CONCERT REPORT: Glastonbury (June 29)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
honeyrose

Re: Glastonbury (June 29)

Postby honeyrose » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:52 pm

Yes Inge I am sorry about not making that clear - iplayer can only be accessed in the UK at present. If you are in the UK you can download the programmes you want to watch and keep them for a limited period on your PC (30 days usually), so I downloaded a programme for my son wanted to see when he was on holiday onto my laptop and took it to show him when he got back. The programmes are date stamped in some way and automatically deleted when this expires.

Earlier this year the BBC announced that iPlayer video service will soon be available via the Nintendo Wii. It is currently being tested and an early version of the service was announced for 9 April. I don't have a Nintendo so I don't know if/how it works.The BBC expects to release more test versions in late 2008. Again only available to BBC Licence payers at present. Apparently the BBC is at loggerheads with internet service providers (ISPs) over who should pay for extra network costs to access iPlayer. ISPs say the iPlayer is putting strain on their networks, which need to be upgraded to cope. Simon Gunter, from ISP Tiscali, is leading a call for the BBC to help pay for the rising costs.

Still at least Glastonbury is broadcast via the BBC - the ITV equivalent to iPlayer , itv.com is hopeless. I have never managed to access it properly and their technical support team seem to have gone into hiding.
tiggs

Postby tiggs » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:11 pm

Was meant to be there today but had to work at the last minute. Bit narked but glad its on the telly.
Yeah the verve are gonna have to pull out something special to follow leonard. After seeing him in Dublin I was numb for hours and couldnt have imagined listening to anything else. The coverage on BBC three so far has been great from both the pyramid and other stage so hopefully there will be good coverage of his set. Again I hope there is an interview, would love to know how he feels about the tour so far. I shall have my feet up glued to the telly from 7 just on the off chance. Cannot wait to see how the crowd reacts, but if it is anything like the reaction to Elbow and Duffy last night, it will be amazing. I hope the non cohenites out there realise what a treat they are in for :)
AngloSaxon

Postby AngloSaxon » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi All,
I was looking on the multi screen BBC2,3,4 last night and the index gave a list of the line up for today, there was no mention of leonard at all. I hope it's updated today. I hope the BBC don't miss this opportunity!! Cheers, John
Manchester 17th, 18th, 19th June 2008
billybroke

Postby billybroke » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:16 pm

I've been checking the schedules too; no mention of our man. If the best broadcaster in the world doesn't have comprehensive footage of the best singer/songwiter in our galaxy I will be gutted, and feel a concerted and co-ordinated complaint would definately be in order. No Disrespect to Neil Diamond and his molls; but if they can show the best part of an hour of him..........................
gingermop

Postby gingermop » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:20 pm

Oh dear.

A few moments ago his page on the site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/glastonbury/2008/a ... nardcohen/) had been updated with:

"Note: ** Unfortunately the Leonard Cohen set was unavailable for filming **"

But it's now disappeared. Will try find out. A producer called me a moment ago but I heard nothing over the general din!

G
Last edited by gingermop on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
asta

Re: Glastonbury (June 29) No Leonard ?

Postby asta » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:27 pm

I have just called BBC Television Centre and they called BBC Glastonbury office who told them "we are not filming Leonard Cohen tonight !" WHY NOT ?
If this is correct - a shattering disappointment for so many people.

BBC information line on Friday also did not think that Leonard would be filmed!
gingermop

Postby gingermop » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:30 pm

Argh.

Believe me, the BBC would not pass on filming Leonard under normal circumstances.
And now the page says:

** Leonard Cohen has chosen not to be recorded for TV or radio on his UK tour **

Might be something to do with the rights negotiations.

Disappointing though.

G
Last edited by gingermop on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
the end

Postby the end » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Gutted about this, I was really looking forward to watching him tonight. Hopefully a few decent audience vids will emerge
Mirren

Postby Mirren » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:02 pm

Well having sat through Neil earlier on this evening...... thanks for the info.! It saves me sitting up for ages through other acts hoping to see him. I guess I will just have to save myself for Edinburgh!... soon.....oh very soon..... :D :D
the end

Postby the end » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:05 pm

Mirren wrote:Well having sat through Neil earlier on this evening...... thanks for the info.! It saves me sitting up for ages through other acts hoping to see him. I guess I will just have to save myself for Edinburgh!... soon.....oh very soon..... :D :D
I was wanting to watch it to get in the mood for Edinburgh :(
gingermop

Postby gingermop » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:23 pm

AvidCohenFan

Postby AvidCohenFan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:26 pm

Argh, this is terrible news. At least he looks happy :(
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:30 pm

This could well be a major mistake financially for Leonard, because numerous people would have watched him at Glastonbury who may previously never have heard of him. I'm personally sorry that I couldn't see the concert, as I've been looking forward to it. Though on a selfish level, it's nice to keep Leonard from too much mass appeal, cause it might have made it even harder to get tickets next time!

All good things, John E
Joney

Postby Joney » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:34 pm

I agree with John. This decision doesn't seem to make any business sense at all. Surely it could have introduced him to a bigger audience. I've enjoyed watching many big name artists at Glastonbury. How will this benefit Leonard?
simonmoorehead

Postby simonmoorehead » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:39 pm

BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER

Lennie I suspect was nervous of his performance
Lets hope some bbc guy tapes it
simon
i would like to buy any artwork by lc
simonmoorehead@yahoo.com

Snow is Falling , there's a nude in my room!

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”