CONCERT REPORT: Glastonbury (June 29)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tiggs

Re: Glastonbury (June 29)

Post by tiggs »

Missing Kris kristofferson through flashing lights, my ex took me to him a while back and if I had known that worked I could have missed the whole thing .... :lol: :lol:
At the Dublin show I never thought of taking photos or recording it on the mobile, I was too caught up in the moment. Still raging he wasn't filmed at the greatest festival in the world. But its gone now.
I've have calmed down from my disappointment and rage at not seeing Leonard on the telly.
Just been looking over Glastonbury on iplayer and elbow has to be the highlight. I only had " leaders of the free world " before the festival, but today I bought their whole back catalogue. If only Leonard had televised how many albums would have he got rid of :)
Still not sure bout the DVD though, how many non cohenites are gonna see it and thats the people who should be introduced to the great man.
sirius

Post by sirius »

Leonard Cohen creates magic moment at Glastonbury festival

30 June 2008

http://www.hellomagazine.ca/news/200806 ... estival/1/

As the setting sun began to turn the sky pink on the final day of Britain's famous Glastonbury music festival, Canadian legend Leonard Cohen stepped on stage to create a moment that was sure to go down in the event's history.

Launching into his famous 1984 track Hallelujah – which has since been covered by the likes of kd lang and Jeff Buckley – the veteran performer was joined by thousands of audience members in an unforgettable mass sing-a-long.

Arms in the air, the crowd accompanied him on every chorus, then gave him a massive ovation as he finished and took a bow.

The 72-year-old had further thrilled his audience as he sang by refashioning the lyrics for the occasion – changing the line "I told the truth, I didn't come here to fool ya," to "I told the truth, I didn't come to Glastonbury to fool ya."

The high-profile gig at Britain's best-known music festival – which also featured performances by US rapper Jay Z and jazz singer Amy Winehouse – is just one of several appearances Leonard has lined up this summer. His world tour – the talented musician's first in 15 years – will see him play venues in London, Lisbon and Prague with the tour wrapping up at the Vienna Opera house on August 29.
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
AlisonZ

Post by AlisonZ »

beckysharpe wrote:
confetti wrote:
beckysharpe wrote:Having a huge stack of cd's, cassettes and LP's, I am more than annoyed. Annoyed that I have held him in such high regard for more years than I'm prepared to tell anyone, and then he dumps on all his fans by refusing to be filmed. Don't blame his lawyers - it was his decision, you can be sure. I'm not going to bin everything right now, but I can't really imagine enjoying listening to him again now we see the man behind the music. Certainly I'd have bought whatever DVD there might have been - but not now.

And as for Mean Fiddler, Michael Eavis and the BBC - wtf were they playing at not ensuring that every act signed a contract agreeing to be filmed? As a publicly-funded corporation why is the BBC covering an event and letting their coverage be limited by individual performers t&c? The huge publicity they generate is worth a fortune and with Leonard Cohen a headliner what are we all doing funding coverage that is conditional upon the performers not throwing a wobbly? No wonder Michael Eavis looked so shaky this evening.

I have seldom been so angry and disappointed. It's pretty well beyond belief in the crassness of the judgement.
you will get over it tomorrow, you can't just dump someone over one decision. I am disappointed, I just wish the BBC had mentioned sooner that he wasn't going to be on, as I left a "gathering" early to watch it.
I won't get over it tomorrow; it's a contradiction of his public persona, and blocking the cameras has never, ever happened before. If a judgement is made that cash comes ahead of the people who have been buying his music for decades then I've made my judgement too.
Wow, you have really overreacted. You have no idea why he wasn't filmed. There are many reasons that may have nothing to do with money. Even if it is because of money, chances are it has more to do with rights issues that are beyond his control. But, even if it is none of those things, who cares? Why should Leonard be above making money when noone else is? Being broadcast might have been a good way to introduce him to some UK fans (since the rest of the world doesn't really care about Glasto that much), but that's it. Real fans who have been waiting 15 years to see him, will buy a ticket to see him somewhere in the world, as live is best. So if you were too cheap to pay to see him, how does that show he is not giving back to his fans?
confetti

Post by confetti »

tiggs wrote:Missing Kris kristofferson through flashing lights, my ex took me to him a while back and if I had known that worked I could have missed the whole thing .... :lol: :lol:
Kris was excellent you philistine :D
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
scorp

Post by scorp »

i'm gonna put that on the glasto forum at efestivals.co.uk

brill.
Deena

Post by Deena »

Hi beckysharpe,
I strongly suggest you give it a month or so and consider your feelings. If you still feel the same...I'm a few CDs short if you'd seriously like to get rid of any.
Go well.
ManiSav

Post by ManiSav »

A thought came to me driving today (and listening to Leonard of course). Could the sudden change in plan over broadcasting be down to the fact that the BBC were broadcasting parts of Glastonbury in Hi-def? Perhaps plans for a DVD would be comprimised if there was broadcast quality footage in a hi-def format doing the rounds?

Just an idle thought
subtle

Post by subtle »

ManiSav wrote:A thought came to me driving today (and listening to Leonard of course). Could the sudden change in plan over broadcasting be down to the fact that the BBC were broadcasting parts of Glastonbury in Hi-def? Perhaps plans for a DVD would be comprimised if there was broadcast quality footage in a hi-def format doing the rounds?

