CONCERT REPORT: Glastonbury (June 29)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
scorpio1952

Re: Glastonbury (June 29)

Postby scorpio1952 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:40 pm

Shame about this, but will keep watching, just in case! Meanwhile, we'll have the DVD to look forward to. :D
Life is what happens to us while we are busy making other plans.
simonmoorehead

Postby simonmoorehead » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:44 pm

what dvd?
i would like to buy any artwork by lc
simonmoorehead@yahoo.com

Snow is Falling , there's a nude in my room!
Caillte

Postby Caillte » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:53 pm

This is such a bad decision. So many people asked me who is Leonard Cohen when I told them I was heading to Dublin. Now everyone seems to know who he is and many have bought his records. Imagine the impact Glastonbury would have? Surely he knew that BBC would broadcast the concert. Also, I deperately need another fix of Leonard.
qbera6

Postby qbera6 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:15 am

yeah I am very disapointed too :( was so looking forward to watching it.

but thanks all of you guys for posting it will not be broadcasted after all.
Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:30 am

I have spent all day looking forward to seeing him on TV..even just for one or two songs.
I have been switching from BBC3 to BBCi and was about to try BBC2 and then I find out that he's not gracing our screens.
Can someone tell me the reason why??

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
AngloSaxon

Postby AngloSaxon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:42 am

Me too seriously gutted I am. It's not like I haven't seen him before either,I was at three superb Manchester concerts so I have made a contribution. It's all about money........sad :cry:
Manchester 17th, 18th, 19th June 2008
MartinC

Postby MartinC » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:59 am

GLASTONBURY SETLIST AND REVIEW

Such a shame about the BBC - sounds like it was a great set - this from the NME website..................MartinC

The veteran's famous song inspires a sunset 'moment'
Veteran singer/songwriter Leonard Cohen inspired a Glastonbury 'moment' when he played his legendary song 'Hallelujah' during his Pyramid Stage slot at Glastonbury tonight (June 29).

As sun set, the 73 year-old performed the song which originally appeared on his 1984 album 'Various Positions', and gained a new lease of life when Jeff Buckley covered it on his acclaimed 1994 album 'Grace'.

The star started the song just as sun was setting, and further delighted the massive crowd when he changed the lyric "I told the truth, I didn't come here to fool ya" to "I told the truth, I didn't come to Glastonbury to fool ya". The crowd sang every chorus with Cohen, and gave him a massive ovation at the end, when he took a bow.

Cohen played many of his most famous songs, including 'Who By Fire', 'Suzanne' and 'So Long, Marianne', after which he said the crowd: "It's a great honour to play before these angels born of the mud."

The Canadian legend finished his set with 'First We Take Manhattan', before getting a huge ovation from his legion of fans.

The set was:

'Dance Me To The End Of Love'
'The Future'
'Ain't No Cure For Love'
'Bird On A Wire'
'Everybody Knows'
'Who By Fire'
'Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye'
'So Long, Marianne'
'Tower Of Song'
'Suzanne'
'Hallelujah'
'Democracy'
'I'm Your Man'
'Closing Time'
'Anthem'
'First We Take Manhattan'
tiggs

Postby tiggs » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:15 am

What the F**k is that about... does whoever is looking after leonard have no idea about the impact of glastonbury. Im personally fed up with the constant mention of finance and money... I know he has to make a living but for me music is about more than that.
I have many many friends in the music business who SURVIVE on the dole on £42 a week.
Leonard Cohen has always been about music and poetry, this does not seem right and im angry. The music business is a dirty and horrible business but this is beyonde me. As for the DVD, how many young people watching glastonbury on the BBC tonight will ever think to buy it and be introduced to the great man ???
confetti

Postby confetti » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:17 am

I am really disappointed, i was looking forward to that so much. I just had a look at the photos on the bbc glastonbury page, who is the drummer, is it Rafael with a severe haircut?
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
anne.jenkin

Postby anne.jenkin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:19 am

Like many others who went to Dublin or who are desperate for O2, I hoped that Glastonbury would convert a new generation to Leonard only to be told by BBC complaints that they were not allowed to show/record the Leonard Cohen Glastonbury set and so we were not allowed to see it live or otherwise.
Free access is not the problem - free exposure to Cohen only creates paying fans - if this management thinks limiting free access will endanger income they are as rubbish as the management who stole his funds(with less imagination).
AngloSaxon

Postby AngloSaxon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:34 am

I agree with Anne, a very stupid decision. It sounds like it was a fantastic performance which, if it wasn't recorded professionally, is lost.
As if we wouldn't buy any future dvd because we got a freebie!! A great pity.
Manchester 17th, 18th, 19th June 2008
margaret

Postby margaret » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:38 am

Very disappointed :(

so many people I know who have said for ages "Leonard Cohen? who's that? " were tuning in tonight to see what I have been making such a fuss about . This a a big opportunity missed. The publicity would have been wonderful for Leonard. A bad decision by the management/lawyers.

Margaret
emmyloveslenny

Postby emmyloveslenny » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:47 am

I am so gutted to read this - like so many others on here, I have been driving my family insane flicking from channel to channel for the last 3 and a half hours and feeling utterly incensed at the BBC's discrimination against legendary Canadian singer-songwriters! At times I have been desperate to personally punch Edith Bowman and Zane Lowe in the face for their casual asides regarding to the Great Man himself!

At least now I know there will not be any coverage so I can go to bed, but I feel so silly - my poor husband has missed most of the Euro2008 final thanks to me. I guess Leonard has his reasons - but it is very disappointing for his fans, and I wish the BBC had been more transparent about it during tonight's programming. It's been a frustrating evening.

All the more frustrating for me, since my parents and brother were there - the last I heard from my mum was a text to say that they had managed to push forward to the third row and that he played until 10pm (was due on about 8.15- 8.30 i think) and it was "amazing". I saw him in Manchester on 20/6 and am going to O2 in July - but had to sit Glastonbury out due to my two little children.

On a postive note - it's lovely to come on here and find so many other fans who can totally relate to how disappointing this has been.
the end

Postby the end » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:48 am

Reading that review and seeing the set list has made me even more disapointed. Its a loopy decision, whoever made that call obviously under estimated how big an impact being broadcast could have made to LC :x
secretchord

Postby secretchord » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:49 am

this is all very disheartening, I guess it remains to be seen who had the final word on this and why but I'm very disappointed and further confirmed in my aversion to the music industry

I've already ridden questions from friends about the ticket prices I paid to see Leonard at the Opera House (and I mean the face value ones) but I didn't mind that as I felt I was contributing to Leonard's income but I would have really loved to see footage of Leonard at Glastonbury - I went there many times in my youth and it would have been pretty special to see the response I'm sure he got from the crowd

If this is a management decision it's very cynical and Leonard deserves better, it seems to go against the spirit of the festival itself but then who knows what goes on behind the scenes?
...that David played and it pleased the Lord...

http://www.myspace.com/morrinmusic

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”