Ticket Allocation

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
kokenpere

Re: Ticket Allocation

Post by kokenpere »

Verite has hit the nail on the head. The LC Files and Anjani's Forum are the only sites with active participation by Leonard and Anjani. Both Jarkko and Marie M. deserve our thanks and admiration for the job(s) well done.

If ticket allocation ends up being done in whatever method Jarkko or Leonard sees as being fair - amen to that.

I hope all of us can see Leonard in person.

michael
Cavan

Post by Cavan »

I am 22 years old and have been listening to Leonard for 10 years. I live in Montreal and have been reading this board off and on for the last 4 or 5 years (I think). I hope that I get a chance at advance tickets just like anybody else here. I understand some have made many contributions to this community over the years but seeing that Cohen tickets are very likely to "sell out" rather quickly. I only hope that people such as myself who took the time to join this message board are given the same shot for tickets as those who have been logging in regularly these past years. That may sound selfish but the thought of getting tickets in Montreal just seems like one big uphill battle. Cheers.
mogwai

Post by mogwai »

@Lizzytysh

I suppose your right about the old-timers getting seats together in one block. I didn't read the whole thing properly and thought it was just one of those pre-sale things that people were getting precious about.

Its more like the arrangement at British footy matches where the pitch is surrounded by people in wheelchairs rather than 'We liked him first!' pettiness.

I hope you all get comfy seats. Don't forget your blankets! (Joke)

I hope I can get tickets myself, or else :twisted:
ayling

Post by ayling »

Have just joined - trying to find way round website and don't even know the DATES of the tour in Britain let alone how to get a chance to get tickets - HELP!
captrenault

Post by captrenault »

When Jarkko made the initial announcement, he said that members would be given access to the advance purchases. "Members" was not qualified in any way -- not by length of membership, not by numbers of posts, simply "members".

Later, he confirmed that approach, stating that "...tickets will be sold using "first come first served" principle, and there will be no selecting of any kind."

I would have thought the pronouncement fairly clear.

I understand the motivation to exclude new members like myself, to better your own chance at getting a ticket. I can't honestly say that I wouldn't do the same, was I in your position.

For all the talk about scalpers -- and speaking for myself -- don't worry. Should I be so lucky as to get a ticket, I have no intention of reselling it whatsoever. Indeed, my Leonard obsession isn't a vehicle for profit -- quite the contrary.

As for preventing people from getting together or sitting together; no-one's stopping anyone from socializing. I would have thought that sitting together wouldn't be all that important, given that one's attention would be fully focused on the stage, but perhaps I'm different in that regard.

As for the cries about how this site is changing because of the new members, and how a certain vibe is lost, I would suggest two things: first, that that is the experience of all internet forums of whatever kind at some point or other, and second, that the bump is only temporary, that once tickets have been obtained, a great many of the newbies will take off and leave the site more or less as it was before the influx.

We all want tickets. We all have needs. That's fine. Please let's be up-front about it, and not veil it as something else.
Toronto, June 17/93; Toronto, May 13/06; Toronto, June 1/07; Hamilton, June 3/08; Montreal June 23/08; Montreal June 24/08; Hamilton, May 19/09, London, Dec. 11/12, Hamilton, Apr. 9/13; Irving Layton's 85th birthday party.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

. . . that once tickets have been obtained, a great many of the newbies will take off and leave the site more or less as it was before the influx.
Yes, Capt. Renault, we're very aware of this.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
vern.silver

Post by vern.silver »

I have been a fan of Leonard Cohen for more than 35 years, and only a member of this forum since 2002. I am not a prolific poster here but do regularly check out the forum to try to keep up to date in regards to what is happening in the “Leonard Cohen World.”

It was through this forum and the Files that I found out and attended the Hydra LC event, and subsequently the New York event. I missed out on the Berlin event. I am still not sure yet whether I will attend Edmonton. It was also because of this forum that I became aware of the Leonard Cohen/ Philip Glass project, which I was able to attend in Toronto. We have been hearing for sometime about Leonard touring again though I expected it would be in conjunction with a new album release (I recall Bob Metzger telling some of us at the New York event – Joe remember? – that Leonard was considering an intimate tour of small Canadian venues.) But as with all things Leonard, it takes a long time for them to come to fruition.

Excluding the fan events, I likely would have found out about other Leonard Cohen events at some point. But they were announced here first. This forum is my number one Leonard Cohen source. Has this upcoming tour even been mentioned in other media sources? And if, like me, you live in a small Canadian town where the local paper is joke you would probably hear about it only after the fact, or too late to do anything about it.
Thank god for the Internet, and particularly this forum.

