CONCERT REPORT: Lucca (July 27)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
markbowen

Re: Lucca (July 27)

Post by markbowen »

Eh, now I feel guilty for mentioning any problems at the show, hijacking the thread from spell, and turning it into a grumble fest. Not my intention.

As lorenzob reminded, whatever difficulties some might have experienced at the start of the concert, the music won the evening. It was a great concert, perfectly capped near the end by spell's funny and warm exchange with LC.
1988 & 1993: Washington, DC / 2008: Lucca, Italy / 2009: Belgrade, Serbia
takemywaltz

Post by takemywaltz »

Hello to all LC fans

I came so far for beauty... from Barcelona to Lucca, that battlefield Leonard sang once... Leonard at the heart of the Toscana, a dream made true. I saw him at Barcelona at 1988 and 1993 and i agree with all the people who said here that the show was brilliant, fantastic... (but not the organization)

Some particular points I would like to add: no songs from "Songs of love and hate", just the "Bird" from the "room" and just "I tried to leave you" from the "Skin"at the end of the show as usual. This Leonard sings too many songs from "The Future" but just a little walk in the 60,s and 70,s (exclude the first album, which he cannot pass it by).

Well, anyway, I love all Cohen songs and I really enjoyed the show. Hope I will see him again soon at my city.

Thanks to Mr. Cohen and best regards to all of you, fans!
andrea

Post by andrea »

Hi ,
For those who cannot immagine the chaos we assisted in Lucca in the beginning,
here a link where you can see it, and it is only a little part of the parkett you can see there.

http://www.la7.it/news/dettaglio_video. ... spettacolo

The organization was really very bad :cry: I live in Italy for many years and felt sooo embarrased :oops: for that chaotic start due to people coming late and seats advicers sending them around forward and backwards, so I really felt like having to apologize to Leonard and the group. They definetly did not deserve this.
After London and Loerrach, both concerts well organized in Lucca, I lost one hour of enjoying the Lucca concert, the first half hour for people walking arround, talking, quarelling for seats ecc, the last half hour for uneducated people all going to the front covering the view completely , some of them even standing on the seats .
But the evening was save, THANKS TO THE MARVELOUS CONCERT, thank you Leonard. :D
Andrea
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich
andrea

Post by andrea »

1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Tom,
Just a brief thank you for your great review. I am still living in the incredible composition of the amazement of this experience. I had always thought that I had missed the *prime* of Leonard's concerts in the '88 & '93 versions, but I am now convinced that we have seen Leonard in the prime of his performing experience.

I have just a couple of observations in line with yours-when Dino Soldo plays, it is with such enthusiasm and vigor that one immediately understands the motivation that on the recordings sound like attention drawing measures, but in person is apparent to be perfect tribute material. I will never forget seeing him walk over to Bob Metzger and put his arm around him as the sublime Webb sisters sang their version of "If It Be Your Will."

I was so startled by the clarity and power of Leonard's voice that was so different from the voice that was recorded on "Ten New Songs' and "Dear Heather."

"A Thousand Kisses Deep" is such a moving experience-the changing words make one appreciate all of the effort that went into this great poem. Combined with his recitation of "It It Be Your Will" and the Webb sisters singing-it begins and ends with the recitations that began Leonard's career and ends with a great cover version that will continue to extend it.

Did you meet Doron? Did you get a chance to spend any time with Andrea & Marco? I certainly envy these aspects of your trip.

Take care, my good friend-hopefully we can meet again soon.

Warm regards,

Joe

P. S. Hugs from Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Happygirl

Post by Happygirl »

Ciao everyone,

We got back to Dublin from Lucca last night after a fabulous long weekend that seemed slightly surreal - in a very good way. What a perfect setting for a Leonard gig. A few of us from the forum had already met up on Saturday for some aperitivo in a cafe followed by dinner in a trattoria (mile grazie to Claudia for being the most perfect host/tourguide!). We discovered that a shared interest in Leonard's music also guaranteed a lively conversation for hours on end. So thank you Leonard for getting a couple of strangers to feel like they'd been reunited with long lost friends. The day of the concert we climbed the Guinigi tower (the one with the trees growing on top of it) and Sarah pointed out some writing on a roof that said 'Where is the happyness?'. Well, we all knew the answer to that: it is in Piazza Napoleone on Sunday at 9.30pm and in our hearts! Listening to the sound check before the concert was a lovely treat. Leonard acknowledged the heartfelt applause of the crowd gathered at the fences around the seated area with a wave of his hat and a warm smile. After a few drinks in Stella Polare (update from Andrea - who kindly organised it - to follow I believe...folks from Perth and Kyoto probably the long distance contest winners, fair play to you both!) with around twenty other forum members from all over the world the spectacle could begin.

