London O2 July 17th Meet up

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Tim

London O2 July 17th Meet up

Post by Tim » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:00 am

Posted on behalf of David and Padma - please PM Padma if you're coming, and Padma will maintain a list of those going, later in this thread

Tim

London July 17th - Meet up itinerary

10.00 ASSEMBLE AT RAY’S JAZZ CAFÉ IN FOYLES, CHARING CROSS ROAD
http://www.foyles.co.uk/shops.asp
Foyles is a British cultural treasure: a huge, independent bookstore in Charing Cross Road which combines academic and popular stock and is renowned for the erudition and friendliness of its staff.
Note that we are meeting at the CHARING CROSS shop, and Ray’s café is on the First Floor.To identify me, please see This photo

10.30 WALKING TOUR, EMBRACING PHOTOGRAPHERS' GALLERY, COVENT GARDEN AND ST. PAUL'S CATHEDRAL
(WITH POSSIBLE COFFEE STOP AT ST. PAUL’S)
The Photographer’s Gallery is a Mecca for those interested in the art, and one of London’s best secrets. http://www.photonet.org.uk/index.php?pid=18

12.30 BANK STATION,TRAVEL TO GREENWICH
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_and_Monument_stations for history snippets.

12.45 ARRIVE AT GREENWICH
See here for history and attractions, if you want to wander: http://www.greenwichwhs.org.uk/

13.00 TAPAS ORGANIC FOR LUNCH
http://www.theorganictapasco.com/
180 Greenwich High Road, SE10 8NN.
Tel 020 8 269 0003
Nearest stations: Greenwich Station (over ground – from London Bridge); DLR CuttySark (underground from Bank)
Click here for a map

for anyone who is planning to eat at the Tapas bar, the tapas meal is a set menu - £10.00 per head plus drinks.

14.30 TRAFALGAR TAVERN
http://www.trafalgartavern.co.uk
6 Park Row, Greenwich, London SE10 9NW
Tel 020 8 858 2599
A friendly pub with a stunning riverside view.
Click here for a map

17.30 LEAVE PUB TO CATCH BOAT TO VENUE
The boat fare is £4.50 without a travel card and £2.60 with.

Dear friends:

Please see above for the July 17th itinerary.

Some important notes:

1. Please pm Padma to confirm you’ll be coming, and at which stage you’re joining the day. This is especially important if you want to have lunch at the tapas bar, where numbers are limited to 40. I will let you know if we cannot accommodate you for lunch, and I apologise in advance if demand exceeds supply. There are plenty of marvelous things to see and do in Greenwich, and of course there is the pub gathering afterwards.

2. We will have a very handsome hardback notebook in which everyone will be invited to write, draw or both something to mark this occasion. Jarkko has kindly agreed to send this to Leonard Cohen afterwards. Given the location, I couldn’t resist calling this The Book of Longitude.

3. There will be a quiz running in the pub, the first prize for which is a unique collection of rare Leonard Cohen material which is kindly being compiled by Jarkko. The other prizes are t-shirts depicting Cohen, Syd Barrett and Jimi Hendrix, generously provided by Rocktees.

I hope there is something for everyone during the day.

PLEASE DON’T FORGET TO PM PADMA.

Thanks,

David
Padma

Re: London O2 July 17th Meet up

Post by Padma » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:40 am

This is the list of people who have said they will be joining us on the day at some stage. If you would like to be added to the list, please pm me! You need to let me know if you will be joining us for lunch - the restaurant can only seat a maximum of 40 people.
DAY = Joining us for the whole day's activities. LUNCH - Tapas lunch 1.00pm onwards PUB - Trafalgar Tavern approx. 2.30 - 3.00 onwards

Jarkko and Eija (Finland) DAY
Sinikka, Pirkko and Keith (Finland) DAY
Rauli and Jenni (Finland)
Andrew Darbyshire plus 1 (Australia!!) DAY
Paola Pigozzi and Antonio Savi (Italy) DAY
Kim Solez and Karine Renaudin (Canada) DAY
Eddie and Maarten Massi, and Ann Mechiels (Belgium) LUNCH AND PUB
Barbara (Germany) DAY
Dave, Joanie and Joseph (UK) PUB
Celia and Hannah (UK) PUB
Colin and Meriel (UK) PUB
Jim Devlin (UK) PUB
Gina (UK) PUB
Liesbeth PUB
David Thompson (UK) PUB
Susan and Kent Qvist (Sweden) DAY
Sue (UK) PUB
Rob (UK) LUNCH AND PUB
Mary (Canada) PUB
Marcus LUNCH/PUB
Jonathon (USA) PUB
Wijbe and Willy (Netherlands) LUNCH AND PUB
Nellie, Henrik, Miriam and Kees (Netherlands) LUNCH and PUB
Jasmina and Vesna (Croatia) PUB
Marco and Andrea (Italy) DAY
Einat PUB
Ken (UK) DAY
Ray Webster (UK) PUB
Stewart Webster (UK) PUB
Paula (UK) PUB
Songul (UK) and Kadir (Germany) DAY
Sheila and Helen (Ireland) LUNCH AND PUB
Bernadette (Ireland) PUB
Lizzie and Peter plus 2 (UK) PUB
Jonathon, Mandy and Alan (UK) LUNCH AND PUB
Tim (UK) LUNCH AND PUB
Laura and Jeremy (UK) PUB
Annie (Scot in exile) PUB
Adi and Lais (Germany) LUNCH AND PUB
David Birkett and Helen (UK) DAY
Michael (UK) LUNCH AND PUB
Heidi (UK) LUNCH AND PUB
Padma and Harry (UK) DAY
Danni LUNCH AND PUB
Dominic LUNCH AND PUB
Last edited by Padma on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 22 times in total.
efc

