Lisbon 19 July tickets?

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Vivamus

Re: Lisbon 19 July - on sale NOW March 26

Post by Vivamus »

Hi again, catswhiskers!

We're also driving up, and my partner is trying to convince me to drive directly home after the concert as well (I have to be back down to Faro airport for 9am the next morning), so I was thinking about parking options...

The area marked with an 'E' on this sat pic of the area is where they'll set up the stage:

http://tinyurl.com/6msk8e

There seems to be quite a few parking spaces there, but I don't know how much access we'll have to them, or if they'll be buses and equipment or whatever set up on them, but if you look all along the adjacent Avenida Brasilia, there seems to be a lot of street parking as well (it's all street parking in front of those palm trees leading up to the roundabout, for example). I'm fairly confident we should find a spot there, failing that, further into Alges.

Hope that helps. Will we be seeing you at the Irish bar pre-gig at all (once you divest yourself of the car, it's just a short cab ride down the shore- By the way, I have no financial interest in the Lisbon cab network, I'm just always so pleasantly surprised at how affordable they are in comparison to the Algarve!)?
LuNo

Post by LuNo »

Hello,
I called the guys at the Hennessy's to advise them about our meet up there next 19th at tea time. Normally there'll be no capacity problem (both floors will be open).
I also confirmed that they can serve food before dinner time for whomever is interested - besides Irish/English breakfast, they can serve typical Portuguese snacks like "Bitoque" (steak+egg+chips), toasts and so on. I reckon that Vivamus & husband will not forgive their past bad experience, but I hope that this time it comes out to be much better.
Normally I'll settle in the hotel at lunch time (or a bit afterwards) and after a short rest I'll head to the Hennessy's with family and friends (by train, normally).
Please do not forget your tickets at home (especially you, NewZealander :)).
Hope to meet you all there for an unforgettable evening.
Cheers,
Luis
Luis

It's easy: All you need is Love [John Lennon]
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Oh Hi Luis,
Nice to hear from you, Im sitting here in the early hours of the morning looking at this huge pile of work I have promised to get finished in the next few days. I was feeling very lost and alone with the enormity of it all until I came here and found you friendly folk again. :) Thanks Luis for calling Henessys now thats done... 8) 8) Yes the ticket, I found it in the weekend and put it in my travel wallet...along with my passport. Last time I was travelling overseas (to Australia) the neighbour was dropping me at the airport...as he was about to drive off he said flippantly "got your passport?"...my jaw dropped almost to the street!...oh no... :roll: :roll: .what followed was a mad dash the 30kmx 2 home and back again, various phone calls from the airport administrators (checking on my progress) and my colleagues patiently waiting for me to return as we were all going to conference... One friend waited for me to arrive before he boarded....that was very nice but phew!!!......So yes Luis, I have my ticket in...as well as my passport.... 8) 8) :lol: ...
See you all ...next week!!!
;-)
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

oh and....Yesterday I won the national lottery over here!!! :) :) Well almost, it feels like a did. I had been fluffing around with my travel insurance, as my credit card has free travel insurance if you use it to buy your tickets, so I paid my money in there and did that...but when I looked into the fine print there were a few little fish hooks that were not quite as good as the couple of hundred dollars policy through my travel agent....So last week I decided for peace of mind I would take the Flight Centre Insurance, at the time I remember her now telling me that I was going in the draw for a ( whole of New Zealand) weekly prize, and never thought any more of it..as we hear these stories so many times don't we.... :roll:

Well yesterday she called me to say that I had won ..$1000 worth of travel or their products!!...(Thats about $500 euro) :) :) :) I was so excited, I do feel like I have won the national lottery...especially as Ive added a few extras to my trip that have taken the cost up a bit....uuurrgg...

