CONCERT REPORTS: Manchester, UK (June 17, 18, 19 and 20)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
46jimbo

Re: Manchester, UK (June 17-20)

Post by 46jimbo »

I enjoyed that, jrw!!
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Nice one jrw!!!!! ;-)
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

jrw, thanks for the 'lyrical' review. :) I was there on Wednesday too. My tears are now dry, and my memory is alive.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
fuzza

Post by fuzza »

Thanks to everyone who has posted reviews of last week’s concerts. What an incredible privilege to have been part of the audience in Manchester on Wednesday… I can’t get it out of my mind. Listening with shivering spine, wet eyes, full heart. Those songs… so familiar to most of us, I’m sure, and yet heard that night as if completely new… searing and soothing, songs that strip you bare, make you feel the beauty and hopelessness and glory and fragility of human existence. We have really witnessed something great, something unique this week, haven’t we?
Ger

Post by Ger »

cloudlea wrote:Last night was pure magic. In the Circle could hear every word and note.
I have waited 40 years for this, how can we thank him.
Perfect venue in my opinion.

One warning to anyone going to the rest of the Manchester concerts the ushers
were very strict about cameras or video recorders. We got told off twice.
They were really nice in Dublin..ok it was outdoors..but I got to film an hour of the amazing gig which we have watched over and over and are throwing a post LC party for friends who were there. Friends who failed to make it are not invited cos they'd be just too sad to see what they missed. After waiting for this for 40 years I'm a raving lunatic now that I've finally seen the great man. Way to go, Mr Cohen
Pete

Post by Pete »

On Friday me and Paula travelled from Derby to Manchester and it was sunny and the trees were green and by the time we got to Stockport we were a bit hungry so we stopped at a KFC and Paula had 2 bits of chicken and some chips and I had the same and then we carried on into Manchester and ignored the Sat Nav which tried to take us down roads we didn't want to be taken down and we found a pub called 'The Deansgate' and we parked across the road from it and I rang Tim at the same time as he was texting me and we could see each other with our phones and how we laughed and then we joined Ken in the pub and some others joined us for short whiles and the 4 of us that's me and Paula and Tim and Ken walked to the Opera House and Ken had said that it was an 8 minute walk so I timed us and I have to say that Ken had told a lie and it wasn't 8 minutes but he tried to make it 8 minutes by stopping and talking to people cos he knew we were making better time and he needed to retain his credibility but I knew his game and I won't ever believe him again and I forgot to mention that in the pub was Lister from Red Dwarf alias Lloyd from Coronation Street and I'm a fan of both and that made my day but I should say made my day for the time being as my day was going to be made up later and anyway we made it to the Opera House and I had Paula's and Tim's tickets and gave them to them as we waited outside and a desperate lady passing by thought I had some to sell and I feel so guilty that for a fleeting second she thought I had a spare ticket and later she was stood outside with a handwritten notice which said I want to buy a ticket please as everyone filed in and I wished I did have spare ticket and hope she got in but I'm not too sure and then we sat in our seats and there were lots of other people sitting in their seats and this man and his band came on and sang lots of songs and everyone clapped and cheered and sometimes we stood up and it was really really good and Paula and Tim said it was really really good as well and I don't know if Ken said it was really really good as he was sitting somewhere else and we didn't see him but we do know he had already been to other shows which I think were also really really good and after this man had finished singing his songs we all left the theatre and me and Paula went back the way we came but it wasn't sunny anymore because it was dark but the trees were still green and there was a full moon and this all happened on Friday and it's all true.

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Padma

Post by Padma »

Dear Pete (still waiting for the cheque for the guitar)

Punctuation? I am breathless........
Pete

Post by Pete »

Padma wrote:Dear Pete (still waiting for the cheque for the guitar)

Punctuation? I am breathless........
Dear Padma (still waiting for the guitar)
So am I

pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Paula

Post by Paula »

I am just gonna add another couple of lines that Pete missed out.

Craig Charles who played Lister in Red Dwarf was sitting quietly having a pint and reading the paper and if the camera I bought (only 4 months ago) was still in the land of the living I would have took a picture 'cos I like Red Dwarf but unfortunately that camera died in Dublin.

Anyhow Incredible night. I wasted 50p on binoculars at the concert which made Leonard appear further away not closer.

The venue was small and intimate. Leonard feeds off the audience his voice just gets stronger and stronger, his smile gets wider and he is in his element.

He explained how "If it be your Will" was written. I did not know there was apparently a time when he thought he would never sing again and that is the basis for that song.

He sang "Sisters of Mercy" and if you closed your eyes it took you straight back to when you first heard it.

I am hoping he plays "Avalanche" at the O2.

Great night. Good company and Leonard I really could not ask for more.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Pete, is your real family name Joyce, by any chance? ;-)

Padma, he's already got his hands on me Ukelele!! :oops: :roll:
Last edited by Byron on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Byron wrote:Pete, is your real family name Joyce, by any chance? ;-)
No Byron..Joyce is a girl's name and I'm not a girl :D

Pete
Pete

Post by Pete »

Paula wrote:Anyhow Incredible night. I wasted 50p on binoculars at the concert which made Leonard appear further away not closer.

before anyone says anything...we did have the binoculars the right way round!!!
Pete
Byron

Post by Byron »

Pete wrote:
Byron wrote:Pete, is your real family name Joyce, by any chance? ;-)
No Byron..Joyce is a girl's name and I'm not a girl :D

Pete
Is yer miggle name James then??
Pete

Post by Pete »

Byron wrote: Padma, he's already got his hands on me Ukelele!! :oops: :roll:
and I can play 'has anybody seen my girl? '

:lol:

and my miggle name is Leslie :D
Byron

Post by Byron »

Pete wrote:
Byron wrote: Padma, he's already got his hands on me Ukelele!! :oops: :roll:
and I can play 'has anybody seen my girl? '

:lol:

Don't tell me...............

her name's Joyce! ?

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”