CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin (June 13, 14, and 15)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Georges

Re: Dublin (June 13-15)

Post by Georges » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:56 pm

I was at last night's show and it was bloody fantastic. Any Cohen fan will be weeping at the purity of this concert. Words cannot express his three hours of songs, mainly of his later albums. When the two Webb sisters sang If it be your will, it was haunting, skating on the hypnotic,full of emotions and the hair stood up on my neck. This was the highlight of the chosen set. Leonard did a rousing Take this Watlz and there were couples waltzing near the large screen, oblivious to eternity like the I'm your man logo. The sound was perfect and the two large screens showed Leonard and hid band to perfection. I am still pinching myself, was I there or was it all a pleasant dream?........

No Cohen fan should miss this world tour, his voice is still crystal clear and his band perfectly compliments his songs. For a man in his 70's, he puts younger bands to shame......

Georges.
racerbear02

Post by racerbear02 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:16 pm

Red Poppy wrote:Racerbear02 "I genuinely filled up during both of those,"

Unleaded or diesel? :lol:
Guinness of course :D
neotheus

Post by neotheus » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi folks,

A relatively young (23-years old) cohenite here with his first forum post. Was at the friday concert last night and am only now able to write something coherent about the whole experience. I am completely agreeing with Georges on this one, Cohen was in a surprisingly good shape and his words, humour, presence and voice touched everyone at Kilmainham, Dublin yesterday and will for sure touch people that go today and tomorrow as well (not to mention the shows yet to come).
The band was constantly and consistently impressive and Leonard gave them credits throughout the evening. The setlist hasn´t changed much from the Canadian shows, but as it is an almost three-hour extravaganza (!) that isn´t a huge surprise. Obviously there are some songs which in the minds of many are lacking from the setlist (such as So Long Marianne, Famous Blue Raincoat etc.) but those songs would only require Leonard´s voice and guitar, which was something we heard only sparsely at the concert. Yet again in my mind that is understood, as the world tour has 9 amazingly talented musicians on stage and it would almost be a waste of talent to not use the whole arsenal of musicianship that Leonard has on board with him. Sail on, Leonard and folks! Anyone who is still going to his concerts, you are in for a real treat.

P.S: I am also interested in knowing from people how Damien Rice did for the saturday and sunday concerts. I am fan of his as well, but yesterday he seemed a bit lost with his own material as I am sure (and as he mentioned himself in his brief in-between-songs-chatter) being the warm-up act to one of your true icons which you have been slightly obsessed with is something that doesn´t happen every day. Did anyone else similarly feel this way about his performance on friday? It was good to have him there though, since he is a truly talented singer-songwriter, with a potentially long and fruitful future ahead of him, walking solidly behind Cohen´s footsteps.

:-Jonas
2008: Dublin (13.6.2008) || 2010: Helsinki (10.8.2010)
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:50 pm

Frisco Girl Quoted the article as saying "There Aint No Room for Love".....

Ha Ha , you're right..thats a "freudian slip" if ever there was one, and see they say that the audience was "on the wrong side of fifty"... ;-) ;-) Well should someone in Ireland on the "wrong side of fifty" better go find that poor young misguided reporter and tell them that "there Aint No cure for it"...either. ;-) .. ... :)
dharma

Post by dharma » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:21 am

i'm not gonna write a review, but i was at last night's gig (friday) and wanted to say to all that it was awesome - much better than previous gigs when i've seen leonard in 85, 88 and 93 - the crowd was great too which added to the atmosphere - i never thought i'd end up standing on a chair and dancing at a leonard concert!

roll on manchester... :D

incidentally, i saw van morrison in london on thursday night, and although he was on top form, he was only on stage 90 minutes and didn't return for an encore, whereas 73-year-old leonard clocked in at just under three hours on stage, and the encore was a mini-concert in itself.
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
John&Cath

Post by John&Cath » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:16 am

This is my first post. Thanks everybody for all the helpful info about the concerts. We're going tomorrow night - and just can't wait. We're driving up from the Midlands and just wondering about parking options near Kilmainham.
Regards,
Cath
lonndubh

Post by lonndubh » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:38 am

Hi Cath. welcome aboard
We are heading up from the Midlands today :D also.we plan to park in Inchacore.While others we know are doing the Park and ride thing and getting the Luas in as far as Huston station.
Manslady

Post by Manslady » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:22 am

Just home... My God, what a night. He's amazing. I feel so incredibly fortunate to have been in his company for three hours.
Backing vocalists wonderful, as were the whole band. He said, 'It's 15 years since I was up here on stage. I was 60 then ... a kid with a crazy dream!'

Oh, he's a beautiful man!

Sharp dresser! Had a round neck sweater on with his suit - it was probably a bit cooler tonight than last night.

Several references to Ireland - 'a genius in every bedroom and a poet in every pub.'

He referred to the Lisbon Treaty result at the end 'As we saw by the vote last week Ireland continues to bewilder the world ...' and encouraged us to keep doing it...

Set list almost exactly the same as previous - posting it after this.

Enjoy, those of you still looking forward to this magnificent experience.
Every heart to love will come, but like a refugee

Dublin 2008
Sligo 2010
Barcelona 2012
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:31 am

dance me to the end wrote:it can piss all over Damie Rice!)

He was bloody good and is a good songwriter so maybe you should actually listen to the man instead of dismissing his work so tritely.

Hopefully tonight (Sun) the dancing singing talking bullshit brigade will have gone away and we can get to see and hear the people we came to see and hear.

