Lisbon 19 July tickets?

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
st theresa

Re: Lisbon 19 July - on sale NOW March 26

Post by st theresa »

I sussed out the pub and the tram to Alges today. It was easy and fun. I wonder how busy that will be tomorrow. If it is cool I will be relieved--has been warm enough for the Canadian visitor. Also went to the pastry shop in Belem and could not find a seat--busy place. Had a great lunch next door at a little restaurant.
magdasto

Post by magdasto »

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it... oups, not a Cohen's song, sorry :lol:
Wow, I'm out and beyond myself. The D-day is arriving. I've been dreaming about this day for years, like so many of you... Just in case I won't make it to the Hennessy's (which seems more and more probable taking into the consideration Flavia's fever). I guess we will have to leave when she takes her nap, so that she wouldn't start crying and the fever wouldn't go up, which means getting to Lisbon at 6 pm..., registering at the hotel, a shower...
Anyhow, me is magda, very short dark blond haired, 30 yrs old Polish, 1,60m high, wearing jeans, violet T-shirt and a small red backpack. Should anyone see me trying desperately to reach the lines close to the stage: HELP!!!
Love to you all, I´ll do my best to make to the Lisbon asap and see you at the Hennessy's. It is somehow very important to me to share my enthusiasm with you, cohenites. When are you planning to leave for the venue?
See you tomorrow, love, magda
Beyond the myths and the masks the soul remains alone...
catswhiskers

Post by catswhiskers »

TODAY IS THE DAY!!! I've only waited 15 years.I woke this morning,with a smile on my face--I feel as if its Christmas time when I was a little girl--waiting in anticipation.
We will be leaving quite shortly,after all the animals have been fed and watered--its going to be a long day for them as well.
I just want to wish EVERYONE that will be alongside us,the greatest concert ever.I shall be the short,slim female with blond curly hair--with a permanent grin on my face--and if you see me from the back,I have a tatoo of a tabby cat on my right shoulder-----Love and happiness to you all. Ps--if i haven't a grin on my face its because I shall be crying very softly to myself--Leonard always makes me feel so emotional.XXX
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Hey Guys!!!...finally she surfaces!!...finally flew through Heathrow at 5am yesterday...as we flew closer to <lisbon it got lighter and happier!...lovely place eh..though yesterday was not a good one for me after 60 hours of not seeing a bed I was not quite with it!..but dropped into bed at 5pm and slept 11 or 12 hours...so much for the <Lisbon nightlife eh....Beautiful spot though..above Alges with Tagus in front..and around the back where my room is I look back over bush and the city...and did manage to wake up long enough to take a beautiful photo of the sun going down!.....AAAH BLISS

Now Bluebird, this morning I was up early splashing around in the pool and this wonderfull little bird came swooping down for a drink...and shot back up again....and it was Blue!!!...was that you???...then it came back with its family. We dont have them in NZ arent they lovely.

St Theresa I was in the pastry shop yesterday afternoon as well!...it was crowded wasnt it!...

I have a request now, and I know that Luis and family will already be on their way. I have met this nice Romanian woman here in the hotel this morning who is here on business. I would like to buy her a ticket and bring her along later. Does anyone (Perhaps from Lisbon)know how that might be possible today???...A friend helped me get the Blackberry working yesterday afternoon so I would appreciate it if you might email me on my hotmail address if anyone is reading...could we perhaps go down to >Alges early and buy one???...
(oh thats raewynne35@hotmail.com) Vivamus I did email you last night but guess you would have gone....see you all later if I dont hear from someone before that with a possible solution..
On with the sunshiny day eh! :) :)
blue_bird

Post by blue_bird »