And Tom, can I just say I know exactly what you mean about different levels of experiencing the concert. On my personal experience level - if you wanna call it that - Lucca came out as the more emotional gig for me. I had an excellent seat in Dublin and people sang along more (which always gives me goosebumps), but there was so much noise going on in the audience around me (picknick atmosphere almost) that it took me much longer to settle into the whole thing. Even though I was also one of the people stuck in the 'Lucca Queue' (our excuse was having to toast my upcoming birthday and forgetting a bit about time...) the rest of the gig was just unbelievable! (By the way, there was a second queue in Lucca: the one to get your internet bookings converted into real tickets. The ticket booth was placed on the street in such a way that people started queueing across the road and we had to keep letting cars and bikes pass through. But we made the best of that half hour and had a nice chat with some other people who'd been to Leonard gigs around Europe. Easy as that.) And with regard to thanking/acknowledging the musicians several times during the night: they are all talented artists in their own right (at varying stages in their careers) and while the fact that Leonard picked them for the tour could be seen as enough praise to last for a lifetime, I think if nothing else, it strengthens the bond between them as a group. It's nice to be appreciated and it showed in their faces. As long as he plays this many songs at each gig, I don't mind how many minutes of clapping there are in between really.

Our seats in Lucca were a bit further back, but for the encores we went to the front and thankfully the security people were understanding and didn't drag us away (mille grazie!). So we crouched behind some seats and that part of the gig made all the difference to me. Looking around me I could see the other people's faces who all had something like 'best moment of my life/can't believe this is real' written over them. Glad I found a tissue in one of my pockets (just thinking about it makes me teary-eyed again). For me going to a Leonard gig is nothing short of therapeutic. It centres me and reminds me of the things I should be concentrating on in my life and what not to worry about. And sharing this experience with some of the lovely, likeminded people from the forum we met for the first time this weekend really was the icing on the cake!

Also, having read one of the threads on how some people would prefer a more 'spontaneous' experience I just wanted to say that, for me, no concert is ever the same no matter how similar the arrangements seem. While you can rehearse an agreed setlist and present the songs perfectly, the interaction between the artist and the audience is always excitingly unexpected and unique. I might have heard a particular song many times, but on another night it could suddenly mean so much more to me. And I am personally amazed how well Leonard does with never missing a single beat or getting a single line wrong. You know sometimes, when things are very very perfect (which is usually due to incredibly hard work by artists and technical crew), a possible side effect is that they might appear slightly 'static', but that's indeed a small price to pay for this level of perfection. I'd rather read people discussing this in the forum than about an artist forgetting whole lines (have been to a few gigs where they made up entirely new verses as they went along, quite a skill actually) or appearing in other ways unprofessional. In my opinion, Leonard manages to get the balance between professionalism as an artist, a lovely sense of humour and irony, a very endearing kindness and childlike excitement - which few people his age still possess - exactly right. When he gets on stage it's like someone has turned on a light in a really dark room. And his crooked smile is just priceless.

P.S. Big hello to all from the Stella Polare crowd and our Italian/Irish/German/Finnish 'Party of Five' of course! Hope you got home safely/are still enjoying your holidays and if anyone feels like meeting up at another gig in the future, am already penciling in a few potential dates in my calendar. If you have spare tickets for good seats in any of the autumn gigs, do get in touch. Haven't had time to download pix and videos yet, but will do asap.
I lit a thin green candle {in Barcelona} to make you jealous of me
Dublin 13th July 08 - Lucca 27th July 08 - Dublin 19th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd July 09 - Barcelona 21st Sept 09 http://lifeisafestival.wordpress.com/
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

lorenzoB wrote:I still do not dare to listen to Leonard Cohen CDs, because what I heard in Lucca is still resonating in my brain...I do not want to "wash out" the music still playing inside me...
The same here, Lorenzo, I simply don't have the courage. I am enjoying Sharon's CD, and listening Madredeus... I think I will not be able to hear Leonard for few weeks, and then only studio records, nothing recorded on this tour.

