How long, and how loud?

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
ubertotty

How long, and how loud?

Postby ubertotty » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:43 pm

Hiya,

Slightly random question, but I'm going to see LC THIS WEEK(!!!) in Manchester but am pregnant and wanted to know:

1) How long is the concert? (average)
2) How LOUD is the concert?

Just so that I can be prepared in terms of how late a night it will be (I'll need to sleep earlier, I'm like a 90 year old woman hehe) and whether to take a coat to cover my bump if it's going to be startling to the little one. I'm in the gallery at Manchester Opera house so not next to the front or anything.

Anybody?

Ubertotty
Steve Wilcox

Re: How long, and how loud?

Postby Steve Wilcox » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:46 am

The shows have been consistently 2:50 to 3 hours less a ~20 minute intermission.

The only small complaint I have about the entire show (and this is the first time I've stated it on the forum because it's completely subjective) is, personally, I could have used a bit more bass drum and bass guitar in the mix. I read an interview where Leonard stated he fears that these exact two intruments might get too loud over the course of the night so I suspect this is why they are a little lower in the mix than at most concerts.

This, however, is in your favour as it's the low frequency bass guitar notes and sudden attack of the bass drum that would keep baby awake. I only wish I had been introduced to Leonard Cohen at that age.

[ p.s. - You might cover up during one line in The Future.]
blonde madonna

Postby blonde madonna » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:12 am

Steve Wilcox wrote: You might cover up during one line in The Future.
:D Steve at the concerts I went to he changed that line.

I think the noise level will be fine for your baby.

BM
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
Ger

Postby Ger » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:30 am

Saw him in Dublin last night and your baby is one lucky duck to get introduced to LC so early on in life. The sound was gorgeous. He went on stage just after 8 and played till 11 with a 20 min break. Lucky you and babe.
krewechief

Postby krewechief » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:58 am

the volume won't be bad...very reasonable level.

the first set is 1 hour. i would recommend you get up during the band intro when they are playing Anthem and beat the line up to the bathroom 'cause you got a 1 hour and 50 minute second set before you get another visit :D

congrats and enjoy
stfa

Postby stfa » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:11 am

I actually found the sound almost a bit too quiet.....except for when I was in front row.....but I do like my music loud.....you'll be fine.....the sound is warm and subtle.....the others are right.....3 hours less a twenty minute intermission......you won't want to miss a moment! Enjoy!
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
Steve Wilcox

Postby Steve Wilcox » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:49 pm

blonde madonna wrote:
Steve Wilcox wrote: You might cover up during one line in The Future.
:D Steve at the concerts I went to he changed that line.
Are we talking about the same line? I'm referring to - "Destroy another . . . . "
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:53 pm

The sound in Halifax was about as sweet as I have ever heard at any concert. Not loud at all, in fact, as stfa suggested, if anything it is a bit quiet further back. But you can still hear it OK.

W
kieron

Postby kieron » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:22 pm

Dublin x three nights
2hrs 50 mins with a 15 interval included
Perfect volume for an outdoor gig, perfect sound too.
Crystal clear.
"A terrible beauty is born" WB Yeats.
lklassen

Postby lklassen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:10 am

At Hamilton, the Bass in Cohen's voice was cranked incredibly loud.. Which sounded great, but might have been why the band sounded a bit hollow to some...

As for the changed line in "The Future" -- I was shocked at the change! I was trying to explain to my (less-fanatic) date why the line was upsetting me so, in desperate whispers, for the rest of the song. :P
---

"Because I say so, that's why." -anon.
blonde madonna

Postby blonde madonna » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:03 am

Steve, I didn't think of those lines at first but I laugh that we are talking about lines that are appropriate for a foetus to hear.

Shocked Iklassen? You're kidding right? :D
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
stfa

Postby stfa » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:51 pm

lklassen wrote:At Hamilton, the Bass in Cohen's voice was cranked incredibly loud.. Which sounded great, but might have been why the band sounded a bit hollow to some...

As for the changed line in "The Future" -- I was shocked at the change! I was trying to explain to my (less-fanatic) date why the line was upsetting me so, in desperate whispers, for the rest of the song. :P
He first changed it for tv appearances back in 93.......I would guess nowadays "careless" is more shocking than " anal" and fits the lyrics' narrator (the fictional one that is) better!

Agreed about the bass in Hamilton but from about halfway back I found the entire sound just a touch quiet compared to a previous performance.....no complaints though, my seat mates were great and the concert is one of (if not the) best I've ever seen!
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
confetti

Postby confetti » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:03 pm

yes your baby is definitely lucky to be introduced to Leonard cohen in this way. With my first pregnancy, my son was born the morning after a night out at a local blues gig, (very heavy bass, but he was fine, and was due on the day he arrived so I don't think it caused him any ill effect) and the second went to see BB King when I was about 5 months pregnant. He bounced along to the music and continues to bounce along all day every day.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
roubiliac

Postby roubiliac » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:03 am

Wed night Manchester was 3 hours 5 minutes.
ubertotty

Postby ubertotty » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks so much for all your replies. I'm really excited about the concert now. If baby seemed to dislike it I'd go out of course, but hopefully he'll have a lovely time dancing in there. I'm really grateful for the reassurance about the noise levels and 3 hours is about perfect before I get too tired and sore from sitting. Thank you!

Ubertotty

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”