Post by efc » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:11 am

Many thanks for organising this! Padma, I've sent you a PM.

The Trafalger Tavern has plenty of history:

http://visiteastlondon.co.uk/visitors/pubsgreenwich.htm

Rob
Paula

Post by Paula » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:58 am

Padma you have played a blinder yet again. I will meet you in the pub after 2:30.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Padma

Post by Padma » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:29 am

David Birkett has done most of the work!! I'm afraid I can't take the credit!!!!! Looking forward to seeing everyone again - and lots of new people as well. It looks at the moment as if most people will be coming to the pub rather than the lunch but this may change nearer the time.

Paula - I must have missed you and Pete (of the "I'll put the cheque in the post" fame) in Manchester. Blinding concert!!! See you sometime during the day on the 17th.

Padma
pakalolo

Can I pay someone to send me a tour T-shirt?

Post by pakalolo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:51 am

I'm a poor grad student who traveled through Boston to Dublin to see LC. It was an awesome show, as I think is being reported, but I bought the wrong size tour shirt.

I sold it way cheaper than bought to a fan on this site, but I need someone to pick me up an XL black tour shirt at a concert. Anyone willing?

I can PayPal in advance or whatever. Just looking for a trusting soul -- so Kelley Lynch, I won't be asking you!!
twiggersue

Post by twiggersue » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:24 pm

Looking forward to see you all. Sent you a PM so add us to the list, Padma.
/Susan and Kent, Sweden
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:11 am

Eija, Pirkko, Keith & me will be in London already a day or two earlier. What about having a beer together on July 16th, somewhere?
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Padma

Post by Padma » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:52 am

Jarkko - I think Andrea, Marco (and maybe a few others that are travelling from Italy) are also in London. Ken may be in London as well. We could all meet somewhere fairly central like Soho - or the Green Note Cafe in Camden (they have music on that night). Harry and I will try and join you - if not both of us, at least one of us will try and make it.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Padma wrote:Jarkko - I think Andrea, Marco (and maybe a few others that are travelling from Italy) are also in London. Ken may be in London as well.
I shall be arriving in Sin City at about 2pm on the Wednesday. So a drink and a meal sounds like a very good idea.
Also I'm thinking about a couple of drinks and a chat after the concert on Thursday night. Rather than tramping the piacular evening pavements of London looking for an overpriced shebeen I was thinking of ringing the hotel that most of us are staying at in Southwark and see what arrangements I can make with the mangement for an after concert late drink.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
andrea

Post by andrea » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi Padma,Harry, Ken, Jarkko, Eija and everyone around on the 16th :-)
Yes we would of course like having a drink and dinner together somewhere wednesday evening.
I know also Paola will arrive in the hotel in the late afternoon/evening and later Antonio might join us.
Marco and I will arrive in the Hotel about 4 pm I suppose. Please leave a message for us at the reception if you are out somewhere.
Looking forward, less than a week to go
Andrea and Marco
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich
andrea

Post by andrea » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:45 pm

Soho, good idea
Padma does soho spice still exist ? Do you know that place? We have been there but several years ago, it was wonderful...but maybe has changed - one never knows, so could just be an idea, but only if you have some recent informations about it.
# 24-126 Wardour Street, Londra W1F 0TY, Inghilterra
# Telefono: 020-7434-08-08

Andrea
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:18 am

Padma wrote about Green Note Cafe in Camden wor a Wednesday meetup; it's quite far away from the hotel many of us will be using (Travelodge Southwark). So I'd support Ken's idea to meet in the hotel or at a place near it.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
andrea

Post by andrea » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:38 am

Of course you are right .
I did not read it well all the messagges.
It's surely better close to the Hotel.
See you on wednesday
Andrea and Marco
Padma

Post by Padma » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:30 pm

Andrea

As far as I know Soho Spice still exists! You will have your Indian meal, Andrea.!! Your hotel is not far from central London - and with a guide you could possibly walk to Soho in about 30 minutes. Let Harry and I have a think and a phone around and we'll come up with a suitable place to eat. Maybe one of us could meet you all at the hotel.

I am going to pm you all as well.

Padma

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”