CONCERT REPORTS: Montreal (June 23, 24, and 25)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
SALee

Re: MONTREAL (JUNE 23-25)

Post by SALee »

Hi Lizzy,

Thank you for your heart-felt sympathy...It does help somewhat when people can empathise, even complete strangers, and your words are really appreciated...most on this forum in particular will get it, I know. I felt pretty close to suicidal when realisation dawned, but I'm snapping out of it. What I did catch of the concert was amazing, and the rest of the week there I did get to explore a bit of the city, which I found beautiful.
Unfortunately I don't think Leonard Cohen will be coming to Asia (one of the first things I checked) so I'm afraid that trip was it, for me.
I did write to the centre in the immediate aftermath about the announcements, but I didn't hear back from them...perhaps it's something they'll consider for next time, for the tourists.
In any case, I did enjoy my time in Montreal, and trying to figure out which places were referenced in his songs.
Thanks again for jumping in :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi SALee ~

How do-able are Australia or Japan? [I've been reading the Fall tour threads.] One of his books was translated into Japanese... I believe "Beautiful Losers"... so there's hope there. As some are making the point, he has thousands of fans in Australia, as well.

There you were on his last night there, too... so no hope of anything else, not even from a touter. It was a very good idea to write the Place itself. I think Leonard will take note, as well. Several times, I asked for translations from my seatmates, when they were laughing at something he'd said in French. However, nothing is more crucial than knowing that it's only Intermission. I'm afraid that PTSD would've played havoc with me and it would've been difficult to enjoy Montreal so much after learning that devastating news. Good on you for carrying on... with a leaden heart.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

SAlee, I'm sure that everybody who read your story has compassion for what you have experienced. How could someone stay cold in front of this?

Only rocks (and even there, I'm not sure). However, it would have been a useless waste of life and time - and a cruel way to deal with your experience, if you ask me - to scratch the wounds of your soul until your entire being bleed to death.

I have admiration for the intelligence, the wisdom you show in this matter. After your misadventure you did what was correct to do under the circumstances and you were being able to enjoy yourself in maximum. That is truly beautiful. Fresh air and sunshine.

In my mind, when everything has been done to correct a situation, there is nothing more important than to let go and move to the other good opportunity. Life is too short to emphasize what makes us (and others) feel bad, moreover when the power of choosing our attitudes is all between our hands and will.

"Ring the bells that still can ring, forget the perfect offering, there's a crack, a crack in everything that's how the light gets in."

Maybe it's cultural, maybe it is very Japanese, because I am learning from asians to be zen and I appreciate this in my life so very much. :D

Probably some kind people here who keep track of every bit of information and material could send you good stuff in regard of a recorded concert? You may have another opportunity before the end of the tour? I wish you luck with this, sincerely. :)
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Dream Warrior

Post by Dream Warrior »

Hey Dick,

Sent you a second email to see if you wanted some of the pics Joanne took of gathering and tribute night, but it doesn't seem to have gone through the email program here, which is why I am posting this on Board. If you send me an email address I will pass on photos.

L
dick

Post by dick »

pm'd my email address to you liam

thanks
dick
SALee

Post by SALee »

Hey Lizzy, Tchocolatl,

Thanks again for all the kind words. I'm not sure about Australia or Japan - I did check both earlier this year and was told no, but then again, I guess no doesn't mean never. Australia would be considerably easier on the pocket, although given the chunk this last trip took from my budget I'll need to seriously think about it.

I'm not sure the Place would take note actually (still no reply), which is also disappointing, and I'm afraid I wasn't as Zen about it as you think - I didn't find out till a few days after the concert - ignorance was truly bliss, for a brief period anyway! I was alternately angry and horrifically depressed after, hence my first 3 am rant, written on impulse, but as you may note, your comments have seen my posts gradually gaining some cheerfulness:) I don't really know who this forum reaches, or if feedback gets anywhere, but I guess if it just helps further down the line, then great.

I thank you again for all the kind thoughts and good advice...I'll get off this topic now so I don't take up any more space with this, but hope to chime in if there's anything else I can add my thoughts to. I am glad though, since you're all obviously such nice, cool people, that you had a great time yourselves:)

Wishing you all good things.
lilyrose

Post by lilyrose »

Hello, SALee, my heart goes out to you, what a very distressing and very depressing indeed thing to happen, you "came so far for beauty", but you did not see it all. :cry: :cry:
Also you wrote that you are fan of only one musician in the worls, I can identify with that statement, whilst I like the work of so many artists for a good reason as many are so good, I love Leonard Cohen for all that he is, for him I make an exception as I do not usually worship people, however he is more than a man, I cannot even put in words what I feel when I listen to his music or I talk to somebody about him and his work, I feel overwhelmed by emotions. SALee, you made a big sacrifice to come here and that too I understand, I was lucky to be in Montreal and he came here too, but I would have gone to the other side of the world for seeing and hearing him live. All the best to you, SALee.
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Montreal (June 23, 24, and 25)

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded to YouTube by "montjazzfest" -

Artistic Director of Montreal Jazz Festival, André Ménard, talks how the show in 2008 came to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AajCXZBt_74
Leonard Cohen - Memories of André Ménard 2008
Published on May 9, 2014

"It was a long-time dream to present Leonard Cohen at the Festival. It took many years of patience and the opportunity to do him a favour to make it happen in 2008."

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”