I have several close friends that have been fans of Leonard Cohen for at least as long as I have. None have chosen to join this forum although I have shared the link with them. I also pass on important info such as this ticket announcement and encouraged them to join. As far as I know, none has. However, if they have and both manage to get tickets and I don’t? Sure, I’ll be disappointed but hey, that’s life!

This issue brings to mind the recent fracas here in Canada regarding the Current Elton John tour where city councillors in Sudbury, Ontario were given the opportunity to buy tickets before the general public. Many of them bought several tickets, some more than 10. Those who stood outside the venue in sub-zero weather waiting for a chance to buy tickets were infuriated. Few got tickets – they sold out online in less than 45 minutes. My wife (who is as much an Elton fan as I am a Leonard fan) and I were shut out. I then read in our local paper about three women (family members) who had found out about, and joined an Elton John fan club through which they were able to get VIP status and were able to get tickets before they were available to the general public. They, however, had to pay for that privilege as the fan club charges for membership that include first shot at tour tickets.

I have managed to see Leonard in concert 4 times in the time I have been a fan. In Winnipeg, 1985, Toronto in 1988, Toronto and Thunder Bay in 1993. In that last concert in Thunder Bay I managed to get backstage after the concert and had the opportunity to spend about ten minutes talking to him. I am going to do everything I can to attend at least one concert on this upcoming tour. More if I can. If unsuccessful, I will not begrudge those who are – especially those who have never had the opportunity to see him live. Just because I am a member of this forum does not mean I have some special right to HIM. I am certainly grateful for the opportunity Leonard has given us. We should all be.

As humans we always seem to be able to turn even the sweetest things sour.

Vern
"Clarence said a striking thing about rowing that I've always valued ... that he liked rowing because you were approaching life backward. You could clearly see the past, and you glanced quickly at the future over your shoulder.' Jim Harrison.
dharma

Post by dharma »

Paula wrote:the problem is we have been literally swamped by psuedo fans... this sudden influx is very overpowering.
Hmmm... What's a "psuedo" fan?

I can only speak for myself, but I honestly don't see any "problem" or feel "swamped" or find the influx of new members "overpowering".

I absolutely love the electric buzz that's circulating round this forum at the moment.

We're all comrades here, each a conscript drafted into Lenny's legion of fans, and each wanting to salute our field commander in person.

That's all. :D
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
Horia

Post by Horia »

I really don't get this.
If being a true fan is having the most posts here then i've been living in the dark until now and i don't really want to open the curtains.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Ha ha! Well, having the biggest number of posts here isn't exactly ideal either, is it, P? (where the hell is that devilish smile when you need it?!) The truth is, again, that no matter how things are done, it's not possible to please everyone.
What I do wonder is if the forum server is going to survive the attack on March 11... And the ticket frenzy must be contagious, I feel the terrible urge to start posting gibberish, too.
Laura
damellon

Post by damellon »

Succumb Laura, succumb. Join the gibberers! :D
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
medicinejar

Post by medicinejar »

I would like some others have said. Hurray to Jarkko and Leonard for thinking of people on here and trying to do something for the fans. I think this is no easy task and will not complain in anyway, if I happen to not be lucky enough to get a ticket through here. Hope I do but I that this is not an easy thing for them to coordinate. Thanks for the board, the site and all your efforts.

Cheers
woolton

Post by woolton »

Hi Phil
I'm hoping that wherever Len appears we can get tickets........
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

This all is becoming really funny. I think that Cohen-fans can go an buy the ticket if there's Leonard Cohen concert in their town. And if Leonard Cohen Forum member can't buy the ticket as there's too many people buying, who could be more happier than Leonard and me, Leonard Cohen fan, because there's more Leonard Cohen fans than we presumed (well, we do hope they're buying the CDs also, aren't we? 8) and that LC is getting payed for his work) This idea about pre-sales for LC Fans, that wasn't so good idea after all.
shpod23

Post by shpod23 »

Guess I'd have to add myself to the list of long time obsessive fans (30 years for me), who've been dropping into this site for a few years without feeling a need to register, and would do (almost) anything for a chance to see LC live...went to the Dublin 'evening with' show in 2006 - which was ace - but nothing could compare with the real thing

Of course, if I had got round to registering a couple of years ago (actually, maybe I did, and then forgot the logins?!), then I'd probably be arguing for no newcomers, to increase my chances!

Rum chap, johnny passion....

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”