CONCERT REPORT: Lucca (July 27)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
vile101

Re: Lucca (July 27)

Post by vile101 »

Heyy all,

new poster to the forum here, so go easy on me :D. I'd like to share my feelings of the Lucca gig, if for no other reason than that I promised one one forum member at the gig that I would...

Seeing mountains does the funnies to me (makes me all poetic), and the text below came from Lucca...

The setting, the venue, could not have been more beautiful and more "tuning-to-the-mood-for-leonard" than it was. The dark blue velvet sky, the statue on the middle of the piazza, the occasional aerial effect of pigeons flying and leaves blown by the gentle summer wind over the audience. And myself in Italy for the first time, doing my best to keep good company to four lovely ladies ( ;-) to the party of five mentioned by happygirl), which did really affect my mood... in the most positive way imaginable.

Yes... the first 3 songs were marred by organizational issues. 'nuff said on this forum already.

The first cold shivers crawled their merry way up and down my spine at the first beats of "Who by Fire".
And they just wouldn't go away afterwards.

Songs that had not moved me too much (only in comparison to other LC songs, that is) before suddenly filled my conciousness with new ideas. I'd been a fan of the modern, wistful, slightly-sarcastic-but-nonetheless-optimistic LC for about 11 years now. I'd been a fan of the outsider and the commentator of the late 80's and the early 90's. "I'm Your Man" and "The Future" had been Cohen for me.
Now "Hallelujah", "Gypsy's wife", "If it be your will"... and many more impacted me in strange and beautiful ways. I learned to appreciate the music of Leonard Cohen all over again.

Was fantastic to meet other fans at the forum members meeting before and after the show, thanks to everyone.

During the interval, three words filled my mind: Dove sta memora. "Where the memory resides", or, the place were emotion is at one with intellect... that place might as well be called "Leonard Cohen-land".

The set was simply too perfectly crafted - more than half the time I felt like I just knew what was coming next (had not read any setlists of the tour!), on the few songs that I did not know, I could feel the lyrics, could know the next line... too much to put down to simple synchronities. That was Leonard exerting his persona, his influence on the crowd, and me. That was place, the mindscape, away from the "darkness and chaos" of the world, as LC so eloquently put it.

Helsinki gig next, and while I do not dream that the setting could be even half as good, there's one request: volume, up, up, up and then some :)

Mille grazie, signor Cohen. Your words and your voice are in my pulse, my heart, my breath.

*edit*

was I the only finn there?
harros

Post by harros »

Hello to all the forum members who met at Stellar Polare prior to the Luca concert. I have finally got back to Perth (Australia) via Hong Kong. A long trip but certainly worth it for what was a very special Leonard Cohen concert. Thank you all for your companionship, it was terrific to mix with other Cohenites. All the best, John (harros) ps.Andrea, looking forward to some photos etc from stella polare
Happygirl

Post by Happygirl »

Thanks for your posts! At this stage my colleagues and friends are starting to get a bit bored with me raving about the gig in Lucca (of course WE all know they are really just envious). So it's good to have this place to go to and remind myself that it really happened and I'm not the only one who's heart has been that affected by Leonard's lovely music and presence. Looking forward to hear more reports from other Stella Polare people and anybody else who we met at the gig. I saw a woman with a LC t-shirt in a supermarket in Dublin the day after we got back and we had a chat in the vegetable isle about how brilliant the Dublin gig was and how some of her friends had been to one gig while she looked after their kids and vice versa. Isn't it amazing how you can connect with total strangers this way because of how special Leonard's music is to us. I love it :-)
Very happy greetings from Dublin!
I lit a thin green candle {in Barcelona} to make you jealous of me
Dublin 13th July 08 - Lucca 27th July 08 - Dublin 19th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd July 09 - Barcelona 21st Sept 09 http://lifeisafestival.wordpress.com/
lemonche

Post by lemonche »

chprp wrote: Thanks for the lesson lemonche, ;-) ! Now I remember why I do not love fan's forums and fans in general ;-) ! I'll try to unsubscribe from here. And I'll continue adoring LC. But by myself ;-) !
sorry, man, didn't ment to offend you or anything ;-) I just wanted to say that you could avoid that mess at the gate by coming earlier, that's all. but nevermind, the concert was great, leonard is great and that's only what matters :D
it's hard to walk tall when you're small
andrea

