Leonard article from Brighton Argus (December 1st)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
John Etherington

Leonard article from Brighton Argus (December 1st)

Post by John Etherington » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:10 pm

Here's the link:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/whatson/music ... n__Nov_28/

Hopefully a concert review will follow (maybe today, Monday 2nd December?).

All good things, John E
John Etherington

Re: Leonard article from Brighton Argus (December 1st)

Post by John Etherington » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:19 am

In case anyone didn't realise, Tim's link above is the Argus concert review for Brighton (even though on the surface the link appears to be the same as the one I posted above).

All good things, John E
Habie

Post by Habie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:40 am

For those of us interested in words - with how much or how little originality they can be used - it's fun reading the endless stream of ecstatic reviews of the tour, to see the new ways journalists come up with to convey the sublime, the grace, the living legend, the humility, the quasi-sacred communion with the audience, etc.

I like articles like this one - simple and to the point, conveying all the main delights of the concert without pretension.

Each time I read a review, and remember that I was there, and it WAS like that, I feel almost incredulous to have been witness to this tour. In 1993 I thought Cohen had surely reached the pinnacle of his ability - Feh!

My only complaint, about this whole experience, and it's a big one (but not addressed to Leonard!) : how can those of us who've been enchanted beyond our wildest dreams, cope with going to the gigs of less generous performers for the rest of our lives? I am wary of buying concert tickets for any other 'living legend[s]' - how to trust them? How not to feel, 'hang on, concerts are supposed to start with Dance Me...'
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:43 am

Yes I know what you mean. No-one else can compare. There's a feeling of emptyness now its all over (for now). Its very hard explaining what you've witnessed to people not 'into' Leonard's music. So I keep reading these articles & looking at the videos to remind myself & live in hope for next year.
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
Henning

Post by Henning » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:12 pm

Hey friends - don't collapse. Music is a big universe. Sure, Leonard's live offer is extra-ordinary but please continue to visit the ordinary. If there was no ordinary, there would be no extra ordinary. Keep the ordinary alive and the extra-ordinary will remain extra for you. I am going to see the Tindersticks on Monday.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:29 pm

For those like Henning and I who wish to continue to expierence the 'extraordinary',
Mr Dylan's European tour was announced this morning.

Tickets for the UK dates went on sale at Ticketmaster this morning at 9am.

March 23rd,Stockholm, Globe Arena, Capacity 13,850
March 25th, Oslo, Spektrum
March 27th, Jönköping, Kinnarps Arena, Capacity 8,150
March 28th, Malmo, Malmo Arena, Capacity 15,000
March 29th, Copenhagen, Forum Copenhagen, Capacity 8,000
March 31, Hannover, AWD Arena
April 1, Berlin, Max Schmeling Halle
April 2, Erfurt, Messehalle
April 4, München, Zenith
April 5, Saarbrücken, Saarlandhalle
April 10th, Amsterdam, Heineken Music Hall
April 11th, Amsterdam, Heineken Music Hall
April 12th, Amsterdam, Heineken Music Hall
April 14th, Basel, St. Jakobshalle
April 16th, Milan – unconfirmed, Mediolanum Forum
April 17th, Rome, Pala Lottomatica
April 19th, Florence, Mandela Forum
April 20th, Geneva, Geneva Arena
April 21st, Strasbourg,
April 22nd, Brussels, Forest National
April 24th, Sheffield, Hallam Arena, Capacity 12,500
April 25th, London, O2 Arena, Capacity 20,000
April 28th, Cardiff, International Arena, Capacity 5,000
April 29th, Birmingham, NIA, Capacity 13,000
May 1st, Liverpool, Echo Arena, Capacity 7,500
May 2nd, Glasgow, SECC,
May 3rd, Edinburgh Playhouse – to be confirmed
May 5th, O2 Arena, Dublin (formerly The Point Depot), Capacity, 9,300
May 6th, O2 Arena, Dublin (formerly The Point Depot), Capacity, 9,300
Show(s) expected in Israel in June. Whether this is part of the European tour or a separate tour waits to be seen.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Habie

Post by Habie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:52 pm

So, Henning, you do admit the others are only ordinary... hmm, what a shame!

I don't do 'ordinary'. Life's too short. I was hoping someone would jump onto this thread and say, 'but what about xxx... And xxx? Their concerts are just as marvellous! So I could expand my list of concert heroes... (who are still alive, unlike Jacques Brel, Nina Simone, Fela Kuti, Lonnie Donnegan...)

As for you, Liverpoolken, as a lapsed Dylanophile, who once was found but now is lost when it comes to appreciating/understanding the point of still going to concerts of His Bobness, I fear we'd better not get into That Conversation again, lest it overrun yet another thread... you are a True and Faithful Apostle of Master Zimmerman, perhaps the only one left on here (along with my ex partner Simon - but even he, who was at Dylan's first ever UK gig and most of the others since then, who was filmed talking to Dylan during Don't Look Back and knows all the words to all the songs by heart, even he, after coming to two LC concerts this year, admits that... oh well, you know the rest).
So, no more on Dylan, all has been said. I admire your steadfastness, truly I do. (I am a lesser mortal - for me, if Leonard had performed this year the way Dylan does, I'd have gone only once).

Coming back to my original point, shall we start a new thread to ferret out the remaining Extraordinary Ones?
H x
Henning

Post by Henning » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:10 pm

Dearest Habie,

believe me, you DO the ordinary. Maybe not in music, but let's take "days" for example. You've got no other choice than to make it thru the ordinary days - many of the them in November, grey days, nothing really happens, let's call them the Bob Dylan days. And then there are the extra-ordinary days, a beautiful sun, perfect temperatures and you are embracing all activities and events, let's call them the Leonard Cohen days. This is not a complex world. With a little patience you can disassemble all things down to either zero (BD) or one (LC). And many thanks for the music of Bert Jansch. I liked it. It's neither Bob Dylan nor Leonard Cohen. It's something in between I guess.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Habie

Post by Habie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:33 pm

Dearest Henning
Well clearly, you and I have found the way to have only Extraordinary days, since we apparently spend 100% of our time, day and night, both awake and asleep, on this forum.
So that's the secret of a good life then - LC days in an LC daze. My Zanzibari friends would not understand, because they don't appreciate the therapeutic nature of instant messaging about Prophets.
But still... but still... those damn concerts this year really have made it harder to make other musicians matter. Maybe it's just me...
Kusse.
st theresa

eh? an ongoing European tour?????

Post by st theresa » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:58 am

Is John Etherington's post regarding a continuing European tour correct?
I must be dreaming--as I cannot see any follow up posts or a denial or confirmation from Jarkko.
hydriot

Re: eh? an ongoing European tour?????

Post by hydriot » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:01 pm

st theresa wrote:Is John Etherington's post regarding a continuing European tour correct?
I must be dreaming--as I cannot see any follow up posts or a denial or confirmation from Jarkko.
He was writing about a Bob Dylan tour.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
st theresa

Post by st theresa » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:17 am

oooops
Thanks Hydriot---I have been warned about not reading to the end of paragraphs. I shouldn't go online on a friday night after a week like last week.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:15 pm

I think st theresa's referring to this sentence from the Brighton Argus article that I gave a link to, at the top of this thread.

"And so Cohen began to plan the apparently never-ending tour he has now embarked upon, which, after finishing in Manchester on Sunday, is scheduled to resume again in the new year with a set of dates in Australia and New Zealand".

All good things, John E

Return to “News”