Benicassim update

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

Benicassim update

Post by jarkko »

The organizers of the Benicassim festival have kept Leonard in the schedule on their website (http://www.fiberfib.com/) while AEG removed this concert from the list on their site, just like I did, at tour management's request.

I emailed the tour management asking for update on Benicassim.

We are informed that tour planning is always dynamic. It takes time to organize this kind of an international tour. There can be unexpected logistic problems etc. that need to be settled, if possible, and the schedule may change.

As far as Benicassim is concerned, there is nothing to say at the moment, other than Leonard has not approved the date as yet. We will have more information when and if it becomes available.

Probably it will be best that Benicassim ticket holders do not do anything now but remain waiting for more information.
textatemp

Re: Benicassim update

Post by textatemp »

This is an unbelievable statement.

To say that LC has not approved this date is an insult to his many fans all over the world and the festival organizers at FIB.

The LC date at Benicassim has been widely advertised on the Internet since January. Any festival organizer advertising an act that has not been contractually agreed would be open to substantial legal action and I'm 100% sure FIB would not have put themselves in that position.

FIB have a 100% track record and have delivered every act they have advertised since the festival began.

I hear it from a very reliable source in the music ticket industry that LC is cancelling the FIB date to add another London O2 arena date to his tour, as this is financially more beneficial to him.

As much as this could be perceived to be speculation, only time will tell if LC honours his contractual obligations with FIB to play Benicassim.

To say he LC has not agreed the original date is a pure insult to his fans and everyone at FIB associated with booking him.
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Textatem,

The suggestion that Leonard is personally making decisions to prioritize concerts that will bring in the big bucks seems a little at odds with his acceptance of such small venues as the Maritime provinces in Canada --Given his
loss of his savings, and his very public non-reaction to the same, I find it a little hard to credit your very good source, regarding this one instance of failing to please his fans for purely financial gain. I choose to maintain my faith in Leonard's integrity and I think most of his fans would also.
mirka

Post by mirka »

I wouldn't disregard Textatem source, Theresa, time will show.
The whole situation so far with presales for fans canceled at the last moments (The Maritimes), concerts canceled after tickets had been sold (Benicassim, Berlin), shows the tour management works in a chaotic manner, to put it mildly.
There is no contradiction between seeking 'big bucks' and Maritimes venues, first concerts are more like a dress rehearsal for the big tour.
"Public non-reaction" to loss of savings can be well explained by small chance of enforcing US court order that declared the previous management guilty of embezzlement.

Jarkko is very nice to the management trying to cover up their mistakes and lack of decent communication by changing his own past postings , I'm afraid it adds to the confusion though.

Sorry but all this chaos doesn't look good, who knows what else can happen....
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I wonder how canceling Benicassim would help in making room for another London concert:
July 16 Edinburgh
July 17 London 02
July 19 Lisbon
[July 20 Benicassim]
July 22 Nice

If Benicassim would be replaced by another London 02 concert, they had to travel first from London to Lisbon,
then from Lisbon back to London, and then again South to Nice. July 18 would be much more logical date for
another 02 concert! (As far as we know now, July 17 is the only one).
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

textatemp wrote:This is an unbelievable statement.
I hear it from a very reliable source in the music ticket industry that LC is cancelling the FIB date to add another London O2 arena date to his tour, as this is financially more beneficial to him.
Your source better be very reliable,textatemp, particularly as to personal motivation, cos that statement sounds like libel if you're wrong.

Coincidentally, I have heard from a past attendee that Benicassim can be an uncomfortable experience which detracts from enjoyment of the exceptional line-up it usually attracts.

There are all sorts of reasons for deciding whether or not to play a particular event - or attend one for that matter.

I'm reading the present uncertainty as down to juggling between the probable present wish to cancel (or, more accurately, not confirm what must have been a provisional date) against now disappointing the many fans who understandably placed their bets on an event which publicity-wise "jumped the gun" and in a big way.
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

UrPal wrote:Coincidentally, I have heard from a past attendee that Benicassim can be an uncomfortable experience which detracts from enjoyment of the exceptional line-up it usually attracts.
Yes, here some members showed our absolutely opposite to the Benicàssim concert. We consider it as an unworthy place (better not adapted place) for the Cohen's presence. (Maybe someone heard us, it can seem pretentious, but thanks for the cancellation, anyway.) And I am saying this against my personal interests.

I can't understand the relation of this cancellation with London 02 concert.

The organization of a tour like this has to be something terribly complex, the good halls are taken with a great anticipation and to make a schedule with suitable stages and with a bearable tracking is not easy.

On the other hand we remain distressed day after day looking for any new in this site wanting for the chance to find an opportunity to see Leonard, maybe for last time. We will never be able to be grateful to enjoy a place as this one where we write, where we receive the best and honest information and where we can hold in contact.