NewZealander wrote:
Now Bluebird, this morning I was up early splashing around in the pool and this wonderfull little bird came swooping down for a drink...and shot back up again....and it was Blue!!!...was that you???...
Hello NZ...welcome to Lisbon...no, not me! I'm at home listening "Songs of Love and Hate" in autorepeat...tonight during the encores if you earing someone asking louder for Famous Blue Raincoat...that's me!! :D
Coliseu dos Recreios Lisboa 1988, Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008, Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009, Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 (Meet Cohen at a cafe on the main Lisbon's avenue on the concert's eve), Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Aah well I have this cd called that along with me too...I had my ipod playing <Leonard Cohen on the plane with these wonderful noise reducing Bose headphones that a friend lent me, and with those block out the eyes things it was almost a religious experience at times!!..I was totally transported , somewhere between <Earth and Heaven, especially on The Guests and Halleluja!!...that was the first ten hour trip....I had room to move...On the second I dropped my ipod as I got on behind my seat, and we were so cramped..the Australians behind me were not so keen to look for it..and I struggled for many hours with no leg room and nothing to transport me elsewhere...but never mind Im here now....its so lovely and hot, my face is so red as I walk around outside, from 10 degrees to about 30ish I THINK I have this sunny glow already and have not even had one drink....I heard the tickets were all sold from someone around here ...so perhaps I can not buy this ticket for the other woman here ...I am thoroughly enjoying wandering around the corner food shop by the hotel in discussion with the owner about the similarities and differences in foods. SOME LOVELY SUMMER FRUIT I have figs,nectarines and of course a kiwi!!...I hope to see you later then...will we all know who we are??....Just need to walk around the bar asking questions I guess....(and I am the one with the fair hair,red face, and silly grin like Ive escaped from somewhere for a while!!...
8) 8) Bye
nickw

Post by nickw »

What a gig! Leonard seemed full of energy, running and skipping onto and off the stage. Everything was perfect, from the temperature - about 23 deg with a breeze, to the full moon directly in front of Leonard, to the sound and of course the music itself. Thank you.

If anyone here has a better memory and knowledge of Leonard´s songs than I do, could they post a track list? There were a few I didn't know. Also, would be great to find out how t compared to other shows on this tour if anyone was at Alges and elsewhere.

One last point - the Portuguese being relatively short people meant I had the best view ever for a large open-air all-standing venue. Perfect!
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

What can I say...Leonard Cohen and his music evokes so many emotions in me I am still feeling very ...? perhaps overwhelmed by the experience...Sorry Nick I dont have the setlist in order either, its just all still going around in my head. I laughed, I cried, I felt sad, happy, danced a jig with Luis sister to "closing time"! :roll: You are right, the overwhelming feeling from Leonards perspective is that he was so enjoying all of this. Getting all those many emotions across to us from his heart, and then yes..skipping off the stage with happiness. So with the full moon on our backs and the Master of Song in front it was the most memorable night of my life for some time!....Highlights for me were "Halleluja," "If it be your will"..a version slightly different with Leonard first speaking then the Webb sisters singing..fine by me they are his songs, and it was so silent as the sisters sang to the moon in perfect harmony. Oh all songs were just so wonderful>..lets not keep describing "as many have before".....I must say though it was wonderful to meet everybody finally after all our chat, Luis and his wonderful extended family, St Theresa, Vivamus, MFL, Boirina and all of their families and partners. I think too that they have all left Lisbon now back to other places.... :cry: Whats that old song "let me down gently"..Im staying for a few more days before moving on North later in the week.....The Portuguese people have opened their arms and hearts to me, those who are reading this I thank you for that and your laughter at my attempts at your language, and my strange kiwi accent ..(as I apparently roll it around in my mouth too long) ;-) ;-) Now I am going to immerse myself in the culture of the city, visit the bookshops, the squares, the monuments, the art and continue my discovery of the great Portuguese poets, music, food, History....thank you all so much....

It was a very wonderful venue beside to Tagus, in the moonlight ..just perfect.... :)
catswhiskers

Post by catswhiskers »

UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL
-------------------------------
I could almost have touched him!!

Well,words cannot describe my feelings.This was the most incredible experience of my life. We were lucky enough to "run" that distance,after they opened the gates.Though we are old and it virtually killed me---but we got to the VERY FRONT-yes,leaning over the yellow railings.Right in front of the WEBB Sisters.I could see Leonard so well,almost touch him--I could see the twinkle in his eyes--every facial detail.Believe me,he was enjoying the experience just as we were. He was incredible--and was like a little "imp" running on and off the stage.
I shall NEVER forget this night--it was pure magic--and to be So close to him--I would never have imagined that in my wildest dreams. Forget about O2 and venues like that,Leonard deserved the smaller venue,and personal venue that Lisbon offered.He played a professional and truly outstanding performance--I feel so humbled.
Miracles Do happen.
margaret

