8 new cities in The Maritimes

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
JasonblueEyes

Re: 8 new cities in The Maritimes with pre-booking!

Post by JasonblueEyes » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi,

I'm a new member but a true Cohen fan for 13 years now. I never thought I'd get the oppertunity to see him live but I get to see him in St. John's on May 26!!! I can't believe it. This is more than amazing. I've been praying for years that he'll perform in St. John's. It's finally happening.

My birthday is May 28th and this is an incredible birthday gift, i must say.
Bela

Post by Bela » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:11 am

Maybe I should move to a small town somewhere: we who live in London will be the worst off in the world, having to suffer in the 20,000-seat O2 Arena. Small venues are so much better for his kind of music. :-(
London O2 Arena 17 July (with binoculars)
London RAH 17 November (without binoculars)
shakedown

Post by shakedown » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:22 am

Hello,

I must admit that I am also a longtime fan who just joined this board - I often read the great information on this wonderful site. Then again I have never been one who says much on message boards but I have to speak up here with some information you might want to know relating to the Ontario, Canada dates. If anything I am stating below has already been mentioned here (if it has I did have not found it) - I apologize for the duplication

1. There is a third show in Toronto at the Sony Centre that goes on sale tomorrow (Saturday March 15th at 11 am). The show is the Sunday night, June 8th and there are no pre-sales it appears.

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/100040 ... norcatid=1

2. I have been told by the venue that there will be no fan-club pre-sale now for the Centre In The Square in Kitchener, ON show on June 2nd.

3. There is now a show at Hamilton Place, Hamilton, ON, on June 3rd - pre-sale and on sale info are posted here. The prices are the lowest so far for Ontario $79.50 - $85.50 CDN.

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/100040 ... norcatid=1

In all honesty - I think the southern Ontario market is now being over saturated with Leonard shows - Toronto (3 shows), Kitchener and Hamilton are all within 150 KM of each other. I work in the live music industry and 5 shows within such a radius in this region where I live is unusual for an artist like Leonard (with all due respect). The variation in pricing is also strange but I know that the Kitchener and Hamilton markets could never deal with the pricing that Toronto has.

This all said - it is great for the fans as there will be more tickets available once the dust settles and people can see Leonard closer to home. If there were only the Toronto shows then folks from Toronto and within a 200 km radius or more would be going to the Toronto shows and they would all likely sell out - but now we have 2000 plus seats In Kitchener plus over 3000 in Hamilton Place to add to the 10,000 some odd seats total for the three nights in Toronto. I think the scalpers will take a bath on this - there will be lots of tickets around.

Best,

S
cgts

Post by cgts » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:26 am

I may ave to come from the UK to Canada to see Leonard as the venues in London hold thousands of people and will not be sympathique. And who knows which European cities will be good? Which Maritime places would be easiest to travel to assuming i can get cheap flights to Toronto or Montreal?
Remigius

Post by Remigius » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:27 pm

Yeeehaaa !!!!! I just want everybody to know that I've got the tickets for the Amsterdam venue ! I am a true LC fan
since 1985, the year I met my wife, she was a Leonard Cohen-fan at that time. My love for her and Leonard's music/poetry
will never fade, I can't wait to hear his new album but at this moment I am veeeeery happy to see him live in Amsterdam !!!

I hope everyone who wants to visit the concerts gets the tickets they want, I will send positive energy to all of you !!!

Love and light to all of you ! :D

Remi

[quote][/quote]
true love leaves no traces
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:42 pm

To cgts who asked about which Canadian cities might be best and easiest to visit - I've lived my whole life in the Maritimes so here goes.

With regards to geographical separation, ticket price, hotel and travel costs and intimacy of venues, without a doubt, the most efficient and economical route on the tour is the 5 shows in Fredericton (May 11), Halifax (2 shows May 12&13), Charlottetown (May 18) and Moncton (May 23). Fredericton to Halifax (4.5 hours drive), Halifax to Charlottetown (about 4 hours), Charlottetown to Moncton (2.5 hours). Hotel costs - 4-5 star in the downtown areas $130-180, small independent hotels within a 15 minute drive of theatre ~$100. If you don't want to rent a car there is daily city to city bus transportation.

Newfoundland is lovely but air travel will cost you over $400 to get there from any of the other cities. Glace Bay is about a 4-5 hour drive but going there would get you another concert and minimize downtime.

I haven't checked but you may be able to fly into Moncton from the UK.

The only fly in the ointment is the down time, the 14th-17th and 19th-22nd meaning 8 days of hotel and meal expenses with no concerts. But if you have the quid to make it a holiday I know you will love this friendly quaint region with lots of music, pubs, coastline and attractions.

From the tour's perspective I wondered about that much down time too. Expenses and no income. I suspect they will continue to rehearse and expand the repetoire.
Crisfree

Post by Crisfree » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:51 pm

Steve Wilcox wrote:To cgts who asked about which Canadian cities might be best and easiest to visit - I've lived my whole life in the Maritimes so here goes.

With regards to geographical separation, ticket price, hotel and travel costs and intimacy of venues, without a doubt, the most efficient and economical route on the tour is the 5 shows in Fredericton (May 11), Halifax (2 shows May 12&13), Charlottetown (May 18) and Moncton (May 23). Fredericton to Halifax (4.5 hours drive), Halifax to Charlottetown (about 4 hours), Charlottetown to Moncton (2.5 hours). Hotel costs - 4-5 star in the downtown areas $130-180, small independent hotels within a 15 minute drive of theatre ~$100. If you don't want to rent a car there is daily city to city bus transportation.