Post by andrea »

Hello Lucca Meetup guys,
Here just 3 pics, try to make one more posting
andrea
Attachments
DSCN6169.JPG
DSCN6169.JPG (55.56 KiB) Viewed 30871 times
DSCN6166.JPG
DSCN6166.JPG (50.36 KiB) Viewed 30870 times
DSCN6162.JPG
DSCN6162.JPG (53.26 KiB) Viewed 30867 times
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich
andrea

Post by andrea »

Here are some more...enjoy them

Andrea and Marco
Attachments
DSCN6176.JPG
DSCN6176.JPG (51.73 KiB) Viewed 30849 times
DSCN6164.JPG
DSCN6164.JPG (49.27 KiB) Viewed 30851 times
DSCN6163.JPG
DSCN6163.JPG (41.61 KiB) Viewed 30847 times
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
andrea

Post by andrea »

last ones...

A message to our webmaster: if those are too many photos , take them off , I do not know how to share them otherwise ;-)
Attachments
DSCN6175.JPG
DSCN6175.JPG (54.93 KiB) Viewed 30840 times
DSCN6178.JPG
DSCN6178.JPG (45.71 KiB) Viewed 30843 times
mar

Post by mar »

The only thing that comes to my mind after such a wonderful night is thank you to Leonard Cohen and all the band for changing my life again.
I would like to thank especially Javier Mas, as he took a present (a book) I had for Leonard and told me he would give it to him. He was very kind, and he is an amazing musician. I don't know if he will ever read this, but I don't know any other way to reach him.
Finally, thanks too to the people who organized the meeting, and sorry for not having said goodbye (my sister got lost in Lucca and I had to run to look for her). I hope we can meet again.
merton

Re: Photos from the Lucca 2008 Concert

Post by merton »

Hi ,

This might be of interest. The day after the Lucca concert I walked through the courtyard behind the stage and picked up a sheet of paper for the event timing on the day of the concert. On Unified Heart headed paper it read:
"Show Day
1.00 - 3.00 pm Lunch
1.00 - 4.pm NO NOISE
5.30 - 7.30pm Sound Check
6.30pm Square cleared of public
7.30 -Doors
7.30 - 8.30 pm Dinner
9.30 - 10.25 Show
10.25 - 10.45 Intermission
10.45 - 12.20 Show

Crew Notes: Lucca after show travel to Rome, 345km's 6 hours.Buses will drop us off at venue in Rome and then leave.They will pick us up at the airport in London when we fly Athens to London."
Lucca - it seems so long ago. :)
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Jelena Topcic's photos from Lucca are now published at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/tour2008-17.html

Also, yesterday's Sunday appendix of leading Croatian newspapers had the whole page with report from the Lucca show. Online at http://www.jutarnji.hr/nedjeljni_jutarn ... ,129438.jl
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen »

Dear friends,

Back in Kyoto, finally, after the magical weekend in Lucca – seem so long ago… - and a homeland visit to Israel. How nice to see here all the reports and photos from that unforgettable evening. Later I will try to add a few photos of my own. It was so good meeting people from all over Europe. I wish I was nearer and could meet you all more often. And there was also John, who traveled even a longer distance than me, coming from Australia – good for you. Still jet-legged and sleepy, so I’ll keep it short.

Love to you all,

Doron
andrea

Post by andrea »

Hi Lucca meetups,
I still have the list with email addresses of the meetup guys from Bar Stella Polare , but did not have time to write a list and send it to all the ones who were present. So if someone of you wants some particular email address urgently, let me know . I hope to be able to make it soon.
Greetings
Andrea (from Verona)
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Sound check in Lucca filmed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZ0isKztUY

(yep, his voice so much better than on new clips from the Fall tour...)
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Lucca (July 27)

Post by sturgess66 »

Video just uploaded by Stefano Calanchi

Leonard Cohen Lucca 2008 (Dance Me To The End Of Love and The Future)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu7iPc_YKns

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”