CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin (June 13, 14, and 15)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
confetti

Re: Dublin (June 13-15)

Post by confetti »

that is very true it may be a little blurry, the group one (one before the last) is great too as it gives a real feel of the concert
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
jacqueline

Post by jacqueline »

Sean!
Good job with the photo's and Happy Belated Birthday!! were you at the concert in Spain yesterday?
daka

Post by daka »

jacqueline wrote:Sean!
Good job with the photo's and Happy Belated Birthday!! were you at the concert in Spain yesterday?
Thanks for putting the lovely fotos on the Forum!!

My birthday is July 20th and that is the date of Leonard's performance in Spain. Slightly premature birthday wishes but the greeting is taken care of if you forget.

Sean
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

So many contributors feel that this is leonard's last visit. But why should this be so? The concerts were so successful, both musically and financially, why should he not end the tour in Dublin just as he began the European leg? I for one would go again in August or September. Who could we contact to request a few more dates?
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
The detainee

Post by The detainee »

jdhayes wrote:So many contributors feel that this is leonard's last visit. But why should this be so? The concerts were so successful, both musically and financially, why should he not end the tour in Dublin just as he began the European leg? I for one would go again in August or September. Who could we contact to request a few more dates?
If it is to be the last time then that's ok, the people who got to see him were privleged, lucky - but I know what you mean - Journalists are very keen to write him off perhaps because of his age, the infrequency of his touring etc...but LC hasn't said that he's retiring after these dates, so why not a return?
Ger

Post by Ger »

Jo55 wrote:I'm a 55 year old married woman and should know better but last night - last night I fell in love with a 73 year old man.
From the moment he stepped on stage and thanked us for sitting inthe rain (what rain?) and for being cold and called us "friends" - and that didn't sound fake or phoney because it wasn't - I was lost.

"Dance Me to the End of Love" began the love affair between Man and Audience. His voice is as deep and resonant and beautiful as I have ever heard.
Through song after song he frequently and fondly name-checked the band - Alex Larson on keyboards, the Webb sisters, Dino, Raphael--- and of course the incomparable Sharon Robinson. "Back on Bogie Street" is a voice-match made in Heaven.

"Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in"

Wit, wisdom, the throwing up of lovely words and singing them as they fall - and always that subtle, self-deprecating erotic underlay.
With his poem "A Thousand Kisses Deep" the only thing you could hear was many thousand people listening.

Behind me a young couple half my age knew every word, beside me a woman of my vintage was misty-eyed and smiling - that's how a lover leaves you.
As we left, enriched, seduced, bowled over, our admiration ran deep - about a thousand kisses deep.
You know what they say - there ain't no cure for love. Thankfully.

I'm with you jo55. Nothing has moved me so much before and I don't expect ever will again. Leonard Cohen is sublime. I thought that I was in love with him for 40 years and now it's been comfirmed.
cleocat

Post by cleocat »

I have been aLeonard Cohen fan for over 30 years but this is my first post. I have been driven to write after viewing all the posts on the Dublin and Manchester concerts.I was at the Dublin concert on the 15th together with my husband and children who are in their 20's.The experience was amazing but I am surprised at some of the negative feedback in respect of the outdoor venue.I do sympathise if you are sitting near drunken and rowdy individuals but an outdoor concert cannot be compared to an indoor one and the rules of engagement are not the same. I didnot want a reverential atmosphere only for people to be respectful.We were at the back in Row C and everyone was brilliantlyy behaved but enjoying themselves,one guy was dancing in the aisle and the singing and arm swaying during the chorus of So long Marianne is something our whole family will treasure.
jacqueline

Post by jacqueline »

daka wrote:My birthday is July 20th and that is the date of Leonard's performance in Spain. Slightly premature birthday wishes but the greeting is taken care of if you forget.

Oops!! Ahead of myself as usual!! Sorry! :oops: misread your entry about the birthday and Leonard playing Spain!!
Have you all watched the 'you tube 'compilation of sat nite show by albert noonan. Really good sound quality (as well as taking you all back to the saturday nite !!)
Henning

Post by Henning »

IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Diane

Post by Diane »

Henning wrote:Two German reviews of the Dublin show:
Henning the first article begins, "Der Poet. Der Prophet. Der Entertainer." So far so good. Can you translate the rest please. Or do you expect us to take classes in German. We have enough to do chasing Leonard around the world.

I managed to arrive in Dublin without my camera battery, but Tim kindly lent me his camera to take some pics of a few forum faces on the Sunday. I've stuck them in the Other Gatherings section:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11444
damellon

Post by damellon »

Diane
Though my German is not great I think part of that first review mentions a quote from a member of the audience at Sunday's concert, who said 'water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink'. :D Hi Henning.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
Henning

Post by Henning »

I thought because Jarkko had deleted harshly the Dublin water anectode in the merchandise thread the whole thing wouldn't be an issue any more and about to be forgotten. It's not, I am afraid. What can I do ?
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Diane

Post by Diane »

Damellon, did you not go to the boy scouts? Rather than rely on Henning's return, you should have made a receptacle by making a cone-shape with your ticket, and held it out at arm's length for a few hours to gather the soft rain falling. Remember for next time.
damellon

Post by damellon »

Diane wrote:Damellon, did you not go to the boy scouts? Rather than rely on Henning's return, you should have made a receptacle by making a cone-shape with your ticket, and held it out at arm's length for a few hours to gather the soft rain falling. Remember for next time.
Diane - any association I may have had with boy scouts had nothing to do with thirst. I am still on an intermittent drip for the dehydration suffered when Henning abandoned me on Sunday night. That, together with 3 nights of Leonard, 3 visits to the Brazen Head and 4 nights of you :) has rendered me quite unwell. My employer wonders will he ever enjoy my services again. The darkened room calls.
Henning - Jarkko saved your blushes once. Can he find a reason to do it again? If so, I will have t-shirts printed (in the best possible taste) and added to the tour merchandise. They will say something on the lines of I left a woman waiting or And she says, 'Drink deeply, pilgrim' or maybe Free as running water. A woman scorned and all that..... :D
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
comet

Post by comet »

Thanks for the pictures daka, as I said I was afraid to bring a camera,
I'm the kinda bloke that has grief with security and bouncers and there is usually more of them then I can take on :lol:

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”