, I'm not using a television at present. Now all I have to do is avoid supermarkets that play music, and pubs with juke-boxes.

Bah humbug! John E
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:57 am

Well John, I bet you will be glad to hear her version of Hallelujah will be available for download by midnight tonight!!! The X-Factor machine is truly a well oiled one. The finalists obviously pre-recorded their versions. And considering the amount of airplay it will get, I'm sure the term 'overkill' will be an understatement over the coming weeks.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
stargazer61

Post by stargazer61 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:06 am

Well, you can call me biased but there is only one Hallelujah for me and that is by Mr Leonard Cohen!

I did watch the X-factor. It wasn't as bad as I feared (apart from the overblown production and the choirs) but I don't think any of the singers has the slightest idea about what the lyrics could possibly mean...it was merely 'a song'. However, it has been a fabulous year for Leonard.
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:18 am

Yes Paula, I too am totally biased, Leonard wins!
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
Habie

Post by Habie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:24 am

I've never been a 'purist' - just passionate about LC's music for 30 years. Hallelujah means a lot to me - that and FBR have a direct line to loss and suffering in my own life and always move me.

Tonight I expected to be horrified - the Cowell Power Ballad X Factor blender is surely about as close as you can get to The Opposite of Leonard Cohen, no?

And yet, and yet... a beautiful song sung by a beautiful voice ... even if the singer/arranger doesn't connect to the lyrics in a visceral way ... is still a beautiful song.
(I mean Alexandra of course - couldn't sit through the boy band version and was shocked at how bad Diana's version - see You Tube - is).

Leonard says how much he enjoys female covers of his songs, and at the risk of making the Elder Statesmen of this website choke on their night caps, I think he might just have been touched by Alex's vocals tonight (especially the second time, when she sang through tears and ticker tape).

If you listened to her second live rendition, I don't think she made 'cold and broken Hallelujah' sound triumphal. She was stuck in 'power ballad' Whitney mode, but still gave the words a tinge of hurt. (Or was that just me, because they've soundtracked my life?)

I was impressed - a young woman who's just won a vulgar manufactured contest in a studio full of falling confetti and dollar signs, being forced to sing Hallelujah live - surely she must by definition ruin such a quiet sensual prayer of a song?

But she didn't.

She made me cry. If that makes me a musical lightweight and Cohen-Impurist, so be it.

Good luck to her (voice). x
scorp

Post by scorp » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:35 am

John Etherington wrote:Out of some perverse curiosity, I've just googled a video of Alexandra's "Hallelujah". Fortunately, it aborted itself halfway through. It's true that it could have been a lot worse, but this is exactly what I expected. It gets a sort of Whitney Houston style treatment that turns it into some sort of earnest Christmas song (just a few notches up from Cliff Richard's "Mistletoe and Wine"). Fortunately, I'm not using a television at present. Now all I have to do is avoid supermarkets that play music, and pubs with juke-boxes.

Bah humbug! John E
where is it? i can't see it on google [search] or youtube

but found a snippet on the bbc site [tho not via google]

first, she's speechless, then...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7782054.stm
scorp

Re: Hallelujah Christmas number one AND two?

Post by scorp » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:50 am

Paula wrote:That was what I thought too Hydriot. If I thought Leonard was going to get his royalties it would make the whole x-factor element that less painful.

Having said that the kudos of having a Christmas No. 1 penned by Leonard would be the icing on the cake to end a year in Britain where he has reclaimed Hallelujah at every concert I went to.

Leonard version is in my opinion the best version of Hallelujah and it always will be.

a bit of the winner here...after she's speechless and seemingly near collapse:

John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:51 am

Go to: http://xfactor.itv.com/videos/video-det ... 200634.htm Click on Alexandra Burke, then after a "Crunchy Nut" commercial (!), it should pop up on the screen. Actually, I've just watched the second half...it's all melodrama, with the crowd punching the air stadium-style. The song will now presumably be sung in many a drunken midnight choir for the next few weeks.

Cheers, John E
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:58 am

Of course, in America we are not able to watch the X-factor and perhaps that is not such a bad thing. However I will try to check out Alexandra on YouTube. I do have to admit (and believe me, this is embarassing) that last winter I reluctantly watched someone named Jason with dreadlocks on American Idol because several people at work followed it. He sang Hallelujah. I was mesmerised. Not by the person, but the song. Next day I went on to YouTube and discovered Jeff Buckley. That same day Hallelujah was the most EVER requested song on I-tunes...the JB version! But...I also saw this 1980's German tv version with Leonard. Thought, oh what the heck, he's the songwriter...I'll check him out. Well...the rest is history!

I had known about Leonard for decades as I am Canadian, but had known his songs only through covers. Suddenly the LC world opened up and there were cd's...dvd's...books of poetry...works of art...the forum...and a whole new experience of life and love and faith!

Perhaps...just perhaps....this will happen to one, or hundreds, in the next few days. Sometimes the quite prosaic can morph into the quite sublime. Hopefully ONE person will discover the true essence of Leonard's poetry, but hopefully many many more will be led to the source!

Diana~
scorp

Post by scorp » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:58 am

John Etherington wrote:Go to: http://xfactor.itv.com/videos/video-det ... 200634.htm Click on Alexandra Burke, then after a "Crunchy Nut" commercial (!), it should pop up on the screen. Actually, I've just watched the second half...it's all melodrama, with the crowd punching the air stadium-style. The song will now presumably be sung in many a drunken midnight choir for the next few weeks.

Cheers, John E
between crunchy nuts...and midnight choirs :-) Hmmm, there's a song in that, lol.

if you didn't see my edit in my last post. more drama with alexandra seemingly ready to collapse at one point:

ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:20 am

Just watched Alexandra. Great voice! She did deserve to win, but no one is the "owner" of the song more than Leonard! His emotion is so open and raw. A 20 year old is only mouthing the words and her talent is in the ability to do so.
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:24 am

Oh no John...I missed the "Crunchy Nut" commercial. Will check for that tomorrow :D
gingermop

Post by gingermop » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:28 am

Well... this is a song that will stand up to anything....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X0zxTdobf70
gingermop

Re: Hallelujah for X Factor Finalists - Who gets royalties?

Post by gingermop » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:36 am

John Etherington wrote:I guess it's now only a matter of time before football supporters adopt it a a chant for their team.
John, that already happened over a year ago. The song was altered to use the phrase "Mark Viduka" (a premier league footballer), often sung in the terraces. A version was sanctioned and recorded as a single.

If you missed it, so did a lot of people: you shouldn't be so concerned about whatever folks use this song for... if you write a classic, this is what happens. To me, it's kind of nice, so long as LC is credited as the author.

G x

Return to “News”