I believe that the organizers of the tour do the best.

Another thing is FIB, the Cohen's name remains in the top of the program. They must remove it immediately. To hold it is a trick. They are selling the tickets for four, three or one day, not for a concert.
textatemp

Post by textatemp »

I'm just passing on what I've heard.

It's not a statement of fact, just a conversation with someone with someone who works in the industry.

I go on to say that it could just be speculation and only time will tell.

I can't see the logistics working for a second O2 date as it's too tight to squeeze in. It doesn't look possible, unless they shuffle the tour.

What is important though is that the matter is cleared up very quickly, as people have booked time off work, organized flights and festival tickets, in the knowledge that they will be seeing LC, probably for the very last time.
textatemp

Post by textatemp »

I must also add that on 8 April 2008, Jarkko listed the following: -

I have now 100 % confirmation from the tour management that Leonard's concert at the Benicassim Festival is definitely cancelled.

Cancelled infers that the date was originally booked.

However, in his latest post he states:-

As far as Benicassim is concerned, there is nothing to say at the moment, other than Leonard has not approved the date as yet
textatemp

Post by textatemp »

jarkko wrote:I wonder how canceling Benicassim would help in making room for another London concert:
July 16 Edinburgh
July 17 London 02
July 19 Lisbon
[July 20 Benicassim]
July 22 Nice

If Benicassim would be replaced by another London 02 concert, they had to travel first from London to Lisbon,
then from Lisbon back to London, and then again South to Nice. July 18 would be much more logical date for
another 02 concert! (As far as we know now, July 17 is the only one).
I suppose a second date at the O2 is possible on the 18th, if they move Lisbon to the 20th.
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

As you know "someone with someone who works in the industry", you would be so nice of saying to him that they must remove the name of Leonard Cohen, just to prevent the tickets selling using his name. I think that the organisers of Benicàsim are not acting honestly. We must notice it here and wherever.

Anyway I do not understand your interest to generate speculations on the possible changes of program of a tour in construction. Benicàsim has never been a suitable site.
textatemp

Post by textatemp »

I don't understand what you mean by Benicassim not being a suitable site for LC.

Benicassim is a wonderful quaint part of the world with a lovely unspoilt beach and surrounding area.

The festival itself covers all of the arts from music, film, art and fashion.

I sense an element of snobbery to your post, in that LC is some kind of god like creature who should only play certain select venues.

LC should be privileged to play Benicassim and the matter should be sorted out at the very earliest convenience.
pironi

Post by pironi »

"Benicassim is a wonderful quaint part of the world with a lovely unspoilt beach and surrounding area.
The festival itself covers all of the arts from music, film, art and fashion."

Textatemp, You don't happen to be an employee of the Benicasim Festival?
I was there once and that was enough. Luckily we have Leonard here in Italy both in Roma and Lucca!
P.
textatemp

Post by textatemp »

pironi wrote:"Benicassim is a wonderful quaint part of the world with a lovely unspoilt beach and surrounding area.
The festival itself covers all of the arts from music, film, art and fashion."

Textatemp, You don't happen to be an employee of the Benicasim Festival?
I was there once and that was enough. Luckily we have Leonard here in Italy both in Roma and Lucca!
P.
Of course I am not an employee of the Bennicasim Festival. I am however a fan of the festival itself and the enjoyment it brings to some 40,000 to 50,000 people each year.

I just don't understand how two people who think that LC should not play FIB because of it's suitability can make such a judgement.

It is the opinion of two people and although you are entitled to voice your views, your comment about Benicassim is very narrow minded and unsupported.

There are many people who have bought tickets and flights for this festival to see LC (irrespective of your narrow minded views on the suitability of the venue) and I think that the LC tour management should clear up this matter as soon as possible.

Jarkko has made two very contradictory statements on this website and I think the fans who have paid money for flights and tickets are entitled to some clarity on this matter.

I also think that as Pironi and ForYourSmile have no real interest in the concert at FIB, should refrain from making negative comments in this thread and go post elsewhere on the forum.
Henning

Post by Henning »

I'd prefer contraversive discussions to plain loyalty, also I can't deal with suggestions of going elsewhere on the forum. Critisicm is more of a fruitful contribution to help clear things up. This festival draws about 40.000 people and they must find an attraction there, others prefer to avoid huge crowds. There's no wrong or right in both preferations. Also there must have been some fatal misunderstandings in the LC concert deals or someone had changed the mind or whatever. I don't think that the Spanish or German organizers would announce or even start tickets sales based on a rumor. And Jarkko is in the middle of all this as a communicator trying to make it right for all of us. He is not in a position of making decisions, he just forwards the information he gets. Let's hope that the concerts who are on the list now will go well to the satisfation of all those who get to see the shows and also for Leonard, who wants us to have a good time.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”