CONCERT REPORTS: Glace Bay, NS (May 20 and 21)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Claw at your heart

CONCERT REPORTS: Glace Bay, NS (May 20 and 21)

Post by Claw at your heart »

An Evening with Leonard Cohen continues in Glace Bay, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia on May 20 and 21.

See Glace Bay in relation to Halifax here: http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=firef ... 941406&z=6

The Savoy Theatre has a fitting introduction to Leonard (http://www.savoytheatre.com/events.php).

For those of you not familiar with this region, Cape Breton is home to some of Canada's most accomplished musicians and it is fitting tribute to them that Leonard and his managers are going off the beaten track to perform in this small community.

I've never been in the Savoy, but with a capacity is 761, it looks like a perfect, intimate venue. Enjoy the show, all you lucky Capers!
Attachments
The Savoy Theatre
The Savoy Theatre
pic-contact.jpg (63.78 KiB) Viewed 28567 times
The Savoy Theatre in Glace Bay, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia (interior)
The Savoy Theatre in Glace Bay, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia (interior)
pic-about.jpg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 29026 times
Watchman

Re: Two concerts in Glace Bay, Cape Breton (May 20 and 21)

Post by Watchman »

I'll be attending the first Savoy show (going to see some guy named Bob Dylan on the 21st), so I thought I'd might as well join here. Came here to check out the set lists, and it's looking damn awesome so far.
kindave

Post by kindave »

Cohen one night and Dylan the next .. I bet there are not many that will be able to claim that honour.
I wonder if they will hook up in Newfoundland next week?
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

Thanks for the photos of the venue claw at your heart. I'm coming down for the 21st.
Crisfree

Post by Crisfree »

After many kilometers by air and land I'll be 21th of May into that nice theater that you Steve showed to all us.
I can hardly wait!!!!

See you soon with all other Leonard Cohen fans!!!
Cristina
Watchman

Post by Watchman »

The Savoy is an awesome little venue. Very cozy and intimate, and there's pretty much not a bad seat in the house.
kindave

Post by kindave »

We are so pleased that Mr. Cohen and his management have decided to include Cape Breton Island on his tour. It will be two more magical nights at the beautiful Savoy Theatre.

For those coming from away, I have included a link for those that are interested in viewing the scenery of our beautiful Island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX9fdb3S0vs

All Good Things
lamoore

Post by lamoore »

sleeping tonight will be tough.
This time tomorrow night I will be home from the most beautiful theatre in town(the Savoy, Cape Breton) after an evening with Leonard Cohen.
If I can come down to earth long enough to post any details, I'll probably put them on my blog,
http://www.lamooredesigns.com/blog.php

there will likely be no pictures, video, or audio, though, as I will be in full "human" mode at the concert...sorry!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

We would appreciate if somebody can write down the setlist for the both shows!
- Tom
Watchman

Post by Watchman »

Just got back and it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Absolutely perfect, man.

Setlist is identical to the last few.

1st set:
1. Dance Me To The End Of Love
2. The Future
3. Ain't No Cure For Love
4. Bird On The Wire
5. Everybody Knows
6. In My Secret Life
7. Who By Fire
8. Anthem

2nd set:
9. Tower Of Song
10. Suzanne
11. The Gypsy's Wife
12. Boogie Street
13. Hallelujah
14. Democracy
15. I'm Your Man
16. A Thousand Kisses Deep (recital)
17. Take This Waltz

Encore #1
18. Heart With No Companion
19. So Long, Marianne
20. First We Take Manhattan

Encore #2
21. That Don't Make It Junk
22. Closing Time

Encore #3
23. I Tried to Leave You
bruinsy19

Post by bruinsy19 »

Just got back from the show.Leonard certainly delivered the goods.An outstanding show.For me personally watching him perform during the first song[Dance Me To the End Of Love] was rather unsettlling as I couldn't believe I was actually looking at Leonard Cohen in the flesh. I counted 6 standing ovations.I think what struck me most about Leonard was how humble he was.He kept waving for us to sit down when we were applauding him,he didn't need the adulation.His voice sounded very strong and he sang with passion and intensity.Physically he is a rather small man ,I didn't realize how short he was but judging from the reaction of many of the women at the show he is still a very good looking man.Well done Leonard!It was worth every penny.
marklisa

Post by marklisa »

Musical statesmen....that's how I describe Mr. Cohen. My wife and I attended the concert at the Savoy last night. With front row seats we enjoyed that passionate and intense smooth silky deep voice of Mr. Cohen that fans have adored for many more years that we have been alive. He and his fantastic musical entourage kept us entertained for over three hours. We just want to say we were totally impressed and will share this memory of 'an evening with Leonard Cohen' for many years to come. Thank you and we wish you every success for the remainder of your tour. Well done!!
ROSHI

Post by ROSHI »

In a small theatre, in a small town, one of the biggest stars appears. I had to convince myself that I had not died and gone to heaven. Three angels sung backup vocals and Leonard Cohen appeared before me. A band that played perfectly and complimented the poetry of the living legend. The sound levels perfect, the stage set in a foggy mist with an array of lights that complemented the music. I love how he introduced each song with a few lines and how he interacted with the crowd. This night will not be forgotten.

1st Night. Front Row.
chadcaper

Post by chadcaper »

mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

THANK YOU chadcaper!!

He has a heavenly glow around him, especially his head and shoulders in the larger shot. (I know it's just great lighting but still...)
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”