Tour Merchandise Info [update: tourbook on page 5!]

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
drsing

Re: Tour Merchandise Info

Post by drsing »

zintman61 wrote:Do the tour shirts include the Canadian dates?
There are no dates on the back of the shirt, just the names of places. The shirt doesn't show any names of the first leg of the tour. So no Fredericton or Moncton, it starts with Dublin, then Manchester and so on.
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I mentioned this in my Manchester review, but I'm saying it again. The T-shirts for the tour are really tacky and tasteless! (the only partial exception being the lighter coloured "New Skin" one). It's not remotely stylish to wear a huge picture of Leonard on your chest, or a T-Shirt that shouts Leonard's lyrics at people across the street. The merchandise for both the "I'm Your Man" and "Future" tours" was excellent. At the former, I bought a black sweat-shirt with a "left pocket" image of a man and woman waltzing with tiny lettering to signify the tour. At the latter, I bought a black polo shirt with a similar small image of "The Future" logo. This has lasted fifteen years (with occasional wear) and still looks good.

The most obvious T-Shirts/polo shirts for this tour from my own perspective would be black ones with a small united hearts logo (in red?) top left, and a white ones with a larger blue "muse" image (as used on the tour poster) in the centre of the shirt. If good quality shirts were provided, I for one would be happy to pay £20/25 for them. The 2008/9 may well be Leonard's last, so please let's have something of quality (i.e. something that we will still want to wear in fifteen years time!)>

All good things, John E
damellon

Post by damellon »

John
Taste is personal and who's to say that style is important to everyone?
For you it's a disappointment but let those who buy the merchandise enjoy it.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
John Etherington

Hi Damellon,

That's true, but there seems to be a general consensus among everyone I've spoken to - because the current stuff is totally unlike anything we've seen on previous Leonard UK tours (and I for one have never missed a single tour in this country). The T-Shirt for "The Future" tour was so good that even Bob Metzger used to wear one on stage!

All good things, John E
K-Holed

Post by K-Holed »

I bought one of the ones with the lyrics to Anthem on it. I'm a big fan of t-shirts with lyrics on them.
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

I have to say that I found the merchandise very disappointing. It does seem a shame that there aren't any tour tees with the poster image on them or even that Leonard did not provide a tour exclusive piece of art work. Previous tours were much better, my sister and I still have our 1988 tees and someone near me at Manchester said the same thing, they said their favourite was Leonard eating a banana. I don't see that commenting that the merchandise looks like it has been jobbed out is disloyal. I think this is a wasted opportunity with many artists to be frank. Better designs = more sales.
confetti

Post by confetti »

Is it possible that the merchandise was a last minute thing, and not all of it has arrived yet? I can imagine polo shirts with an embroidered logo would go very well, however embroidery usually takes a little longer than printed t shirts.

Having not toured for 15 years it must be hard to judge what people would buy at a gig also the general population has become more casual in the past 20 years, so maybe the thought was most people would wear t shirts. Having never been to a Leonard Cohen concert before I found the merchandise ok, but have to admit I only bought a keyring and a tour poster. Not too keen on baggy t shirts and haven't lost enough weight for a skinny fit one. 8)
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
Patsy

Post by Patsy »

I bought a tour T Shirt at Manchester. I would have preferred something with a more subtle design, but the choice wasn't there. This was the first time I have seen Leonard in concert after waiting half my life away, and I wanted something to mark the occasion! So, as I can't compare it with anything from the past, cos I wasn't at past gigs, what the heck - I will wear my T shirt with pride! I was there!!
John Etherington

Hi Patsy,

I contemplated buying the main tour-shirt, but restrained myself, because it didn't meet my expectations. Admittedly the shirts here are standard fare, but I feel that Leonard deserves better than this. Now that I've thrown the idea of shirts with the "muse" image and a small united heart logo into the ethers, then I'm hoping they may still materialise. The others are there for those who like them.

I also find it extraordinary that there wasn't a programme available for this tour, since there has always been one in the past. This is one thing that everyone will potentially buy, and there's serious money to be made here. Most people are prepared to pay £10-£15 for a programme, if it's good value. I certainly hope they get this together for O2 since I believe it holds about 60,000 people. Thus, there's a potential half-million pounds to be made at this venue alone.

Like Leonard, I've found myself in a difficult financial situation recently. However, I still thought "what the heck!", and took £40 to Manchester to buy a shirt and programme. I'm still waiting to spend it.

All good things, John E
James T

Post by James T »

The o2 hold far from 60,000 people. All seated the venue holds jsut 19,000 people. I saw Roger Waters do Dark Side Of The Moon there. It is an ok venue but I hear the sound is usually terrible. I was lucky because Roger and Dark Side of The Moon would never allow for bad sound.
Patsy

Post by Patsy »

John Etherington wrote: I also find it extraordinary that there wasn't a programme available for this tour, since there has always been one in the past. This is one thing that everyone will potentially buy, and there's serious money to be made here. Most people are prepared to pay £10-£15 for a programme, if it's good value.
Hi John
Yes, that was our initial reaction as well - my husband was incredulous when he couldn't see any programmes on sale, and for this event of a lifetime for so many of us, it would have been an excellent way to remember it. Still, if one is produced and can be bought at a later date, there's still a market for it, I guess!
John Etherington

Hi James,

I saw the Eagles at O2 and the sound was excellent, so I'm hoping all will be well for Leonard.

Cheers, John E
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

There is more tour merchandise coming: the program is going to press.
I was also told that polo shorts with logo are ready (shorts or shirts ???- the
original email says "shorts").
damellon

Post by damellon »

jarkko wrote:There is more tour merchandise coming: the program is going to press.
I was also told that polo shorts with logo are ready (shorts or shirts ???- the
original email says "shorts").
Hey Jarkko
Shorts would be innovative! Leonard lingerie - I approve wholeheartedly, but others might feel it's a bit tasteless. :)
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
John Etherington

Actually, knickers as tour merchandise have already been invented! Arthur Lee and Love were the first band I know to have sold such a thing. I'm glad to hear that polo shirts with a logo are on the way (hopefully my visualising them has helped to manifest them!).

All good things, John E

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”