CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin (June 13, 14, and 15)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
devilsinkwell

Re: Dublin (June 13-15)

Post by devilsinkwell » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:51 pm

i saw leonard on saturday night and still havnt come down ,after a twenty year wait the emotion when he appeared still brought a 45yr old rough tough yorkshireman to tears(only kidding about the rough tough bit!!!).unbellivable performance just wish i could thank him personally
dublin june 14th manchester 18th june birmingham nov 22nd manchester nov 30th
paulinDublin18

what a Friday the 13th!

Post by paulinDublin18 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:54 pm

one of the luckiest days, Dublin gig, not just a remarkable gig, a remarkable day, when I listened to this man in the early eighties - mesmerised -I thought I was listening to someone long long gone, and what a surprise on Friday, Mr. Cohen found his voice during this concert, and ran back the 3rd and 4th time in case his band started to leave the stage, we gave Mr. Cohen more standing ovations than you could count, personal favourite, take this waltz, favourite oldie: Who by fire still sung in the trance you will see from 1967 clip on youtube.com, (the one I would have requested: 'the partisan') peace out readers, continued Grace and strength to you Mr. Cohen - fancy a treat see 'take this waltz' on youtube from San Sebastian with Jennifer Warnes (spelling?) - the marrow will move in your bones comrades,
fisherinbelfast

Post by fisherinbelfast » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:40 pm

i hope to god this man lives forever if not i know this night will ( sunday). someone said it rained if it did i didn,t notice. from the opening chords of dance me to the spine chilling if it be your will i was totallay unaware of anything going on around me . i was fixed to the stage as leonard and his band of lonesome heros took us through 40 years of pure beauty. thank you leonard . belfast awaits you , if it be your will .
confetti

Post by confetti » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:45 pm

fisherinbelfast wrote: belfast awaits you , if it be your will .
wouldn't that be class? :D :D
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
sarah35

Post by sarah35 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:46 pm

band details and tour details on this site
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/band2008.html
tiggs

Post by tiggs » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:57 pm

Someone asked me what Damien Rice was like and although I was seated for about the last few songs and sort of remember him on stage, I still have no idea :) Glad you had a great one confetti... Hope to see you up in the sperrins for Glasgowbury... Perhaps we could con his management to beliveing thats where he's playing and not glastonbury we could see him again :lol: :lol: :lol:
brodharley

Post by brodharley » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:45 pm

Hi Fols
Just got back from dublin ,after seeing LC last night ,Sunday
What a great show his voice is still great and he was very humbled that his "friends " all stayed all though we got soaked by torrential rain for most of the night.
I have to see him again in my home city of Manchester on Thursday night but this time we will be warm and dry
"a thousand kisses deep"
brodHarley
The detainee

Post by The detainee » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:07 pm

Leonard utterly transcended the rain and cold on Sunday night and delivered a truly powerful set - highlights for me were In My Secret Life, First We Take Manhattan, Democracy, and of course A Thousand Kisses Deep - a recitation that will remain with me forever. The band were great - any studio work that LC might do with them in the future would be something to behold.
I couldn't help smiling everytime he appeared in close-up on the big screen, and occasionally it would occur to me that there was Leonard Cohen right there on the stage, singing those songs with that voice, and I'm lucky enough that I get to see him.
I do hope that if I ever get the chance to see him play again that it will be indoors and a little bit more intimate though.

I feel for anyone who had their night ruined by the obnoxious behavoir of others, I noticed some of that going on - types who couldn't handle their drink and seemed to be attention-hungry in the extreme.
confetti

Post by confetti » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:35 pm

tiggs wrote:Someone asked me what Damien Rice was like and although I was seated for about the last few songs and sort of remember him on stage, I still have no idea :) Glad you had a great one confetti... Hope to see you up in the sperrins for Glasgowbury... Perhaps we could con his management to beliveing thats where he's playing and not glastonbury we could see him again :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paddy thinks he's getting Ash but we know it will be Leonard. :lol:
I thought Damien Rice was great, he was obviously blown away by Leonard himself, he got into a bit of a ramble about how wonderful Leonard was and what an honour to be there etc, he looked so cute, like a wee boy.