So anyway I thought I would come here and say righto I will shout a round of drinks, for the 12 to 15 of us that have chatted on here...but have decided perhaps to be careful ...in case 50 people turn up!...goodbye 500 euro???.. :?: :?:

Anyway cheers everyone..its just great I will have a little extra for Lisbon treats now .... :)
boirina

Post by boirina »

Wow!
This is great. Good for you! :)
* Palma 1988 * Lisboa 2008 * Lisboa 2009 *
* Palma 2009 * Lisboa 2010 * Lisboa 2012 *
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Yes but telling the world wide web that you will buy them a drink is pretty stupid too dont you think?? :roll: :roll: :)
I will just have to learn to "curb my enthusiasm" wont I...but yes you are right Boirina, I went out and bought the last of my travel things today feeling quite relaxed about money.....HEy so what's the story..I was thinking about you are you bringing along both your husband and the old friend.....seeing you met your dearly beloved on the internet..they could both come along and sing LC songs in unison ..one in each ear..??? ;-) ;-) Just kidding....but I hope its all moving forward for you..... 8)
catswhiskers

Post by catswhiskers »

Hi Vivamus

Thankyou so much for all the info you supplied re parking etc--have now worked out our route there.Hopefully we will have time to pop into the Irish bar---if only to say "hi" to you guys--am So looking forward to this evening.
A guy I know,friend,saw him at glastonbury--and hes no fan--said he looked like 90 yrs old--and all he sang about was death!!! Theres no point in trying to "convert" some people is there?? Obviously some real youngster into that crap "music" they produce these days! Boy,I am really showing my age now!!

Love

Catswhiskers xxx
Vivamus

Post by Vivamus »

Hi again everyone,

I was just having a look at the Optimus Alive! Festival website, as it's on at the moment and it's roughly the same site our gig'll be on (there won't be all the outbuilding's etc., but it gives the best idea so far where the stage will be, and what our "paddock' enclosure might look like):

http://www.optimusalive.com ------> then choose 'Planta do Recinto' from under the 'INFORMACOES' tab.

And catswhiskers...I know what you mean with regards to the misconceptions people have about LC's music, especially in the UK for some reason; that whole 'music to slit your wrists' moniker really stuck, I think. Annoyingly, I was just in London and mentioned the upcoming concert to some friends of ours who are, as the French would say, 'd'un certain age' and they were very dismissive as well, immediately trotting out the old cliches. THEN they dragged us back to theirs for horrible bubble-gum pop, diva-falsetto-highnotes karoake, which it would appear is meant to be preferable or at least 'more musical' or whatever. Oh, well. De gustibus non est disputandum, I guess.

See everyone soon (hopefully)!
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Morning Vivamus, I had just that same conversation last night out at a birthday dinner...so the "falacy" has spread wider than Britain..and You'll find that none of those people have even listened to his music for perhaps 30 or 40 years either....I now have a "stock" answer which is ..."Well, is Dance me to the End of Love about slitting wrists???"...Husband wheeled past my door the other day and said, ooh whats that nice music....to which I replied..."Your famous wrist slitter"....But I must say around here the majority of people, even the young ones are culturally aware.Word gets around a wee village (even a larger city) and the thing most people are saying to me these days , with shining eyes is ..ooh you lucky thing, I heard you were going to Leonard Cohen! ....So those who are not in tune...well no use even trying to let them in on the secret of it all eh...(More room for us up the front by the stage!?)....I had a similar private conversation with Boirina last evening about her husbands lack of enthusiasm on Leonard..(and I apologise for my flippant comments too!) Methinks those who are not keen to go are better left at home, then we can all enjoy.!... :)
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Thanks for making me appreciate my 17 year old more than ever. Whenever I play a cover of Leonard's music, he rolls his eyes at me :roll: and says "Mom no can sing Leonard's songs except Leonard". As a reward, he received tickets to the Edmonton event for his grade 12 grad present, which I unfortunately will miss. (er the event not his grad...) He made me promise to bring him home all the tour souvenirs I could get my hands on--He deserves it don't you think? :lol: OMg--we leave for Portugal a week from today!! The excitement is building ---New Zealander--Congrats on your lottery win--another sign that this is meant to be!
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Yes St Theresa....it was good!.and yes, several people have said, this was meant to be, several little pots of money have fallen in my lap last few months...I have to go in there today to confirm that I can take it "in spending money"...as it was for "travel"..never mind if I have to leave a credit there and Leonard does venture south.....well!!...theres my ticket and a bit more to Australia eh!...still lots of work on, but the suitcase is in the corner with a few clothes being put in as a beginning trial run of trying to "travel sparsely",,but still have enough clothes to look decent when needed...
You know (Luis) my head has been so far into Europe that I had forgotten that this is a big..(well huge!) rugby weekend for our town. The allblacks have been here all week practicing and the springboks arrived yesterday...the big tri-nations test is on at Carisbrook tomorrow night!...I opted not to go, but this afternoon I have appointments in the city and then I will just wander around a bit to enjoy the "buzz" I think....and Ive also just realised that part of the 50,000 extra people includes tonights entertainment which is a very good New Zealand band called "The Feelers", they are playing in the town centre (The Octagon)..in an outdoor space attached to a bar....hmmm..I might just have to get a ticket to that.....And yes its the middle of winter, but I have an overcoat and scarf, its beautiful in there in the evenings all the trees in the eight sided square have fairy lights on them...they breed us tough down here!...(You will have to come to that Edinburgh of the South Vivamus!).It will be a good show, and go some way towards appeasing myself for being so stupid as to miss Neil Young tonight in Lisbon!!??....So Bluebird you will be going to that, I saw on another thread....have a lovely time ..and we will repeat the summer atmosphere next weekend!...Now I must work.. :) Bye all
blue_bird

