CONCERT REPORT: Oslo (July 1)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
confetti

Re: Oslo (July 1)

Post by confetti »

Anneri
that was a great clip, thanks. There was a huge crowd there, would you be able to tell us what Marianne said?
jacqui
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

Ok, then i will try to make a report on yesterdays wonderful evening.
It was with no doubt a great night, the audience was very good, and Leo was in a great mood, really enjoying the evening.

The songs have been described a lot from other concert, so most of u will know how he did his songs. I will try do tell you about some of the highlights besides the brilliant music.

- He entered the stage met by standing ovations from the whole stadium, ca 12000 people were standing and clapping in pure joy just to see him, Cohen was clearly moved by the great welcome he recieved. Said a few words to thank us and started "dance me..."

-It was Canadas national day on 1.july, and cohen was clearly moved by the norwegian and the canadian flag waving in the wind at the far end of the stadium. He stopped between two of the songs and said he didnt want to play more songs, just watch the flags.

-He picked up a flower carefully from the audience, before reciting the chorus of anthem. A beautiful moment.

-He told us about how he last night couldn't sleep in his suite at grand hotel, he had stayed on the balcony watching a street artist that was standing still, dressed and made to look like Henrik Ibsen (great norwegian writer) He was so impressed with the control and the beauty of the artist, and asked everyone from the audience to drop him a coin from cohen if we saw him. It was a wonderful moment.

- He told us about how he was grateful for the norwegian hospitality he always had recieved in Norway and wonderred why he always got so great responsse from norway, he thought it might be the climate.

- He dedicated "Take this waltz" to " a dear friend of mine, the great writer Axel Jensen, who passed away a few years ago. He was Mariannes husband"

-when starting Tower of Song, standing alone with his keyboard, he smiled and said "I don't know if you ever have seen one of this before, it is a machine that plays by itself, do not fear" and startet the keyboard rythm.

- He had great contact with the audience, smiled at people who cried out and he picked up several flowers, holding them through his songs.

- After the last song, he thanked us (!) for his evening and said this night would stay in his heart for a long time. He begged us to drive home safely and take care.

- He played "So long,Marianne" with Marianne in the audience. Must have been special for him-

This is some of the moments i remember, beside the wonderful songs of course. The only big disappointment for me was the lack of the wonderful reciting of his poem " ...kisses deep" That would have been the highlight for me, and it never came.
There are many ways a man can serve his time
Anneri

Post by Anneri »

confetti wrote:Anneri
that was a great clip, thanks. There was a huge crowd there, would you be able to tell us what Marianne said?
jacqui
They were talking about the book that will be published later this year. The journalist asks "So he is not going to contribute to the book while he is here?" Marianne smiles and says "Oh, he has contributed a lot. A lot. A lot. A lot."

Anne R
1976 Oslo| 1979 Oslo |1985 Oslo x 2 |1988 Oslo | 1993 Oslo | 2008 Manchester, Oslo, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Helsinki | 2009 New York, Langesund, Barcelona | 2010 Oslo, Helsinki, Las Vegas x 2 | 2012 Helsinki | 2013 Oslo
confetti

Post by confetti »

oh thank you, Marianne looks like a lovely person, very warm and friendly.
paal

Post by paal »

It was an amazing evening. We "laughed and cried and cried and laughed" through the 3 hour long show. Really emotional. :D :D :D
I'm - you are
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

There are two articles/reviews in Norwegian newspapers of Leonard's concert in Oslo:

http://oslopuls.no/musikk/article2516693.ece

http://www.dagsavisen.no/kultur/musikk/ ... 357665.ece

One even includes a photo!

Also, could someone who speaks the language kindly translate this sentence?

Aldrende Leonards baryton har modnet med årene, og han bærer stoffet sitt med levd livs kraft.

Thanks.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

BlizzardofIce:

I am thanking a lot. It was about it ! :) now I can see this concert. I can see the Mister Leonard, I can see everyone listening and of you how you are waiting for your favourite words...Even not being able to not sleep... I can also see, thanks to you. These are g o o d i m a g e s . I am greeting you
Jeremek
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have some photos I shot in Oslo - will organize them during the weekend. This is probably my favorite one!
"Laughing Lenny with his Angels" said a woman behind us when I took the pic :razz:

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

This is great footage form NRK, propably the best from the tour so far:
http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/nyheter/spill/verdi/63729
Aldrende Leonards baryton har modnet med årene, og han bærer stoffet sitt med levd livs kraft.
I'll give it a try:
" The aging Leonards baryton (deep voice) has matured with the years, and he carries his material with the power of a lived life"
There are many ways a man can serve his time
confetti

Post by confetti »

that's a brilliant clip, blizzardofice. i love the frozen shot at the end where Leonard takes his hat off, he looks so happy.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Thanks much for the translation, Blizzard, and the link to the great video. Gorgeous stuff. Makes me drool for a DVD.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Elsie

Post by Elsie »

It was a most unforgettable concert in Oslo on July 1st, and I feel a deep gratitude to have been there. I was afraid to have too big expectations, like in 1993 when, quite honest, I felt a bit disappointed after the show. This time I was overwhelmed, almost hypnotized. To see Leonard so fit and smiling, to hear his voice so mild and strong, and all those dear wonderful songs - well, the tears would not stop running down my cheeks...

In the end, when they all lined up on stage to wave a last farewell - the audience just would not let them go - there was a man shouting from behind so that everyone could hear him:
WE LOVE YOU! and we all somehow agreed YES!!! and it was fulfilled. I shall never forget this very special moment.

Magic was afoot on Bislett stadium this evening.
Osiris

Post by Osiris »

I agree with everyone of you. This was an amazing concert! In the beginning I felt the sound could have been better. But the sound improved as the show went on. Mr.Cohen seemed to be enjoying himself, and the audience did too. I`m also happy with my purchase of two Cohen t-shirts, and a licorice lace:)
lindh61

Another kind of live performance

Post by lindh61 »

cohen 2.jpg
cohen 2.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 14464 times
Photo: Expressen
Read a review from Sofiero, Sverige
http://www.expressen.se/noje/1.1219982/ ... nard-cohen
Five stars out of five, and the most given five star review during this journalists 20 year as reviewer.
A few days ago I, Tuula, travelled to Oslo with my husband, Lars, and his son Wilhelm. We were to spend a few days with my daughter, Nina, since she is currently working in Oslo. With us we had tickets for the Cohen concert at Bislet stadium on the first of July.
To our great astonishment we did not only got a great musical performance by Mr Cohen, we also got the opportunity to meet him in person. We were walking down Oslos main street, Karl Johann, outside of the Grand Hotel café when Lars said:
- There he is!
- Who? I replied
- Him! Cohen!

Lars approaches him and asks if it is allright to take a picture. Mr Cohen, who was very friendly and accommodating, approved and stood up with a big smile.
Obviously we were all quite baffled to be in the presence of the great poet. Cohen was sitting at the Grand Hotel café with his daughter Lorca. He stayed at the Grand Hotel, that he found all too luxurious, and with a big smile that he was alone in his room. As a final statement he said: “Wish me good luck!”

Picture of Cohen, Nina and Wilhelm.
Picture of Cohen, Nina and Wilhelm.
cohen wille nina.JPG (38.38 KiB) Viewed 14727 times

Picture of Cohen, myself and Lars.
Picture of Cohen, myself and Lars.
lars tuula cohen.JPG (38.38 KiB) Viewed 14565 times
paddieu

Post by paddieu »

That tv link doesnt seem to work now. Anyone else had same problem ??

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”