Montreal Tribute Concert Broadcast August 1

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
MarieM

Montreal Tribute Concert Broadcast August 1

Postby MarieM » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:22 am

Chengyi advises that the June 26 homage concert to Leonard that opened the Montreal Jazz Festival will be broadcast on Radio Canada at 9:00 p.m., August 1.

This was the set list and performers from the tribute concert;

Chris Botti: Hallelujah from a nearby roof, then projection of Leonard singing it on giant screens
Zachary Richard: Bird On A Wire
Buffy Sainte-Marie: The Partisan
Steven Page: A Singer Must Die
Adam Cohen: Take This Waltz
Adam Cohen with Serena Ryder: Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye
Serena Ryder: Sisters Of Mercy
Madeleine Peyroux: Dance Me To The End Of Love
Katie Melua: In My Secret Life
Lhasa de Sela with Thomas Hellman: So Long, Marianne
Lhasa de Sela: Who By Fire
Steven Page with Joe Lovano on the saxophone: Memories
Chris Botti (trumpet): A Thousand Kisses Deep with the words projected on the back of the stage
Garou: Everybody Knows
Michel Pagliaro: The Future
Leonard on the screen singing Closing Time
Artists come on stage for farewell with Adam Cohen center stage
Head of the Festival, Andre Menard, comes on stage to present award to Adam
Leonard on screen singing Suzanne
Marie
Speaking Cohen

http://www.speakingcohen.com
lizzytysh

Re: Montreal Tribute Concert Broadcast August 1

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:29 pm

Thanks for posting this, Marie 8) .

Meet me there, Eva... haha ;-) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Lostlyric

Postby Lostlyric » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:18 pm

Many excellent names on the list. But Lhasa de Sela I absolutely love her!!! Most of her work has been in Spanish (I have both of her albums). I hear more of her debut album titled "Lhasa" and find it simmering with sensuality and beauty. I think Lhasa singing Cohen would be the perfect marriage and can only hope Lhasa will publish covers of Cohen songs. It would be a true delight!!!

Best,

Biraj
"So if you're sitting all alone and hear a-knocking at your door and the air is full of promises, well buddy, you've been warned!!!"

Nick Cave on love
Lucas

Postby Lucas » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:51 pm

vern.silver

Postby vern.silver » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:55 pm

The tribute was broadcast on the French CBC television channel last night. I came across it accidently when channel surfing to see if there was anything interesting - talk about lucking out. Not being or speaking french, I don't normally pay much attention to this channel. Needless to say, I taped it - I had to be out last evening. It is titled - 'Chapeau Mr. Cohen: Un Hommage a Leonard Cohen.' I am watching the tape as I write this. So far:

Leonard Cohen - Suzanne (from the concert!!!!)
Adam Cohen and Serena Ryder - Hey, That's no way to say Good-bye
Serena Ryder - Sisters of Mercy
Lhasa De Sala - Who by Fire

I'll follow up with the complete list later.

Vern
"Clarence said a striking thing about rowing that I've always valued ... that he liked rowing because you were approaching life backward. You could clearly see the past, and you glanced quickly at the future over your shoulder.' Jim Harrison.
vern.silver

Postby vern.silver » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:05 pm

Here is the complete list:

Chris Botti - Hallelujah - trumpet solo
Leonard Cohen - Suzanne
Adam Cohen & Serena Ryder - Hey, That No way To Say Goodbye
Serena Ryder - Sisters of Mercy
Lhasa De Sala & Thomas Hellman - Who By Fire
Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah
Garoux - Everbody Knows
Micel Pagliaro - The Futur
Leonard Cohen - Closing Time

I noted that the three Leonard clips were broadcast on the screen during the tribute and it would be nice to kow when/where they were recorded. What is shown on the television broadcast does not appear to be recordings from the screens, but the actual video that was projected there. This gives me hope. Many of the concerts from the Montreal Jazz Festival are recorded for later viewing on television. Although the three songs 'appear to me' to be recorded without an audience at all - which goes to Leonard not wanting to taped live during his concerts. Just supposition on my part.

All and all, a great addition to my collection!!!

Vern
"Clarence said a striking thing about rowing that I've always valued ... that he liked rowing because you were approaching life backward. You could clearly see the past, and you glanced quickly at the future over your shoulder.' Jim Harrison.
Darling

Postby Darling » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:58 pm

The cable was down in my hometown last night so I couldn't watch the show, but if your list is complete it means that they cut lots of it: Zachary Richard, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Steven Page, Katie Melua, Madeleine Peyroux. In other words some of the best were missing.

If I am not mistaken, the Leonard Cohen images they showed us that night were taped on June 23rd at the Montreal Place-des-Arts. It was great to see him on the buildings of Montreal.
Linda S

Postby Linda S » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:55 am

Thanks for the list of what was shown on Canada TV, Vern. We were in Vancouver and caught it -- from Hallelujah to the end. I almost didn't believe my eyes while flipping channels and coming upon Leonard in concert :-)
Just finished watching what was shown on ARTE TV, and although more complete than the Canada show and with some wonderful interviews, it leaves out the 3 film clips of Leonard singing.
So, that means both shows are collectibles!
Linda
dick

Postby dick » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:31 pm

Do not of course know for sure... but my take when they came on at the Tribute, was that they were shot by Lian in the maritimes.... either Fredericton or one of the very early shows. Hairdo on Charlie Webb very different from Toronto and Montreal shows.

Sherlock Straub
margaret

Postby margaret » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:33 pm

Dick wrote: was that they were shot by Lian in the maritimes....

Sherlock Straub
Oh my, that sounds like it could be painful :shock:
vern.silver

Postby vern.silver » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:11 am

I just finished rewatching (several times as I was editing) the video I taped of the Canadian TV showing of the tribute and I am convinced that the video was shot seperately and not at a concert. As I watch it, there is no loud cheering as heard at all the other recordings as the somgs begin and end (and these are BIG songs!! in regards to audience responses), the 'performaances' of the band members seems more laid back, and there does not seem to be any 'lighting' effects that I remember from the concerts I attended (only two in Toronto) and from the youtube videos I have watched.

I just finished downloading the ARTE version and will look at it tomorrow - maybe I can edit the two together??

Vern

Return to “News”