CONCERT REPORT: Charlottetown, PE (May 18)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Claw at your heart

CONCERT REPORT: Charlottetown, PE (May 18)

Post by Claw at your heart »

Leonard Cohen plays Sunday, May 18 at the Confederation Centre of the Arts in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

See location of PEI in relation to Halifax here: http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=firef ... iwloc=addr
It is notable that PEI is joined to the mainland by the 12.9 km Confederation Bridge,completed in May 1997. Otherwise, the band gear probably wouldn't have made it across the strait on the small ferries.

The Mainstage Theatre of the Centre of the Arts has 1102 seats on two levels. It is a wide theatre with no centre aisle. The aisles on the main level are located at the end of the rows.

See the introduction to Leonard here: http://www.confederationcentre.com/en/h ... cohen.aspx
Attachments
Interior of the Confederation Centre of the Arts
Interior of the Confederation Centre of the Arts
confederationcentre.jpg (12.03 KiB) Viewed 18824 times
The Confederation Centre of the Arts in Charlottetown, PEI
The Confederation Centre of the Arts in Charlottetown, PEI
Charlottetown-ConfedCenter3.JPG (16.62 KiB) Viewed 18690 times
mirka

Re: Charlottetown (May 18)

Post by mirka »

The Confederation Centre of the Arts is a short walk from the B&B I'm staying at, I took a stroll about an hour ago. The tour buses were already there, the crew was unloading their equipment. IMHO it's an amazing effort to pack/unpack that much equipment, and make it work every time !

I'm attaching a map of the Maritimes leg of the tour, without Saguenay, which is really in the middle of nowhere - it's a 7hrs drive north from the City of Quebec.
I wonder why Saguenay has been chosen as the tour stop, has it possibly any personal meaning for LC ?
Attachments
LCMaritimesTourMap.JPG
LCMaritimesTourMap.JPG (51.22 KiB) Viewed 18515 times
Last edited by mirka on Sun May 18, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
MEB

Post by MEB »

mirka wrote:The Confederation Centre of the Arts is a short walk from the B&B I'm staying at, I took a stroll about an hour ago. The tour buses were already there, the crew was unloading their equipment. IMHO it's an amazing effort to pack/unpack that much equipment, and make it work every time !
This is also the first gig of the tour where they have to load in and load out on the same day. The crew are really going to need that day off tomorrow.
Toronto June 6th 2008, Vienna Sept. 24 & 25 2008, NYC May 16th & 17th 2009, Dublin July 23rd 2009, Belfast July 26th 2009...
treyia

Post by treyia »

I saw the tour buses, too.
Has anyone seen him yet?
I'm sooo excited for the show!
I <3 Leonard this much:
http://www.myspace.com/nikkiemusic
(please note the song on there dedicated to him, in which I propose :D )
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I love your song Nikkie! Small world- I saw you on Facebook- on that thread about LC, and, er, babies, I think it was. lol Have fun at the show! I'm jealous of all seeing him on this first part of the tour!
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by treyia »

And yeah, haha I know the thread you mean.

I just went down there and spoke with a sweet lady from one of the shops across from the Confed, who met him today, shook his hand, and got an autograph, she was soo excited.
I walked around down there for a bit and saw a number of his staff-folk, but no hints of the man himself.
I think I'll pop by a bit early anyhow.
I left my CD with the song on it with some people with access to him..
You never know, hopefully he gets it :)
I <3 Leonard this much:
http://www.myspace.com/nikkiemusic
(please note the song on there dedicated to him, in which I propose :D )
mirka

Post by mirka »

Now after seeing the second concert in 3 days I think I understand the appeal of becoming Leonard Cohen groupie :lol: :D .
Fortunately my husband keeps calling me, and reminding about the real world back there in California....

The audience at the first part of today's concert seemed to be much more reserved then Friday's audience in Halifax. I felt almost disapointed, and then after a break LC showed his great command of people's emotions: he added two lovely tongue–in–cheek mini-stories about two great poets he met, which got him immediately back in touch with the audience. In fact he got tuned in so well that I hoped I would get answer to my big question: what would LC sing if the public wouldn't allow him to end the show with "I tried to leave you" ?
I didn't get the answer this time, hope the mystery will be solved though.

Another thing I discovered is that LC likes roses (?).
Anyway those I send him -- they were brought to the stage and remained there for the show. I felt almost at home every time I looked at them (I spend with them last 2 days :) ), and even more so when LC thanked me by name at the encore, it was very gracious of him.

I noticed there was a burning candle standing in front of the drums. It was too late to ask crew members about it -- as soon as the band disappeared they vigorously started to disassemble everything in sight. I appreciate if anybody finds the answer to this question at later shows, and let us know. (I thought it could be a Sabbath candle, but May 18 was Sunday).

I'm flying back home to California tomorrow, the shows were worth the trip . Will see LC in concert again June 15 in Dublin, to find out how in the world can he perform for xx thousand people, outdoors :shock: ???
Last edited by mirka on Tue May 27, 2008 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
wreathmaker54

Post by wreathmaker54 »

Just got home 20 min. ago from the Leonard Concert in Charlottetown, just plain awesome. The energy that man has, incredible, he packed the house, he walked on stage at 8pm and finished at 10:45 pm, with a 15 min. break. Had almost front seats and could almost touch him. This was a lifetime goal of mine to see him, p.s. I was to the Halifax show on Friday, just as good. Marie.
mirka

Post by mirka »

treyia wrote: I left my CD with the song on it with some people with access to him..
You never know, hopefully he gets it :)
I like your song very much, Nikkie !! any luck with your CD ?
chrispycrunch007

Post by chrispycrunch007 »

Here are some pics from the Charlottetown concert uploaded to picasa.....awesome concert!! Thanks Leonard!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/crispycrunc ... nMay182008
Last edited by chrispycrunch007 on Mon May 19, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

wow Chris
Wonderful pics-thanks for sharing them. For those of us who will not get so close, I will be able to see his face, with the memory of these great pics you have posted, as he sings.
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Yes Nikkie, what a really lovely song :) :) :) ..When I went into your myspace to listen to it, this wee thing popped up and asked that I demand to bring you to Dunedin, New Zealand to perform.....So I did...and I figure that Leonard could not refuse a proposal as sweet as that one...when you come, you'd better bring him here as well as part of the 2009 leg of his world tour eh ;-) ;-)

Seriously, Im really enjoying these tour threads...and its not at all going to put me off standing in anticipation in Lisbon to hear and see anything he decides on the day... :!:
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

chrispycrunch007 wrote:Here are some pics from the Charlottetown concert uploaded to picasa.....awesome concert!! Thanks Leonard!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/crispycrunc ... nMay182008
Those pics are wonderful. Thank you soooooo much.
mirka wrote:even more so when LC thanked me by name at the encore, it was very gracious of him.
Mirka, I love how you just slip this in casually...lol...HE THANKED YOU BY NAME AT THE ENCORE??? *dead*
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by zintman61 »

...very cool! 8)
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks for the great reports and pics... Mirka and Chris.

Did you have any special permissions for camera Chris?
Understand how wonderful that thrill was for you Mirka. Congrats.

Dick

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”