CONCERT REPORT: Edinburgh (July 16)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
spiritualcatwoman

Re: Edinburgh July 16th

Post by spiritualcatwoman »

Hi all you lovely LC fans. I also went to see the great man in Edinburgh . I took my partner who did not want to go as he thought that everytime there was an LC concert the Smarating got increased calls - ha ha. Anyway, I adore the man and the concert was absolutely fab and guess what, my partner was so moved by the voice of LC, his poetry and his songs, yes you have got it. He is now a convert and we are booked to see him in Birmingham in November.

I have never had such a moving experience as I did seeing LC performing. Thank you Leonard Cohen for making my dream come true as I alwyas wanted to see you and never in my wildest dreams did I think I would. I love you loads. :D

From Spitirualcatwoman.
LindisfarneLad

Post by LindisfarneLad »

The event organisers were woeful, it was cold, it ended up wet, but Lenny was wonderful :D
The man just lifts the soul.

I've now got tickets for the Armedillo in Glasgow for November 5th, and that to me is a perfect setting to see and hear Lenny at his best.

I'm sure this stupid smile I have on my face will remain till I see you again Lenny :D
spiritualcatwoman

I also have tickets for the concert in Birmingham in November and cannot wait to see the great man again. At least we will be under cover this time. Howedver you could not beat the greatness of the Edinburgh Castle towering above us and yes, LC added to the magic of the evening. I sat next to some beautiful people and we all sang and cried together. I will treasure the moment forever!!.

Spiritualcatwoman 8)
spiritualcatwoman

Can anyone tell me if there is a Leondard Cohen fan club ??.
margaret

Post by margaret »

spiritualcatwoman wrote:Can anyone tell me if there is a Leondard Cohen fan club ??.
This Forum? ;-)
Murf

Post by Murf »

I so much enjoyed the show, I didn't get in to Leonard until about 10 years ago (I'm 28) and it seemed for so long that he had retired from touring, so when the tour was announced I was ecstatic, he didn't disappoint, it was beautiful. Highlights for me were 'Ain't No Cure For Love', A Thousand Kisses Deep and Closing Time, though I loved every second.

I went alone (my friends aren't Cohen fans, heathens :roll: ) and was amazed how pleasant everyone was, I chatted to several people after the gig, a couple from Inverness, a couple from Washington (what an amazing distance to travel), some people from Dublin, everyone I spoke to was very friendly.

I enjoyed it that much I'm going to Berlin in October and Brum in November!
spiritualcatwoman

I shall also be at the Brum concert in November so lets hope we get the same brilliant performance again. I shall miss the beautiful setting of Edinburgh Castle :( , however LC will make up for it.

Spititualcatwoman. 8)
alexw123

Post by alexw123 »

LC was fantastic in Edinburgh. I had a better view than I had in Dublin and enjoyed it more for that reason. I liked seeing the reaction of the band.

I was a bit disappointed that the set seemed shortened, but for the time he was on I loved it. I think the band was getting a bit cold so maybe that is why they came off early. I would have sat in the cold and rain for much longer.

I now have a ticket for the O2. I was considering going to Berlin before the extra UK dates were added. I bought 2 hoping that I could find a like minded soul to accompany me - then my 17 year old son said he would come to this one - so another convert in the making.
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

I'll restrict my comments about that incredible evening of beauty to just one song: If It Be You're Will, recited in part by Leonard, then followed by the Webb sisters.
From my angle (north block, row G, seat 24), I had a clear view of Leonard at the back of the stage. He stood, head bowed, didn't move at all for the whole of the song, as if he was meditating. Most of the audience couldn't see this, yet my gaze switched berween the Webb sisters and Leonard throughout the song.
If It Be Your Will is one of the most beautiful songs ever written, by Leonard Cohen or anybody else.

Andrew.
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

Silly Andrew: the song is called "If It Be Your Will", and not "If It Be You're Will" 8)
It just goes to show why I can only restrict myself to one song at a time :D

Perhaps I'll get the title right in my next post :?:

Andrew.
ms.blue

Post by ms.blue »

Well spotted Andrew and i agree it is amazing. I thought the Webb sisters did a beautiful job with it and yes leonard appeared immersed . The DVD i'm your man has a very emotional version by Antony Hegarty. On the strength of the one song I have booked to see him at the Barbican in Oct!!! ;-)
valglasfan

Post by valglasfan »

When i found out that LC was coming to Glasgow (where i live), I must confess, my immediate response was "oh no, got to make a decision!!"; lets face it it's not cheap, and I felt that there would have to be a good reason to beat "perfection" of the Edinburgh experience. Then I got truthful with myself - hey, it wasn't perfect, Ticketmaster ripped me off for distant seats despite being there for the start of sale, the organisers got us in after the concert had started, despite being there for 7pm (earlier blogger should have been a bit less judgemental about "latecomers"). Quite distressing to hear the roar of the crowd as he came on while we ran up the street to get in, my sister panting to danger level.
Of course it was fantastic to see/hear him, and there is a lot of magic about the venue - the backdrop, the torches etc, and great company for me personally made it a great night on the whole. But I can't disagree with "disappointed" about some of the overblown arrangements - a bit muzac like, right enough, and I too was slightly disappointed about the earlier than expected end of set, and a bit bemused by the constant band intros. So i reckoned I had a few reasons to fill in the blanks left out of an otherwise unforgettable concert by the great man, got myself (yes just one this time) a reasonably good ticket for SECC.
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

I agree with most of what you say valglasfan especially re ticketmaster, castle organisation and the band intro's. The venue is not great for concerts. The floor seats sloped back slightly away from the stage and I had a lousy view from just over half way back. I don't agree that the arrangements were overblown. I thought they suited the band perfectly. When the tour was announced I never expected the concerts to be this good. They were unbelievable.

The London O2 show, the following day, was even better than Edinburgh partly because it was longer, by almost 40 mins, but also because of the screens which gave a detailed view to the majority of the audience. The sound quality was also better although I suppose that is to be expected indoors. (What let the O2 down was trying to get away by Tube which took almost two hours to Paddington).

I notice from the "U Tubes" that most of the large venues seemed to have screens. Why didn't Edinburgh? I really hope they use them for the next leg. Especially (being selfish) Cardiff, Bournemouth and Birmingham.
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”