Post by margaret »

catswhiskers wrote:UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL
-------------------------------
He was incredible--and was like a little "imp" running on and off the stage.
I love that description "a little imp" :lol:
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Just an added comment--wonderful to meet Vivamus and family, New Zealander Boirina, and MFL et al.. Sorry I got dragged away,--Vivamus I am sure I owe you a bottle of vino verde, next time we meet. Not sure I can find the words to describe the evening --the warmth of the site by the Tejo and the people who attended was amazing. And Leonard!! and the Band!!! Surpassing all expectations and playing till midnight. I never stopped dancing to the music New Zealander lol. I am in Ciudad REal this morning and to night will Be in AVILA! An unexpected surprise---St Theresa of Avila LOL.
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Oh Hi St Theresa, there was such a "mad scatter" to the train as well, when we all realised that in fact it was after 8. :idea: .when we got there the train had just left and there was not another till almost 9pm...such good planning eh!.. :roll: :roll: >So we all ran and took cabs in groups, and unfortunately also lost the others...Elena and I were with Luis family group...not sure what happened to Vivamus.....so we as a group were quite near the back. Although it was great, it suddenly occurred to me that I had travelled 12000 miles to see this ..and in fact I was going to get as close to the front as possible..so I quietly wandered through the crowd, and it was quite easy to find enough gaps to get beside the front barrier and to the (river) side. So cat whiskers I agree, it was wonderful to see those "impish" expressions on his face as he skipped around the stage...and the look when he saw the moon too...but I think that was probably quite evident further back as well..Near the end I thought it impolite of me to be so far away from the others and that was when I went back to them, ..Aah well....Im still buzzing from it all....though after a wander around Cascias yesterday afternoon Im just so pleased I am still here for a while...! And Leonard...by now he will be skipping around...the rest of Europe..I must go and read about it on the other thread.. :)
catswhiskers

Post by catswhiskers »

Margaret
Glad you liked my "little imp"!!!! I shall never forget that night--I am still up their inthe clouds,singing my heart out to his music.
Also I have taken some really incredible photos of him--which I intend to print out and frame--the best rememberance of such a wonderful night.--and didn't we all sing so "sweetly" to So long marianne---Oh joy!!
magdasto

Post by magdasto »

I am so horribly sorry not to make it to meet you. We arrived late, first make a detour to see the venue to reasure (me) that we will be able to get there on time, without getting lost on he way. Checked in at the hotel, had a quick shower, at the reception desk they told us we'd better eat sth before as we were standing pretty good chances of getting nth to eat afterwards. So, Jose decided to head for Alges and eat somewhere there, which we did, and then I panicked as it was already 8 pm and the gates were opened so we rushed to the venue.
In fact it was 7 pm but we hadn't changed the hour. Anyhow, there was a pretty long queue already so we waited and waited and then run, run, run and yes, got a place just in front of the stage, third row, in the middle, in front of the MAN.
And the concert, wow, I was crying all the time, singing to all the songs, for which I would like to apologize all the people around me. I would like to thank as well a girl on my right, should she happen to read this, wearing white shirt with possibly red flowers for giving me a hug in a crucial moment when Leonard sang "Take this waltz". I was literally out and beyond myself, all tears but happy. Very happy.
With the exception for the "Partisan" and "The Captain" Mr. Cohen sang all of my favourite songs, I just couldn't believe it when I was writing down my own set list. And I felt at least once that he looked at ME, which is maybe not that weird taking into the consideration the fact that I was the only one crying ALL the time in the proximity.
Oh, and my brother-in-law sent me a message just in the interval saying that Flavia's strange fever had been gone. Wonderful evening...
Should any of you would like to receive via e-mail fotos from the concert I can send some of them. Out of 40 I made there are maybe 10 on which Leonard is pretty much recognizable (is it English or Spanglish?).
Kisses to all of you, love, magda
Beyond the myths and the masks the soul remains alone...
nickw

Post by nickw »

I've now uploaded some short videos from Alges to youtube and I can see there are already others there from the same gig. The quality isn't brilliant but they bring back happy memories.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”