Post by blue_bird »

NewZealander wrote:... and go some way towards appeasing myself for being so stupid as to miss Neil Young tonight in Lisbon!!??....So Bluebird you will be going to that, I saw on another thread....have a lovely time ..and we will repeat the summer atmosphere next weekend!...Now I must work.. :) Bye all
Hello New Zealander! Yeap...tomorrow (July 12) I will see for the first time one of my rock'n'roll heros...Neil Young live in concert, but i'm a little bit sad cause he didn't play "Like a Hurricane" yet in the first leg of this summer tour, last concert is in Lisbon...so maybe with some lucky... :roll: will see...

Tonight I'm going to see another great songwriter live here in Lisbon, Mr. Will Oldhan aka Bonnie "Prince" Billy plays at Galeria Zé dos Bois in Bairro Alto... 8)
Coliseu dos Recreios Lisboa 1988, Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008, Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009, Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 (Meet Cohen at a cafe on the main Lisbon's avenue on the concert's eve), Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012
MFL

Post by MFL »

Hello Everyone,
I've been away for a few days, house sitting for a friend just home and thought I'd check up and how plans were going, Well done New Z on your win, I think I need that drink now for having read your post I thought I'd get my passport out, after doing so I see it's out of date.. I'm just waiting until 2 to find out how to get a new one in 7 days. I can't belive I hadn't checked sooner, I've been very busy this past few weeks... :( I'm sure all will be well. A long sit in Dublin should do, I hope.

Chat soon, time to make calls.
Marcie
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Oh No!!..can you get it done in a week??.. :roll: ..I hope so...definitely you will need a drink at the end of all that!...Well I went to my (practice concert, The Feelers) last night..standing up for4 hours..so yes I will survive in Lisbon, but I think that in fact what initially happened to us was what Luis termed..moshing??...got the times wrong and were an hour early so had a good spot in the main tent not too close to the front, but out the side by a barrier....fine for a start, but as the younger people kept piling on in and walking past closer to the front we were getting pushed up harder and harder against the barrier, then a few people dropped their stemmed wine glasses which broke underfoot...the music was good but thank goodness I had my warm ;leather boots on as we tried to clear it all away with our feet to the side of the barrier....hmmm....getting old??...So that was the start of the "rugby weekend", though a very festive atmosphere, a beautiful mild day got to 17 in the daytime and was still about 12 at night!..after the sub zero temperatures of the previous week a lovely little surprise!..In the second half we moved back further from the front, they played some of their good older work, and a couple of really good Rolling Stones covers...so yes it was good..I guess by now it will be Bonny Prince Billy in Lisbon.....HE has some good music too...aaah where would we be without song??....
Anyway as the band over here took a huge 45 minute break! I said to my companions...well they don't have the stamina of the older more professional entertainers like Leonard Cohen....A three hour performance with only a 15 minute break is the norm for him!.....
On with Saturday ....
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

hi gang!

We North americans don't really do tea, so will someone kindly inform as to when the meetup actually will happen?
Is tea time 3, 4, 5 6? It now appears some fellow conference attenders with hubby would like to join in the fun--well maybe 2-4 extras. I have been asked for particulars and since hubby and his colleagues are statisticians, I feel that I have to provide exact times. I would have shown up around 5 if it was left up to my lack adaisacal thinking. Well how about a probable time then? ;-)

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”