Just an idle thought
This wasnt a sudden change in plan by Leonard, these contracts are drawn up well in advance - The BBC must have known from the outset that he wasnt going to play, what they should have done is be honest and told the viewers about it earlier in the day and weekend also put it on their website earlier. They didnt because they wanted people to tune in thinking he would be on its not Leonard's fault people were disappointed.
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

The reason that Mark Radcliffe, one of the BBC presenter's of the Glastobury coverage, gave (during the BBC2 evening broadcast) for the refusal by LC to be filmed by the Beeb was the fear that being in the glare of the camera would adversely affect the performance. That sounds as good a reason as any. The crowd at Glastonbury is a big enough one to handle without the additional glare of cameras with further unseen millions behind them.

This is a storm in a teacup. No one has lost anything from the lack of Glastonbury TV coverage of Leonard's performance. I doubt his legacy, future sales will be affected significantly one way or the other. The body of work is already there. Preservation of the persona by a degree of unavailability is a good thing.

Having watched the shite that was included in the Glastonbury coverage and witnessed the banality of some of the presenter commentaries between excerpts, I'm actually pleased that Cohen wasn't featured.
jally

Post by jally »

I had a wonderful glastonbury this year and enjoyed a really and truly amazing gig by Leonard who seemed to be enjoying himself just as much...laughing and smiling whilst I was dancing on the grassy hill in the sun. I felt more free in this respect than I did at Dublin's seated gig in the rain!! :lol:

And i'm glad it wasn't taped if it meant that Len could be that happy and relaxed on what must be an overwhelming stage with all ages, shapes n sizes not to mention many potential non fans just waiting for the next band.

I'm also glad that an artist has the free choice of whether or not to be filmed. I can imagine it is not cant be very comfortable having a huge camera in your face following you around the stage, when trying to perform. I've often wondered how so many could do it as some cameras get right up close.

And for the Becky's of this world who think they own someone because they bought X number of albums/singles/concert tickets...*newsflash* you don't!
on each of the items you bought over the years you got something in return and no doubt something wonderful on each occasion. That kind of attitude displayed here is really ugly and one I would shudder to be associated with. bringing out the public bradcaster duty blah blah is a really poor card to play. If you are a fan you will respect his decision, for whatever reason, as final.

I'm disappointed to come home and not be able to re-live the experience but i'm not going to throw a tantrum either. Build a bridge...get over it.

To be honeset I was a little worried how LC would go down in glasto from both artist and audience! so i'm really pleased it was soo soo good! :D
Jx
jally

Post by jally »

Seanmiller...are you shepton mallet local? i had 2 really enjoyable days there and spent some time in the local surrounding area. It is really a beautiful countryside (off festival site anyway, that bit is a smidgin crowded :lol: ). Although even from on site up high there are incredible views of the rolling countryside, even better in the sunshine 8)
Jx
gingermop

Post by gingermop »

Dear all

Well… as some of you know, I'm BBC staff, so I've been inundated with queries lately (some of them from very disgruntled people). I was not directly involved with the Glastonbury coverage, but I’d like to clear a couple of things up so hopefully, we can move on from these discussions:
  • 1. Lack of coverage had nothing to do with Leonard not being considered ‘important’ enough – he’s very much adored in media circles.
    2. The decision not to film was made quite late in the day and was requested by Leonard and/or his team. This was then announced on BBC2 preceding his slot, though apparently many people missed it.
    3. If someone says you can’t film them, you can’t film them, simple as that. The days of signing-a-contract-and-that’s-it are over. There's all kinds of convoluted madness about broadcast/copyright rights in this industry that entertainment lawyers have heart attacks over (and would bore the average person to death, including me). The BBC does not ‘own’ Glastonbury or have a contractual right to film everything, and it’s natural to respect performers’ wishes.
    4. I think some folks have the wrong impression about the potential recordings for a DVD. A broadcast does not get stopped because the management thinks “if people see it on TV, they won’t buy the DVD”. That is nonsense. In fact, it often runs the other way around, as people want more of what they have seen.
Listen, folks: I was one of those people who also wanted to “show Leonard off” to my friends who aren’t familiar with him, to point them in the direction of the broadcast and say “hey, look at what I’ve been talking about!” I suspect that’s one of the main reasons for the disappointment. We couldn't share him.

I think we should all move on – it was obviously a wonderful gig for the people who were there. The TV watchers missed out, but the absence of a broadcast from a muddy field in Somerset is not going to kill you, or kill Leonard’s image (which doesn’t need bolstering in the UK any further, if you really think about it). The nature/quality of his work means that new fans don't need to go to that much effort to find him anyway (as I did).

Bear in mind, Glasto was probably a logistical nightmare for Leonard because of the to-and-fro across the Atlantic twice in two weeks, to honour his commitments. He didn’t have to do it, and it's knackering enough for someone half his age. Frankly, I was grateful of the decision to tour at all, and so widely. So should you be.

Roll on Scandinavia!

G
Last edited by gingermop on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
confetti

Post by confetti »

hurrah for gingermop. :D
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Gina, thanks. I think this little fella loves you ------------------------->
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
ManiSav

Post by ManiSav »

Thanks for the clarification. maybe I shold detox with a little Steve Earle, or Tom Waits - this is all starting to get *intense*

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”