CONCERT REPORT: Glastonbury (June 29)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
zintman61

CONCERT REPORT: Glastonbury (June 29)

Post by zintman61 »

Glastonbury has a history of webcast performances from the festival.
There doesn't appear to be any solid info (yet) on whether Leonard's set will be webcast....or at the very least,an audio broadcast.
(any info on that jarkko?)

The various websites involved with Glastonbury are starting to fall into place.

Here's a link to Leonard's page at the BBC's Glastonbury website.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/glastonbury/2008/a ... se#comment

Here's the link to the main page at the BBC's Glastonbury website.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/glastonbury/2008/

Here's a link to the Festival's official website.
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/

Here's a link to the Festival's radio broadcast website.
http://www.glastonburyfm.co.uk/
Last edited by zintman61 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
zintman61

Re: Glastonbury Sunday June 29

Post by zintman61 »

Here's a webcam image of the Pyramid stage where Leonard will be performing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/glastonbury/2008/webcam/
Imyourman

Re: Glastonbury (June 29)

Post by Imyourman »

Of all the gigs I'm looking forward to this one as LC will be playing to a much different audience than he normally plays to. Whereas most of the audience at his other concerts are dedicated fans most at the Glastonbury gig will be people who only know him by reputation.

I won't be there so, I hope it'll be on television.
confetti

Post by confetti »

The bbc usually broadcast from glastonbury as well, last year I think I remember watching a full set by John Fogerty although it was on one of the funny bbc channels bbc4 or something.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
jally

Post by jally »

leaving dublin tomorrow for my big glastonbury road trip!

cant wait! :D
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

confetti wrote:The bbc usually broadcast from glastonbury as well, last year I think I remember watching a full set by John Fogerty although it was on one of the funny bbc channels bbc4 or something.
Herewith the provisional BBC schedule for Glastonbury, as listed in today's issue of The Times:

SUNDAY

TELEVISION

5pm-6.40pm BBC Two (and HD)

Neil Diamond from the Pyramid stage, plus Newton Faulkner.

7pm-8pm BBC Three

Mark Ronson and the Pigeon Detectives on the Other stage.

9pm-10pm BBC Four

Highlights from Jazz/World stage, including Solomon Burke.

10pm-12.30am BBC Three

Leonard Cohen, Goldfrapp, Zutons.

11pm-2am BBC Two (and HD)

The Verve on the Pyramid stage.

Last year, you could access a selection of sets from Glastonbury by the likes of John Fogerty and the wonderful Arcade Fire via the BBC's interactive service (i.e. by pressing the red button on your remote control!) at your leisure.

Here's hoping for a similar facility this year.....and plenty of footage of Mister Cohen, obviously.
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
tiggs

Post by tiggs »

Lets hope we get a good half hour of leonard on the BBC, they seem to cut from amazing artists to something really pants on a weird tent with a 100 people crowd. Hope he manages an interview too. As to the reaction of the crowd, they will love it. Remember johnny cash there a few years ago.
All the people I know who are going on Sunday are determined to drag themselves away from dance, rock, world music,folk and every other stage to see him. They like me are still puzzled as to why he is on before the verve and not headlining. But I guess that is the way Glastonbury has gone in recent years.
Shame he isnt doing lover lover lover this tour cause by the reaction I get when I play it at every gig of every genre it would go down a storm with the Glastonbury crowd.
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

This week's issue of the NME contains their preview of this year's Glastonbury Festival.

In their list of the '10 Bands That You Must See At Glastonbury 2008', Mister Cohen features at No. 8:

No. 8: Leonard Cohen, Pyramid Stage, 20.00 on Sunday, 29th June

"Don't expect much in the way of cheer; the dominant themes of the 73 year old's work are sex, religion, death and depression.
What you can expect, though, is one of the most intense shows of the weekend from a bona fide living legend, a man inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame by no less an authority than Lou Reed.
If he plays Hallelujah, expect the earth to move and rivers of mud to part. Metaphorically, of course."

The article is accompanied by a small colour photograph of LC from his current tour.
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
kwills

Post by kwills »

The BBC will show LC on sunday night at 10.30pm as I understand it.Not sure if he is live or just highlights.
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
gingermop

Post by gingermop »

kwills wrote:The BBC will show LC on sunday night at 10.30pm as I understand it.Not sure if he is live or just highlights.
This is likely to be just highlights, however I think some plans are underway to have the full set either later on BBC3 or 4, or streaming from the web.

G
tiggs

Post by tiggs »

BBC 2 cover a lot of Glastonbury but because there is so much on the seem to jump around the different stages. I think that will be the case on Sunday night, with mostly the verve ?????... They never seem to give a complete list of the acts they will show.

A good option would be to try BBC 3 I dont have freeview but they are covering a lot on line BBC.co.uk/bbcthree.
And then there's the iplayer.
I've asked if they will broadcast an interview but heard nothing. Perhaps Jarkko knows
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

You can watch any of the BBC's tv programmes for 7 days afterwards on BBC iplayer (website). So if there is any coverage of Leonard at Glastonbbury on any of the BBC tv channels you should be able to catch it on iplayer for a week afterwards. The site is quite self explanatory to use.

Honeyrose
Isi

Post by Isi »

10pm-12.30am BBC Three

Leonard Cohen, Goldfrapp, Zutons.

Thanks, Born with the Gift of a G for the above information. I've been searching Glastonbury on Interactive - + 24 hours and all sorts and could find no mention of the man himself. Can't believe that they don't seem to recognise what's in their midst!! Fulfilled the greatest of my life's ambitions two weeks ago - to see Leonard Cohen live. Another of my life's ambitions was to go to Glastonbury, but d'ye know. I'd now happily settle to see Leonard on TV live at Glastonbury! :D
Inge

Post by Inge »

honeyrose wrote:You can watch any of the BBC's tv programmes for 7 days afterwards on BBC iplayer (website). So if there is any coverage of Leonard at Glastonbbury on any of the BBC tv channels you should be able to catch it on iplayer for a week afterwards. The site is quite self explanatory to use.

Honeyrose
Hello Honeyrose,

I just went to the BBC iplayer website, but the coverage of BBC programmes is only available for the UK, not for other countries.

Greetings,
Inge
linmag

Post by linmag »

tiggs wrote:Lets hope we get a good half hour of leonard on the BBC, they seem to cut from amazing artists to something really pants on a weird tent with a 100 people crowd. Hope he manages an interview too. As to the reaction of the crowd, they will love it. Remember johnny cash there a few years ago.
All the people I know who are going on Sunday are determined to drag themselves away from dance, rock, world music,folk and every other stage to see him. They like me are still puzzled as to why he is on before the verve and not headlining. But I guess that is the way Glastonbury has gone in recent years.
Shame he isnt doing lover lover lover this tour cause by the reaction I get when I play it at every gig of every genre it would go down a storm with the Glastonbury crowd.
Tiggs, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is actually Leonard's choice to play the earlier slot. I know he's still full of beans and all, but I can also imagine that at his age he would not exactly relish the thought of having to get up on stage at 11pm. And if that means not topping the bill, I can't see that bothering Leonard at all. The rush for tickets to this tour showed that Leonard is such an icon now that he could perform first thing in the morning and still draw a capacity crowd. I just feel sorry for the Verve! Leonard is going to be one helluvan act to follow :).
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”