WOE AARGH

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Rachel

WOE AARGH

Post by Rachel » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:49 pm

I totally had no idea about the tour until last Friday after I logged onto the net after work. Gosh how tremendously exciting, I thought, and had a look at ticketmaster which, perplexingly had nothing left. So I came back to this forum (after four years!) and slowly worked out why there was nothing left.

In a blind trigger happy panic I started looking at sites, finally opted for summerfestivaltickets and paid a third of my monthly salary for a ticket for Manchester on Thursday night which is - yes - the Guardian readers only night. (All of this info has been filtering into my brain quite slowly, as I have been catching up and reading the history of tour tickets on the board). Now, I'm pretty much certain that I have been idiotic and duped and will not get a ticket for the Thursday gig. Not too stung by the money thing since it was a credit card booking and there are fortunately Laws about Such Things but the thought of not seeing Leonard is just unbloodybearable. Never have, never thought I would, often sit listening to bootlegs and thinking wishfully. I've had thoughts of taking a wad of cash on the night and buying from a tout, but that idea really is quite stupid since it's not at all a safe place. I've had other, far less legal and nefarious thoughts but I'll keep them in my own head.

I'm going to try the Manchester Guardian thing and otherwise I am seriously considering attempting to get one for Istanbul as I've been there before, know it a bit, know where to stay for cheap etc. It all seems terribly reckless but then, I stopped smoking on NYE last year and the money not spent on fags really ought to go on something happy-making (not smoking still makes me feel quite self-pitying and deprived). The sobering thought is that my scholarship runs out in a few months and as yet, I have no job for after that.

My question is, is anyone else (potentially) quite this mad?
captrenault

Re: WOE AARGH

Post by captrenault » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:55 pm

Yes.

Oh my, yes.
Toronto, June 17/93; Toronto, May 13/06; Toronto, June 1/07; Hamilton, June 3/08; Montreal June 23/08; Montreal June 24/08; Hamilton, May 19/09, London, Dec. 11/12, Hamilton, Apr. 9/13; Irving Layton's 85th birthday party.
Rachel

Post by Rachel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:15 am

Isn't it REALLY SCARY to be this mad though? I feel as though I should have my credit card taken away.
Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:46 am

It does sound a bit mad, but understandable in the circs. If you can still find cash from somewhere why don't you go to Dublin, rather than trekking all the way to Istanbul? As I understand it, and looking at the UK Ticketmaster site, there is still a concert there (Friday 13th June) for which tickets haven't gone on sale yet - seems the sale will start at 9am on Weds. 26th March. Being in Manchester that's what I'd go for if I was you.
Rachel

Post by Rachel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:23 am

Heh. Yes, that does sound like a much more sensible idea, thank you! Will give it a go, and it would be cool since I've never been to Ireland before. Have had total branepanic since I scuppered my chances in Manchester (I can Walk to that blooming venue, damnit!)
yhtrownu

Post by yhtrownu » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:22 am

Rachel, if you have been defrauded, that's awful. As Leonard says, "Everybody knows" the world is like this. . . :(

If you want to try again, I think ebay are the best of the touts because you can look at the record of all the individual sellers and make a sound judgement. If somebody has sold 200 tickets, and one hundred percent of people offering feedback (each seller has a feedback record of every transaction they have done) say they got their tickets, that's a good sign that this tout is buying and selling legit tickets. I would do this (and have before, when caught in your annoying situation) rather than take a wad of cash somewhere. Good luck.
Manchester, June 18 2008
Manchester, June 19 2008
London O2, July 17 2008
London O2, November 14 2008
Royal Albert Hall, November 17 2008
Mercedes Benz World, Weybridge, July 11 2009
secretchord

Post by secretchord » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:26 am

don't forget he's playing the Big Chill as well, I daresay you can still get tickets for that
...that David played and it pleased the Lord...

http://www.myspace.com/morrinmusic
Rachel

Post by Rachel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:49 am

Everybody knows, indeed. I ought to have known better. I just couldn't believe that anything so expensive could be fraudulent! I have never bought anything from ebay but I'll definitely bear it in mind now - although it seems things are not so bleak as I had supposed, because of the Dublin possibility, and now the Big Chill.
gingermop

Post by gingermop » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:32 am

Rachel wrote:Isn't it REALLY SCARY to be this mad though? I feel as though I should have my credit card taken away.
Rachel,

If you got duped via a credit card payment, it's likely you can claim that back.....

G
Rachel

Post by Rachel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:38 am

Yes - I found that out from another forum when frantically googling summerfestivaltickets.com to find out if they had a rep - and they really do! They've said they mightn't deliver the ticket until the day of the concert though, so I've a long wait to find out.
roubiliac

Post by roubiliac » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:32 pm

My Manchester tickets arrived this morning so I reckon everyone will get theirs within a week so what's with the day of the concert line. I reckon you are being scammed.
gingermop

Post by gingermop » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:34 pm

Rachel wrote:Yes - I found that out from another forum when frantically googling summerfestivaltickets.com to find out if they had a rep - and they really do! They've said they mightn't deliver the ticket until the day of the concert though, so I've a long wait to find out.
Rachel,

Please read: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?p=9311197

Summerfestivaltickets.com is a typical tout operation where they charge large amounts upfront for tickets that they don't have. They obviously don't have them for the Thursday as this is a Guardian offer and they are not on general sale. These kinds of sites are usually run by one or two dodgy people and their mobile phones, and they can knock up pretty convincing websites. They take your money first, then hope that they land a ticket, which they then give to you on the day. If they fail to get a ticket, they still keep you waiting until the day of the concert, by which time it's impossible for you to get a ticket from any other route. Some of the (worst) examples on what these sites do is cloning your card and flogging it to criminals on top of that.

I urge you to cancel your credit card, report the transaction, get the money back, and contact me about Manchester.

Gina
Rachel

Post by Rachel » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:25 pm

Hey Gina, thanks for the tip and link - makes quite alarming reading. I've been talking to my credit card company and it seems that the transaction has gone through, unfortunately. The only thing I am able to do about it at the moment is cancel my credit card, as the services dealing with fraud are now shut until Tuesday. I will be reporting this company to the OFT, in the hope that something can be done about them!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:27 am

Oh, Rachel... I so hope you can get your money back! Thanks for helping her with a plan, Gina!

I hope you can manage to get a Manchester ticket, Rachel. I want to hear your reactions to seeing Leonard in person. I hope Gina is wanting you to contact her because she can help out in some way!

Great to see you here, Rachel... it's been a long time. I didn't realize it's been 4 years, though!!!

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Rachel

Post by Rachel » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:06 am

Hi Lizzy

The person from my bank seemed optimistic, though as it wasn't his area of expertise he probably has no clue and just wanted to cheer me up! I'll post about the outcome on Tuesday. I hate the idea of this happening to anyone else. At least the penny eventually clicked for me! (Would you believe that the same website is STILL offering tickets to all of the concerts?)

I have been away ages. It's lovely to come back here and be able to mention Leonard Cohen without any eye rolls.

Rx

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”