Superb show on Sat and no rain!
dolphinswim80

Post by dolphinswim80 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:51 am

Just back from the kilmainham concert and while most people have reported glowing reports of the gig i would have some criticisms ,not of Cohen and his band but more to do with outside venues in general.First the good news, the event is very well run with helpfull staff to show you to your seat and a good ground covering in case of rain.It is a nice setting as far as outside events go and we were spared rain .Being a Cohen gig theres no pushing and shoving that you often find at concerts.However some people like to stand up during certain points in songs which block they views of others,it was also distracting to have so many people wondering around geting beer and food during the set.How can a nation that survied a famine not go 3 hours without having to stuff their faces with sushi,champagane,tacos and very tasty burgers (i got mine during the break).I have seats 13 rows from the front tommorrow nite so hopefull it wont be such an issue as I was further back tonight.I noticed that umberellas were allowed into the venue ,thankfully it didnt rain as I would not like to be seated behind someone with a big one,(umbrella).
Soundwise it was ok, Cohen's music has so many subtleties that they were often lost in the mix.I know it may be unreasonable to expect the same quality of music at an outdoor event and while it was good quality.Im looking forward to seeing him in Grecce and France in indoor venues,the last time I heard him was in Joes bar in New York which is a very intimate venue.So prehaps its an unfair comparision.
Setwise its pretty much similar to the American shows ,hopefully he may stop off in Ireland and do an indoor show with a different setlist as he has more than enough material to do this.No songs from Dear Heather at all which was a shame, would have liked to hear The Letters with Sharon Robinson.
I know its close to heresy to say anything negative about Cohen and while his humility is genuine, at times it can be overbearing,i was half expecting a quiz on the names of the band members before being allowed to leave the venue.In hindsight i think im sitting in row 20 tommorow nite . :D Not that im suggesting any fan would throw a missile of any sort,but rather I would be afraid that lennie may read this and decide to throw his hat 'Oddjob style' (as in Dr.No).I've already chastised him once in New York for being a grumpy old man (that time i got away with a clip around the ear).
Apart from the above was great concert,as lennie said himself 15 years ago he was onstage ' a crazy kid with a dream', well he cant sing ,cant dance,but hes bound to go far...... as hes one snappy dresser.
Seán

Post by Seán » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:32 am

Hi,

It was an amazing concert, well worth the twenty year wait. It's great how beautiful the music still is, and Leonard's voice has lost none of its power. Like Kris Kristofferson and decent red wine he is getting better with age. He thanked us for keeping his songs alive. It is a privilege to be fortunate enough to do so.

I agree with Dolphin on the behaviour of the patrons. This concert sold out in minutes, so obviously everyone who was there was a fan, yet many missed the first few songs, as they decided to wait for their drinks at the bar. Perhaps the venue should close the concessions while the artist is on stage in future...
tiggs

Post by tiggs » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:48 am

Just back from the gig, long 4 hour bus and car journey..... But I care not and feel not a bit tired... that was an amazing gig, anyone going tonight as has been said before... you will have a ball.
Only one thing to worry about... If you are going to the loo at the break, get there quick there will be thousands doing the same thing and its no bigger than a pub loo... God only knows how bad it is for the ladies :)
I was very lucky to be centre and only a few rows back and the sound was the best i've heard outdoors anywhere, friends who were at the back said the same.
I have been buzzing bout this gig for months but it was 100 times better than I thought it would be.
There seems to be no problem with photos and you get to keep your ticket :)
Tower of song was the highlight for me , but it was over before most people were back from the loo :)

"If it be your will " was out of this world ... I am a happy happy man today :) :) :)
stfa

Post by stfa » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:05 am

Glad to hear my (twice removed) motherland is appreciating Leonard as much as we do and did......love the reports....keep them up.....especially those about his new patter!!!!
(oh and dolphinswim......it was CANADIAN shows (just like the man himself) NOT American......Slainte!)
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
Gercav

Post by Gercav » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:49 pm

"Soundwise it was ok, Cohen's music has so many subtleties that they were often lost in the mix.I know it may be unreasonable to expect the same quality of music at an outdoor event and while it was good quality.Im looking forward to seeing him in Grecce and France in indoor venues,the last time I heard him was in Joes bar in New York which is a very intimate venue.So prehaps its an unfair comparision."

Dolphin, you knew it was outdoors before you attended the event, you can't " win em all"

"hopefully he may stop off in Ireland and do an indoor show with a different setlist as he has more than enough material to do this"

You need to realise that every artist plays to a different audience each time, and every fan has different tastes, there are benefits in playing outdoor and indoor, as there are issues with sound etc, most of his gigs are indoors!!.

" at times it can be overbearing,i was half expecting a quiz on the names of the band members before being allowed to leave the venue.In hindsight i think im sitting in row 20 tommorow nite ."

????

"Apart from the above was great concert"

Maybe you should leave the "apart" out.

I was at the concert last night, the music , the atmosphere, and Mr Cohen, all combined to make it one of the most memorable nights of my life.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Dolphin wrote: "How can a nation that survied a famine not go 3 hours without having to stuff their faces with sushi,champagane,tacos and very tasty burgers"

Put beggars on horseback - that's the problem :D

You're right and I have to agree the band-check was a bit repetitive for me.
But the songs, the songs!
Really looking forward to tonight and being in front of the the waving wankers. All they were short of was lighters.
And I REALLY hope the woman who kept shouting "Sing So Long Marianne" during A Thousand Kisses Deep has got a dose of Mexican Belly tonight and that her voice is muffled by the sturdy loos or that she just stays at home.

Tiggs - you're right - go early!

Gercav - you've got to leave room for people to criticise.
Brilliant yes but there were problems (though not on the stage) mostly created by gobshites who know Halleluijah and Democracy and never heard of Gypsy Wife and thought it was a new song.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”