Newfoundland is lovely but air travel will cost you over $400 to get there from any of the other cities. Glace Bay is about a 4-5 hour drive but going there would get you another concert and minimize downtime.
Many thanks for your news. I'm coming too aux Maritimes - from Italy - and I'd be glad to know :
are there public tranport as train or bus to travel from a town to another?
how can I presale my tickets as Fredericton, Halifax, Charlottetown have only telephone numbers?
Answer me soon, please!!! I've to choose where to go!!!
Cristina from Italy
Last edited by Tim on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
libraryref

Post by libraryref » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:06 pm

As I said in an earlier post, St John's is probably the best city to visit of those on the Atlantic Canadian tour. Especially if you like live music in a pub-style atmosphere. You can't beat George St. for that. But St. John's is isolated from the other cities. You'd have to fly or make a very long car and ferry trip.

Halifax may be the easiest place to get to from Europe. And, once there, you can drive to many of the other locations. Train transportation in Canada is not nearly as convenient nor as widespread as in Europe. All passenger service to Fredericton, for example, stopped years ago.

Fredericton is the prettiest, quietest, and most charming of the Atlantic cities. There is a marathon on the Saturday before the concert that is a great run. Shorter distances, too.

Charlottetown is on lovely Prince Edward Island. I'll be at a flyball tournament the day of the LC concert. If you love dogs and noise, it's something to see.

Moncton has a large French population in the region. But I find the city mostly without charm. Very central, though.

Glace Bay is a long car trip from most other places. Great scenery on Cape Breton Island. A vibrant music culture.
Last edited by libraryref on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fredericton (May 11, 2008); Toronto (June 6, 2008); Louisville (March 30, 2013)
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:36 pm

FOR Cristina from Italy

There is bus transportation between all those cities (for Glace Bay use Sydney). The local bus company website is

http://www.smtbus.com

There is no train worth mentioning. As someone has stated, St John's, Newfoundland is by air or 6+ hour ferry trip to the island and then still 4-5 hours of driving to St. John's. (NOTE TO THOSE FROM FAR AND AWAY - DO NOT CONFUSE St. John's Newfoundland with Saint John New Brunswick)

Christina - I don't believe pre-sale is only by telephone. Jarkko has posted all the theatre website links for these venues.
Pre-sale should be over the Internet. Note - It appears some from outside North America had problems with pre-sale in Montreal due to formatting of addresses or telephone numbers.

If you come to Fredericton I will help you arrange your travels plans to the other cities. Keep in touch.
bigdee

Post by bigdee » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:52 pm

I would guess the 8 days down time between shows really doesn't exist. Those days in the tour schedule are probably just blank for right now. I'm sure a few concerts will be announced at some point that will fill some of the gaps. Most likely they'll be extra nights added at some of the already mentioned venues after they first night sell out. Aside from travelling time and an occasional night off, most tours don't have a whole lot of down time as it still costs big bucks to keep the tour out on the road whether they play or not. So if they are going to pay for the lodging and meals of all those involved with setting up the show they might as well schedule in a show for as many of the nights as possible to make a profit and to offset the costs. Otherwise the tour would wind up in the hole real quick!
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
upsofloating

Post by upsofloating » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm

Man, I'm going to be crushed if I can't get tickets...I'm not even telling a SOUL about this pre-pre-order, hoping to get my tickets, and let the other big fans get theirs, before the random people who are just going because it's Cohen. I hope this pre-order thing doesn't spread to far... I suspect the majority of people who'll be clamoring for tickets wouldn't even be able to name a handful of his songs and are just going because it's an important event. I suppose that's the way with these things.

How many pre-order tickets his sale on Tuesday?
"Dear child, I only did to you what the sparrow
did to you; I am old when it is fashionable to be
young; I cry when it is fashionable to laugh."

---Charles Bukowski
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:11 pm

Bigdee,

I agree with what you say about the expense of downtime. Regarding your guess that the vacant dates will be filled with other performances - well - let's run with that - 'cause we'd all be up for that! Unfortunately (or maybe luckily), the Maritimes is like the end of the world. It's a radial trip. Once you venture out here it can't pay to leave and return again. So, your guess about extra shows at the same venues makes the most sense and could only be unbelievable news on top of already unbelievable news. Even though most of these cities are small, the venues are really small 750-1000 seats. Fredericton, a capital city, has 2 universities, Moncton 2 universities and a large college, PEI, a capital city, also a university and Halifax, a capital city, 4-5 universities and 2 or more colleges. So selling out these venues will happen even without an influx.

I like the way you think. This is the best news to hit the Maritimes since . . . . . hmmm . . . . actually, this is the best news to hit the Maritimes.
Skookscott

Post by Skookscott » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi Jarkko
Is there any consideration being given to Western Canada venues? We have a choice of good facilities here in Victoria and LOTS of devoted fans who would make the trek to Vancouver Island worthwhile.
Fingers crossed!
Skookscott
upsofloating

Post by upsofloating » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:42 pm

Look at this bs: http://cgi.ebay.ca/LEONARD-COHEN-TICKET ... dZViewItem

Someone should shut this guy down.
"Dear child, I only did to you what the sparrow
did to you; I am old when it is fashionable to be
young; I cry when it is fashionable to laugh."

---Charles Bukowski
Izzy

Post by Izzy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:43 pm

I just called the Mile one box office here in St. John's and they said the only pre-order tickets are going to session ticket holders:( I'm hoping that the majority of Fog Devil fans are not leonard fans too. I am still going to check on here to get the password and try on tuesday to get tickets. I must get tickets!!!!

Izzy

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”