Whatever you read, hear, see, etc. about how the shows are the same, and the usual setlist, it can't be compared to the experience there - it's like first time every night I guess. It was *my* first time. It's third day already, and things aren't going better with my emotions about that night, so I am trying not to think about it :) Once again, thank you to everybody involved.

I traveled with car 11 hours in every direction (about 20 altogether) and it was worth it. I only wish that Leonard visits as many cities he can, because everybody who ever listened to his music from the heart, and who cannot afford to travel (I know at least 20 such people in my town) will have a life's experience.

Happygirl, thank you for your post :)
victorlaszlo

Photos from the Lucca 2008 Concert

Post by victorlaszlo »

Ciao,

Took some photos during the concert that I'd like to share with you.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able yet to upload them all, but will do so in the next coming days.

In the meantime, enjoy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fearandloa ... 443247754/

/.vic
lemonche

Post by lemonche »

chprp wrote:
Tom Sakic wrote:It was the usual and traditional Italian chaos. The problems were not in organisation, but people coming to show at 2130 except earlier, and then, seats were marked with codes, to make it as hardest to find they could.
Sorry mr. Sakic, what you wrote is quite offensive and... totally out of reality! Did you read what I posted on 07/28? I didn't come to the show at 21:30 but 20:50 like many other people, and so on. I'm just tired of this story. I'm a fan of LC. I was only interested in following the concert as you were allowed to do. But I wasn't. It's bitter.
Well... maybe you should come earlier ;-) It's not organisation problem that most of the people came half hour earlier. I came around 20h and I had no problems with finding my seat, maybe next time you all should come earlier so you wouldn't complain.
chprp

Post by chprp »

lemonche wrote:Well... maybe you should come earlier ;-) It's not organisation problem that most of the people came half hour earlier. I came around 20h and I had no problems with finding my seat, maybe next time you all should come earlier so you wouldn't complain.
Thanks for the lesson lemonche, ;-) ! Now I remember why I do not love fan's forums and fans in general ;-) ! I'll try to unsubscribe from here. And I'll continue adoring LC. But by myself ;-) !
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

There also were many people from Slovenia and Croatia on the show, even with the organised buses.

Here are two great photos from http://www.hrphotocontest.com/index.php ... e&gID=3052 - taken by Jelena from Zagreb. She promised many more for The Files!

tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Just published: long, detailed and acclaiming report from leading Croatian music site, http://www.muzika.hr:

http://www.muzika.hr/default.aspx?id=16949
lavendergirl

Post by lavendergirl »

Before I went to Lucca I thought one concert would be enough for me, but it was so fantastic that I must go again. I've only been a LC fan for the last few years and I never thought I would see him in concert so this was a really wonderful experience for me. We were seated at 8.45 with no difficulty & had 45 mins of emotional anticipation -it's a long time since I can remember being so excited. I loved the warm balmy evening in the piazza setting and from the first note I was completely enthralled. I thought all the musicians were brilliant, individually and as a whole and I am incredulous that a 74 yr old can sing with such clarity and passion - he just did not sound like an old man. I loved the slightly incredulous and delighted look on his face that the audience loved his songs so much. I found it a very emotional experience and one that I will be glad of for the rest of my life. I would urge anyone who might be considering whether to go to a LC concert to beg, borrow, or use their credit card & just go ahead and book a ticket. I'm convinced they will not regret it - more likely to regret not seeing such a consumate performer. Thanks to Gudrun for selling me such great tickets at face value.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

6 videos at http://youtube.com/user/VercingetorigeX

The videos show the atmosphere during the show (and people searching their places), but also - if you listen to Leonard and the playing - how powerful and inspired show it was. It really does sound strong, despite all obstacles - sound mix is unbelievable good, as I recall it was. Just listen to powerful Ain't No Cure For Love, through all those people's voices in the background.
markbowen

Re: Photos from the Lucca 2008 Concert

Post by markbowen »

Thank you for these. We were not in any position to get good pictures in Lucca, so these are nice to see.
1988 & 1993: Washington, DC / 2008: Lucca, Italy / 2009: Belgrade, Serbia

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”