CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin (June 13, 14, and 15)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Inge

Re: Dublin (June 13-15)

Post by Inge »

There ain't no cure for Brendan Farrelly.
bobbybyrne

leonard cohen

Post by bobbybyrne »

can anyone tell me if you were allowed take photos, and was there much merchandise on sale, and if so was there t.shirts. hope u all enjoyed your night.
racerbear02

Post by racerbear02 »

I had a very similar experience to Charco, I spotted Leonard Cohen on Thursday morning in O'Connell Street, I doubled back to be sure, he looked so relaxed and at ease with himself that I did not intrude on his day, but wanted to say exactly the same things as Charco, in the same gibbering fashion !! How can one man have such an effect ??

As to the concert ............ there are not superlatives enough to describe it.

A lot of new renditions of the old favourites,one or two changes of words, but for me the highlights just had to be Hallelujah and a Ain't no cure for love, I genuinely filled up during both of those, although it is difficult to pick select individual tracks as everything was superb, the spoken tracks/poems were very moving, silencing the 10,000 plus crowd completely.

His voice is still superb, his timing perfect and the musical and vocal backing was fantastic, which he himself acknowledged by presenting each of the performers a number of times during the concert. How can a man of his age still preform what was virtually a 3 hour set??

I am going to Bruges as well, I can't wait for it.

I just hope the BBC show him from Glastonbury so i can get a copy of it

Only one slight downside, as a man of the fuller figure ( OK I am a fat ba****d ) there were no Tee shirts available to fit me, yes I know I should loose weight but............ I was far from the only one fb going away from the stall disappointed, surely a marketing opportunity being missed here guys!!!

If you are still to go to a concert, you have a treat instore, if you are unable to get to one then my sincere commiserations,
I assume there will be an album and video of the tour so you can watch, but in the meanwhile has anyone got any recordings, or should I not ask :D

Thank you VERY much Leonard Cohen, the supporting artists and background crew for making a wonderful evening.
Gercav

Post by Gercav »

Heading to the concert tonight, and I am waiting in anticipation. I have tickets for block A8, how close is this to the stage??

Great to hear such good reviews of the concert last night. Dublin is waiting !!
Gercav

Post by Gercav »

Charco:

Why did you not ask him in for a pint of G and a muse in the Oval bar ?

God knows it could have ended up in a sing song, chance missed methinks!!
hershey

Post by hershey »

Shame no individual mentions of the amazing musicians and The Webb Sisters
DoChara

Post by DoChara »

It was just an amazing night. Perfect. His voice is better than ever if that's possible and the band were stunning, Webb sisters are fantastic, and of course Sharon Robinson. I never saw so many people in tears, I just wish I could go again tonight and Sunday.

Charco, you spoke for a lot of people, I really hope he knows that.
I have tickets for block A8, how close is this to the stage??
It's to the right as you look at the stage - enter though the main RH end rather than the Kilmainham Rd entrance. Honestly it won't matter where you are though. Fantastic sound system, good view from everywhere, it's a brilliant venue.

I put up some photos here: http://www.dochara.com/blog/
Last edited by DoChara on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asta

Post by asta »

Dochara: Any photo's of the incredible band (or Sharon and The Webb Sisters)
Dance_Me_to_the_End

Post by Dance_Me_to_the_End »

That review in the Independant is probably one of the shoddiest pieces of journalism I have read in a long time. To me, it sounds like Mr Farrelly was trying to praise Cohen as veryone else undoubtably was, but he didn't know enough about him to actually do that!

Also, it's started to piss rain :(

I really, really hope this clears up by the time Leonard comes on, (it can piss all over Damie Rice!) :roll:
DoChara

Post by DoChara »

I took very few photos - meant to take many more but taking out the camera seemed just an intrusion on the whole experience. It seemed to pass in 5 minutes. I'll dig out the rest and get them up somewhere.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Racerbear02 "I genuinely filled up during both of those,"

Unleaded or diesel? :lol:
DoChara

Post by DoChara »

Some more pics here, but they're not brilliant:
http://www.dochara.com/cohen.php
James T

Post by James T »

I was in Dublin yesterday to see a band called Low but I popped along to the old hospital to check out the layout early in the afternoon and hoped to get a glanc of leonard soundchecking or something. I didn't like the look of the seating layout to the left and right of the stage but then again the gig would still be amazing. It looked very easy to get in for free, lots of gaps and stuff. But yeah, Manchester on friday for me! Hope you all had fun.
donalm

Post by donalm »

Hi all , still recovering from last nights gig, am also going to go on Sunday , cant wait. last night was the most amazing experience,it was everything I expected it to be , brought the missus and two daughters they will always remember "The Man" forever.
Also met an ex bird from the old days !!!
Disappointed with the two reports in the so called quality irish papers and rubbish photo in the Irish Times, obviously both Journalists were just doing their jobsworth, they shouldnt have bothered.
Hope everyone else enjoys the next two nights.
kokenpere

Post by kokenpere »

Hello to Inge, friscogrl & all
Inge wrote:There ain't no cure for Brendan Farrelly.
friscogrl wrote:"There Ain't No Room For Love!!??
I could not agree more with both of you.

michael

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”