Where were you sitting Tiggs? Bonos missus and kids were just behind me.
IrishMar

Re: Dublin JUne 14th The white man Dancing !

Post by IrishMar » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 pm

Worshipping at the Temple of Leonard

What a great weekend I have had... did a triple bill THE most brilliant concerts I have ever been to in my life.
Leonard was superb, what can I say that has not already been said! Do have a look at the video of the Man signing
The Future thanks to my husband Albert, it turned out rather well even if I say so myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6DOhtCaKLk
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:14 pm

He came. We saw. He conquered.
Long Live Leonard Cohen :)
confetti

Post by confetti » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:18 pm

did you have a good time tinderella?
Habie

Post by Habie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:27 pm

Just got back from Dublin, saw the concert on Sunday, in the wind and rain and wonder.
I disagree with a previous poster - Leonard's voice is not 'as good as ever', it's BETTER than ever. How did he do that?
What a concert.
What a man. The humility, warmth, wit, wisdom and dignity of the most mesmerising Gentleman Poet who ever lived are things I never expected to witness live again (after the London concerts 15 years ago).
Being outdoors was amazing, in both good and bad; yes it was less intimate and freezing cold after you'd been drenched with rain at the start, but itw as also amazingly liberating in the second half when some of us left our seats and went to the front with others to watch the stage and video screen from up close (great quality picture, and of course, amazing sound). During HALLELUJAH and TAKE THIS WALTZ, several young women started to dance, to waltz, in a graceful haze of delight. The security people stopped trying to move us away, they just smiled. Even the ice cream ladies (only in Ireland to people buy ice creams cones during a freezing rainstorm) swayed their arms in the air during Hallelujah.
Leonard made topical references, ('It's Father's Day' in the middle of a song, I forget which one.. sorry...) and at the beginning, he greeted us with 'Thank you for being here, for being cold, for sitting in the rain, for being Irish...'.
So many highlights, but just a few to add to others' comments:
- before the concert, walking alongside the venue to get a Guiness and hearing LC and singers tune up, wafting over the walls all around us
- the Webb Sisters (sorry, the Sublime Webb Sisters, as LC rightly calls them, doffing his hat) singing If It Be Your Will - you could feel, tangibly, the bones in your body shivering inside you and your mind wandering to all the lovely moments in your entire life
- so many more... I won't spoil it for those of you still planning to go... overall, just so grateful that this particular man, who has given me more pleasure than any other artist, is still giving so much of himself every single night to 10,000 strangers.
I recorded lots of little snippets on my mobile phone (a good quality one) if anyone wants to see them, and took some pics.
I'm going to see him again in Manchester on Friday, and at the O2 in July. Will report again then.
Cohen-loving greetings to all,
Habie in London x
tiggs

Post by tiggs » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:42 pm

[quote="confetti"quote]
Paddy thinks he's getting Ash but we know it will be Leonard. :lol:
I thought Damien Rice was great, he was obviously blown away by Leonard himself, he got into a bit of a ramble about how wonderful Leonard was and what an honour to be there etc, he looked so cute, like a wee boy.

Where were you sitting Tiggs? Bonos missus and kids were just behind me.[/quote]

I was right in the middle about 10 rows back beside neil jordan and gerry ryan... think Christie moore was over to the right,couldnt believe the seat I had, kept waiting for security to come and say I was in the wrong place.
Im doing sound in the main tent so come up and spend time. I can do everyones head in by playing loads of leonard between bands :)
confetti

Post by confetti » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:47 pm

we were looking for Christy couldn't see him anywhere, a couple of seats up from us were kept empty the whole night for a vip and we thought it might be for Christy but I don't know who the man and woman were that turned up.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”