Manchester meet ups

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
liverpoolken

Manchester meet ups

Post by liverpoolken »

2 weeks tonight Leonard will step onto the stage of the Manchester Opera House.

I've scrolled through most of this thread looking to see if anybody has posted up any suggestions or arrangements for a venue for meet ups during Leonard's residency at at the opera house.

Unless I missed it I can't find anything at all.

Come on you Mancs get your thinking caps on.

I know Manchester city centre very well but the last thing you Manks want is a Scouser making suggestions:-)

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
margaret

Re: Manchester meet ups

Post by margaret »

Ideally as close to the venue as possible! We shall be looking for a Blue Badge parking spot.

Margaret
Dublin 15th June, Manchester 18th June, Edinburgh 16th July
Cardiff 8th. November, Manchester 30th. November Liverpool 14th July 2009 Barcelona 21st September 2009, Las Vegas 11th December 2010
Rob

Post by Rob »

And two weeks tonight I will be in his presence.

Does anyone else get irritated by people clapping half way through the first or second line of a song? I have two weeks to work on this and let it go.

Hope to meet some of you.

Rob.
margaret

Post by margaret »

Rob wrote:And two weeks tonight I will be in his presence.

Does anyone else get irritated by people clapping half way through the first or second line of a song? I have two weeks to work on this and let it go.

Hope to meet some of you.

Rob.

I feel the same Rob. I hope the British audiences forego the hooting and applause til the end of the songs. I don't want to miss any of the performance after waiting so long :)
Dublin 15th June, Manchester 18th June, Edinburgh 16th July
Cardiff 8th. November, Manchester 30th. November Liverpool 14th July 2009 Barcelona 21st September 2009, Las Vegas 11th December 2010
Henning

Post by Henning »

Yes it irritates me too. And it irritates Leonard, too. I remember from one of the bootlegs, that he once stopped the song and talked to the audience and suggested that they just raise a hand as soon as they recognize the song instead of hand-clapping. A Manchester meetup will be great. Do they have towels in the Manchester bars so that I can reserve my seat ?
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Rob wrote: Does anyone else get irritated by people clapping half way through the first or second line of a song?
Rob.
Rob
This subject has been a bone of contention in Dylan circles for years.
Bootleg recordings of Dylan concerts show that American and Australian audiences are by far the the worst offenders when it comes to applauding during the first few lines of every song plus generally whoopin' and hollerin' whenever the feeling takes them.
European audiences tend to show their appreciation in the more traditional way at the end of each song and are in general far more respectful to the artist.
For all our sakes let's hope that your concerns are unfounded when Leonard and his band perform in Manchester.

Ta Ken
Paula

Post by Paula »

Henning you have all the sun loungers don't push your luck :lol:

I am there on Friday with Pete and Tim are there any others there on Friday.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Henning

Post by Henning »

Paula - I am sorry that I will miss you and the others on Friday. Can't stay that long. I wish I could. Back to Germany on the 18th.

Ken - what's wrong with clapping thru a Dylan Song ?
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Paula

You will be pleased to know that the European Capital Of Culture will be represented at all 4 concerts.

We shall have to wait to see what the Mancs come up with in the way of a possible venue for meet ups.

I know if Leonard had come to the European Capital of Culture instead of Manchester I would have reserved the beautiful art deco function room at the Ship and Mitre for all four nights months ago.

Ta Ken
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

Henning wrote: A Manchester meetup will be great. Do they have towels in the Manchester bars so that I can reserve my seat ?

Yep, as a matter of fact the Brits have a tradition of towels in pubs and bars - beer towels.

Here's as good an example as any:

...though it would seem in this instance the Welsh might have beaten the Germans to it!

Thanks for that Spiegel article. It gave me a good laugh anyway. The punchline at the end is fabulous.

I hope you find a good, healthy racial mix of people on your visit to Manchester with plenty of dedicated facilities and services for German speakers ;-) I shouldn't hold your breath...

Having said that, if you were Australian there is a "Walkabout bar" at which you should feel at home just up the road from the Opera House. Not yet ventured in myself, but cork-strung hats seem more or less obligatory to gain entry.
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

I would have reserved the beautiful art deco function room at the Ship and Mitre for all four nights months ago.
I can highly recommend the decor (and staff).After a few pints of Moonshine and Wobbly Bob the ceiling looks great!!
It's not far from Lime Street and if anybody is flying into Liverpool from Ireland etc it would be a good place to divert to prior to catching the train to Manchester.
Unfortunately you never seem to bump into Cohen or Dylan fans in the afternoon or early evening!!
Last edited by daveeliver on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Paula

Post by Paula »

Henning - I will see you and yours at the O2. Looking forward to it.

In defence of that family that complained about the hotel being awash with Germans it was not the fact that they were German it was the fact that the hotel was geared up to deal with only one language. The family could not get involved in anything as they could not understand a word that was being said. I will put a towel on your chair at the O2 Henning.

Ken so we will see you on Friday then. Are you spending four days in wet and windy Manchester. Don't forget your Kagols.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Paula

When you visit the chances are that it will indeed rain in Manchester but unlike our poor Dublin comrades who will be sitting out in the rain for two and a half hours hours the Manchester Opera House has a roof on it.

I was born in Manchester and years later I asked my mother what was the reason why we had moved from Manchester to Liverpool when I was only a couple of months old and her answer was that she didn't want any of her children growing up with webbed feet.

And none of us did.

Ta Ken
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

I'm not necessarily recommending them as meet-up places, but these pubs and cafes in town would be worth a visit whilst you are visiting Manchester:

Traditional city centre pubs

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... astlefield
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... astlefield

Both of those are old-style pubs now surrounded by modern office/apartment developments in one of the focal points of the city centre landscape - next to the Bridgewater Hall (concert hall) and G-Mex Centre (former railway station now exhibition centre/concert hall) and the city's Cathedral-like town hall and round the corner from the former Hacienda nightclub site (now a residential apartment block) as well as within walking distance of the venue (if you leave at least 10 minutes before time).

There is also Mr Thomas Chop House:

http://tomsmanchester.thevictorianchophousecompany.com/

It's closer to the Opera House (I think) and also olde worlde, though nothing in Manchester that I've come across compares favourably with some of Liverpool's pub gems (the Philharmonic etc).

Those aside, it's all glitz and grime, but there's plenty of modernity to take your pick from if that's your bag.

Music related cafe

http://www.nightnday.org/

A small, well tended bar/cafe that hosts some of the finest of upcoming indie bands around with a relaxed studenty ambience and some decent food and drink on the menu. The other end of town from the venue and therefore not really suitable for meet-ups, but close to the Richard Goodall Gallery where the Leonard Cohen Art exhibition was hosted last year and opposite Manchester's finest independent record shop, Piccadilly Records (arguably the best of its type surviving in the UK)

Get postcodes and do a Googlemap for directions.
Last edited by UrPal on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

Oh, and for those that were unaware, on the Saturday after Leonard completes his Manchester four-nighter Manchester will be celebrating the life of Tony Wilson, who made one of his last public appearances at the Leonard Cohen Art exhibition opening at the Richard Goodall Gallery. Details are to be found here:

http://www.tonywilsonexperience.com/

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”