Pre-O2 meet-up in London - response to David's competition

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
A.Sukitu

Re: Pre-O2 meet-up in London - response to David's competition

Post by A.Sukitu »

Davido (and mega thanks to Jarkko) -
thanks ... how magic is this! I have been inspired by damellon ...
and now - on to the competition ... - is the prize worth it? - the meet-up will be.
A.Sukitu
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
damellon

Post by damellon »

Annie - can I guess?
Sanquhar, Ullaport, Kilmarnock, Inverness, Troon and Uddingston? Are you a librarian, a nurse or just a rambler? :D
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

hi, damellon -
if "Bird on the Wire" was written seeing a bird on the wire, then my new name is
Annie from Scotland, U.K., In This Universe ..... tho' I know Ullapool, Kilmarnock, Inverness (very well!) and Troon ...
and am still in exile ... (A.sie was not so appealling).
How do you see David's competition?
a.
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
yossarianslive

Post by yossarianslive »

Hi All,

I'd love to meet up before the O2 concert. Drinks sound lovely, esp. since I will be coming from the States. As to David's 'competition' - - could anyone explain more? Am I missing something?

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Jonathan
Hylton

Post by Hylton »

Sounds great = but where are we meeting?
Padma

Post by Padma »

Venue hasn't been decided yet. David, Harry (my husband) and I will take a look next weekend and see if we can find somewhere close to the O2. The details will be finalised soon and we will post them on the forum. Shall I add your name to the list?
John J

Post by John J »

How about Blackheath? Only a short distance away lots of bars/Restaurants etc.
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Hi,
Unfortunately I'm not going to the London meet up and not the o2 concert (too big a venue and not enough pennies) but if you're thinking of meeting somewhere in Blackheath a fellow Liverpool member of the forum ( no prizes for guessing who)and I searched Blackheath after The Tiger Lily concert (on the Sunday after the Book of Longing and Green Note cafe events) and fortunately stumbled across the Zero Degree bar and micro brewery
http://www.zerodegrees.co.uk/index.php
and can strongly recommend the beers, food and bar staff. It was good and if you choose there I'd be tempted to come for the company and the beer!
Be careful of the times of the last train or be prepared for an adventure on the night buses of London
All the best
Dave
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Padma

Post by Padma »

Thank you both for your suggestions. We're all meeting up tomorrow to check out venues - we may very well check out the Blackheath pub. How do you get from Blackheath to Greenwich? I'm not familiar with that part of London....
John J

Post by John J »

The 108 bus goes from Blackheath to North Greenwich Station, takes abt 10-15 mins
LastRose

Re: Pre-O2 meet-up in London

Post by LastRose »

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... Tower_Hill

I've been there twice. It was more pleasant on a sunny Sunday afternoon than terribly noisy Friday evening, full of office workers...anyhow, just a suggestion.
John J

Post by John J »

Blackheath would be perfect,great views over the Heath ,The Crown has a good outside area, good beer and good food,Zero degrees another good pub,also the Princess of Wales and the Hare & Billet are both good pubs in great positions,perfect location for an afternoon or ,early evening meet up,and all within 15 mins of the venue.
Padma

Post by Padma »

Thanks for all your suggestions. David and I will be posting a schedule for the day very soon. We went to Greenwich on Saturday and are talking to a couple of possible venues at the moment. The problem is the numbers - at the moment we are looking at about 50+ people and this may rise further by another 10-20 nearer the concert. It's going to be very difficult to get a pub to reserve seating for so many people - so we are looking at the possiblity of hiring a function room in a pub or a restaurant.

The day will start early with a walking tour of London (stopping off at a few famous sights!) and ending up in Greenwich - either at a pub or restaurant (people who can't or don't want to join in the day's activities can just come along in the late afternoon). We can then get the boat to the O2...

We will post the details soon!
Padma and David (Birkett)
jasmina

Post by jasmina »

o.k. Padma, we wait details ;-)
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

Hey, Padma -
have you read David Bkackman's comments on the other 02 thread? He advises arriving early at the 02 as it takes ages to get in.
will there be a meeting up at the 02 before we enter for the concert? (ie for those who don't want to stroll round London/eat etc.) ... Maybe for a drink or something?
looking forward and dusting my lightest telescope.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”