NOW THE COUNTDOWN: Waiting For The News To Come

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
lizzytysh

Re: NOW THE COUNTDOWN: Waiting For The News To Come

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:51 am

Ohhhhhh... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for that clarification, Bev, because that's exactly what I was thinking!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
AlanM

Post by AlanM » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:08 am

Another clue,
A different blue.

Could this be the Blues Album?
I think, however, that Adam said there were no more vocals by Leonard hidden anywhere. so maybe an instrumental album of his songs with a Blues arrangement.

Is the album entitled Country Living, or just one of the tracks?
I recall that prior to the announcement of the album, Jarkko dropped in a comment about Popular Problems, in his usual devious way.
So, he didn't choose those 2 words randomly, is my assessment.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:19 am

Oh I want it to be a new album of studio outtakes or live versions but I feel that we were very lucky to get so many records after “Dear Heather” and especially lucky to get “Thanks for the Dance” and so many live albums from the 2000s tours. All of those were pretty great...except for the audio on “Live in Dublin.” I fear that if an album announcement was coming, it wouldn’t be delayed by 10 days while the final details get finished up. This suggests a different kind of project to me.

Anyway...I hope it’s an album but I am looking forward to whatever it is. I’m just glad there is news of any kind.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:50 am

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
B4real

Post by B4real » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:27 am

Ha! I reckon if you stare long enough at that spinning circle it would put you into a hypnotic trance!
It travels left to right but by adjusting my vision, I can make it do half a turn right to left constantly! It's like making time repeatedly hit its head against an invisible brick wall. Hope I'm not making it longer to wait ;-)

Hey guys, you all have such valid suggestions! I wondered about the relevance of those words “Country Living” too! Denotes again thoughts of those R&B old school Otis Redding style songs which were already stated as "sitting there" before LC's passing. But after Adam very emphatically stating no more albums, maybe not. Or it could be that this is a situation different enough to have a change of plan. It could be an amalgamation of the songs (more than enough for an album) that were already completed before LC’s passing – a combination of the R&B and the Strings ones, the latter of which LC said, ‘I might not see it finished, but I’d like it to be finished no matter what.’ Now that would take some engineering to get them to mutually co-exist, so hence it’s taken longer than first anticipated.

Another far less complicated thought says all that Fleur-de-lis flavoured image (on the previous page) as a whole could be doing is emphasising that taking time and care will ensure the end result is definitely “sweeter” and totally worth waiting for whatever fruit is to come to fruition. No matter if it’s a solitary piece or a mixed fruit salad.

But don’t forget about the original hummingbird clue. A bit of abstract thinking here - it could be Jarkko’s reverse psychology plan. Maybe it’s nothing to do with the actual hummingbird logo associations as I've said before (or maybe it still is) but it simply points us in the direction of the essence of the song, Listen To The Hummingbird. Listen to everyone else saying their way of how it is (or was) and that may not be totally by way of song. Or it could be a pointer to the repeated and very last line in that song of, “Don’t listen to me.” Therefore, it’s back to “No words this time? No Words”. And now I’ve gone around in a complete circle (must stop staring at the circle countdown clock!) and no doubt I’ll change my mind once again with the next clue, if there is one :) Ha! A lot of buts, ors, coulds and maybes here!!

In all truthfulness whatever it is, I simply say to you Jarkko, thank you, for giving me opportunity to once again live on the edge of my LC seat!!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:03 pm

In response to the comments by Bev and Lizzy, earlier in this thread, when I mentioned needing to be patient in a twofold way, as a grandfather-in-waiting, I can say my patience in this respect has now been rewarded. :D

So if you’re Interested in the details, please refer to my post here:
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 18&t=38985

Okay, now it’s a matter of being patient for the other news, with 8 more days to go... and though my grandfather news was sped up by the baby being medically induced early, I suspect we can’t do likewise for this other “baby” we’re all waiting for. :razz:

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:20 am

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:27 am

da2008

Post by da2008 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:51 pm

It's speeding up... Lovely :D
da2008

Post by da2008 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:04 pm

Oh never mind, it's still just one number per day :lol:

****Well, that's how it goes... or not :roll: / Jarkko****
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:42 pm

jarkko wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:27 am
So it's a box set of something Jarkko? Did I get it right? What do I win???? :lol:
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
James T

Post by James T » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:59 pm

Feels to me if there is a delay while they get it ready, it almost certainly relies on some kind of web development? Maybe an online archive? that would be great, but I am also hoping there is some kind of physical product coming which is new and exciting. Anything is welcome, though.... We'll see.
B4real

Post by B4real » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:12 am

B4real wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:27 am
No matter if it’s a solitary piece or a mixed fruit salad.
Ha! Seems like a fruit salad, doesn't it ;-)

da2008 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:04 pm
Oh never mind, it's still just one number per day :lol:

****Well, that's how it goes... or not :roll: / Jarkko****
hummm...... I think the speed of the countdown clock is susceptible to change ;-)
Even though LC likes to take it slower and by Jarkko's "expression" that could be likely, but let's hope it goes a little faster!
Last edited by B4real on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:23 am

GREAT GUESS, Mary!! :lol: I wonder!! :D

I am also wondering if Jarkko's choice of that amazingly expressive, action stick figure is simply symbolic, as a way to very effectively encapsulate just HOW surprised and happy we'll be... or if it's to depict something literal, something we'll be able to physically open, behold with our own eyes, and rejoice about with surprise and delight!! (Or, back to Mary, if it IS a boxed set... and, if it's not, this would certainly be the perfect clue for it if it were!!)

I'm also wondering if the two words "complex" and "ambitious" were Robert Kory's words to Jarkko, and passed on to us; or, if they're Jarkko's assessment and chosen vocabulary for what he knows that we don't.

"Oh, I wonder Wonder WONDER, OHohhh, WHO, WHO wrote the book of LOVE... " (an old, American hit song). ;-)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
da2008

Post by da2008 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:07 am

Oh that's a brilliant guess, Mary.

So it's 12:07am. The countdown stands at '7' :D

I love the suspense :)

Return to “News”