CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin (June 13, 14, and 15)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tiggs

Re: Dublin (June 13-15)

Post by tiggs »

Although I personally was totally sober at Dublin, I can understand where you are coming from. But I guess I was after a different experience than you
I have plugged in the ipod or cd, put on headphones and sat on mountain tops and European cathedrals to listen to every pause and beautiful landscape woven into leonards music and verse. So I didn't need to sit solemnly and take it all in at kilmainham.I knew from the first chord what every song would be.
The woman behind me who repeatedly shouted I love you lennie or the guy beside me who sang every chorus out of key didn't ruin my moment. If anything it made it more special because I could feel the emotion and excitement of everyone.
In my beautiful world time is infinite but every moment precious. If that is arrogance the may I be arrogant when I'm 73, have leonard in the headphones... very loud... and still understand what I'm listening to :)
And perhaps if I get to see him again i shall whoop and holler and if I get the chance, waltz down the aisles with some fine young ( or old ) thing :)
confetti

Post by confetti »

even though I hate to do so, :D I have to agree with tiggs. As I said before A thousand kisses deep was slightly marred for me by the talking of a crowd trying to get to the front, but the rest of it, people singing out of tune, dancing etc didn't bother me at all, and added to the . Had I been in a theatre and the same things happened it would be a different matter, but outdoors, i think we have to expect people will behave differently.
Neil Young I believe was a fully standing gig, so I expect the feeling of a festival was more apparent there than at the Leonard Cohen event, and people do tend to chatter and laugh as though it is a night out at a pub, I think,when standing. It is one of the reasons I chose not to go to Neil young, that and the fact that the tallest person in the world always stands in front of me. :lol:
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
tiggs

Post by tiggs »

Glad we agree about one thing confetti :) Who exactly is this Neil Young chap by the way :lol: :lol:
Waxy's Dargle

Post by Waxy's Dargle »

You still don't get what I'm saying, tiggs, I'm not complaining about those who sang along (I did so myself with almost every song), I'm not complaining about those who shouted I love you Lenny - I'm bemoaning the fact that lots of people disregard the artist and do their "own thing" when they feel like it for whatever reason! This happened at both concerts!

As I said I don't expect solemn attention, I'm not precious about it all, just some respect for the artist & others who want to listen.

Do people feel that they are at a barbeque party with background music & tune in when they know a song or like a particular song? Maybe if both concerts had been indoor events it would have been different.

I don't know, I'm just trying to understand the reasons!

Ah confetti, I just see your post - I guess this is my post also but you both are picking me up wrong - I want the sing-along, I want the shouts, just not the guy talking on his mobile or group of people chatting about some inanities when a performer is performing - Respect Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
confetti

Post by confetti »

Waxy's Dargle wrote: Ah confetti, I just see your post - I guess this is my post also but you both are picking me up wrong - I want the sing-along, I want the shouts, just not the guy talking on his mobile or group of people chatting about some inanities when a performer is performing - Respect Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I understand fully Waxy, I was very lucky and privelaged to be on the front row at dublin, so there wasn't much that could annoy me :lol: but I think the irritations that you had were primarily because it was outside. I am sure in a theatre, there would be someone go over and tell people off for talking, a bit harder to do out in the fresh air.
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

I saw Neil Young at the Manchester Apollo back in March of this year and he was on truly magnificent form.

I didn't think that I could possibly see a better concert this year.....but then Mister Cohen came to the Manchester Opera House in June...!
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
fisherinbelfast

Post by fisherinbelfast »

tiggs and confetti i saw leonard on june 15th in dublin no else was there just me leonard the band and the rain PRICELESS.....
confetti

Post by confetti »

well we saw him on 14th and there was no rain so na na na na :lol: :lol: :lol:
alexw123

Post by alexw123 »

I was at the Friday concert in Dublin. I was a bit out to the left of the stage for my liking, but the big screen made up for it. I guess that I had looked forward to this concert for so longthat I wanted to be right in the centre of the action.

I was mesmerised by Cohen. And by the Webb sisters. The rendition of If It Be Your Will had to be a highlight.

Cohen was strong, confident and in top form. He might be 73, but he looks like he will go on for ever.

I'm going to Edinburgh. I'm looking forward to that as well.
fisherinbelfast

I'm sending this mail to the the contact list in my uncle's post box on the Cohen forum.
My uncle William kept me somewhat informed of his various nefarious goings-on here and thoroughly enjoyed the fun he created, though not all of you, I gather, may have seen the funny side of his humour.
I'm not sure how much you know of him - he was a retired schoolmaster living in the midlands, loved music and literature, adored arguing about politics and was a frequent visitor to Ireland. And he had a sprightly imagination. I gather he was not averse to a little stretching of the truth and he delighted in his contact,through my aunt, with the Webb sisters. Though I think he may have exaggerated the closeness of that friendship.
He lived two doors down from us and we kept an eye on him - insofar as one could keep an eye on William
Sad to say, he passed away suddenly on July 1st.
I am working my way through the various discussion fora (and there are many)that he frequented, making contact where possible with his friends.
If I have missed out on anyone, my apologies.

Harold Sharton.HarryS

Private messageE-mail TopPrevious PMNext PMMove to folder: Inbox
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words »

I am still in a different world after the 14th June experience but I can also sympathise with the views on the 'open air' concert. I was near the front and virtually motionless as I was mesmerized by the experience but my enjoyment was lessened by the amount of activity and walking around in my peripheral vision. The day was perfect but I cannot understand that so many seemed more interested in the drink tents and going back and forth. A theatre would be better and perhaps more respectful of the artist, musicians and music rather than a picnic.
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

I'm Your Man.

The YouTube shows a young man asking his girlfriend to marry him at the Dublin concert.
It looks like she accepted!.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LocBI6efKjk
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Unspokenwords - I think the reason there's so much walking about is that (as with every gig worth its salt) the place has liggers left, right and centre - mostly right & centre of course -who are there as much to be seen as to see who else is attending. The concert is incidental and certainly the comfort of fans is not an issue at all to them!
fisherinbelfast

SO ! IS WILLIE DEAD OR WHAT ?
damellon

Post by damellon »

Looks like it, fisher, either actually or metaphorically.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”