Ticket Allocation

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jimbo

Re: Ticket Allocation

Post by jimbo »

Anticapation
of ticket allocation
anticapation
love is not forgotten......
willcarter

Post by willcarter »

Paula wrote:Hi Verite you do sound like a genuine fan the problem is we have been literally swamped by psuedo fans after tickets and genuine fans it is very hard to tell the difference apart from the fact that people like you give a little background and have not just registered never posted or posted once and then pissed off. This site has been around about 6 years and this sudden influx is very overpowering.

If it is ticket touts who get the tickets I will be spitting feathers
Paula, I understand your frustration, believe me, but please don't assume that people who have registered on the forum recently (like me) are necessarily touts.

I'm 50 years old, and have been a Cohen fan since I was at school. He was the reason I learnt to play the guitar back in the early 70s. I still listen to his music now, especially on my iPod, which is a source of some amusement to the other members of my running club.

I have visited the site several times in the forlorn hope that I may find news of a tour. Then, just recently, I heard that LC had been booked at Glastonbury, and was planning a tour. I would absolutely love to get hold of 2 tickets for my wife and I. I have never felt a particular need to join a Leonard Cohen Club, or to post messages about my favourite songs. I prefer to listen to the music. This is why you haven't heard from me previously. If I'm honest. I don't have a lot to discuss about Cohen. Why would anyone be interested in knowing my favourite song (Famous Blue Raincoat)?

Incidentally, does this explain why I've been unable to join the mailing list? Every time I try, I'm told that I've not completed all the fields, when I have. Very annoying.

Anyway, I've never managed to see Leonard live, and desperately hope that I can do so this time around. I really hope that this site may help me to achieve this ambition. I'm a totally genuine fan.

Will
Paula

Post by Paula »

Hi Will - thanks for quoting me in context.

I threw a wobbly the other day because people were quoting selective words not only of mine but others and it really was frustrating I was getting more and more annoyed about people twisting what we were saying.

I have met a good few of the forum members and they are not mean minded or spiteful this is not “the only gay in the village” scenario, It is a case of logging on one day and it is normal membership and logging on the next and not knowing anyone that was there. For me that influx was overpowering. I am over my huff now.

It was not about the tickets per se it was about “strangers” coming on the forum and making wild assumptions about people they know nothing about. We really are a community here and I consider a lot of the people on this forum friends. It is just the status quo has been changed but once the tour is announced and the tickets have been sold then things will be less fraught and hopefully from the mass immigration some will stay afterwards and contribute to the forum.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Will ~

You couldn't possibly sound any more real or genuine than you do. I was hoping to return home to some normal conversation here. Glad I did.

Welcome to the Forum... and, as Paula has already said, I hope you and some of the others will linger longer and outright stay.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
phillip

Post by phillip »

Like me I have been a fan 20 years and even though I may not of posted on here every day I have been coming on here and reading the posts etc... I have got all Leonards albums, books etc... saw him in the 1993 concert in London UK and am really looking forward to this tour I will definateley be there if I can get a ticket!

phillip
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

So many Cohenites at last! :)

Good luck to everyone, with a greek song:

Concert

Spare me a cigarette
and I’ll queue up for a ticket,
next to the couples,
the eighteen-year-old ones.
Isn’t that strange?
I still enjoy it
as much as I used to long ago.

It’s sold-out.
Where shall we sit?
Shall we go for the front or the back seats?
As long as I am with you,
everything is cheerful;
a recruiting of kids.
I want to tell you
how much I love you;
please, hold me in your arms
throughout the concert.

When I was young, I used to wake up
in Greece, Europe, America;
I glorified whatever I cherished,
as long as you were there
Songs, stadiums and bands
-sweet heart, sweet love of mine-
robbed us of all our money,
but we are left with rock attitude.

I used to gaze at your profile,
saying “he is still smiling today,
deceiving the wild ones
who are here to turn the tamed ones away.”
I want to tell you:
“I love you – I love you
and I owe you a big one,
because all you ask from me
is love”

Sophia
willcarter

Post by willcarter »

Thank you Lizzie and Paula. I understand where you're coming from, and I hope I didn't sound like I was bleating.

I guess there is a mild sense of fear of missing out on the tickets, but I think another reason for the recent extra traffic on the forum is simply that LC is back in the news again after so many years. I was telling a work colleague about the upcoming tour, and she was surprised that Cohen was still alive! Then a couple of days later she said that she had felt curious enough to dig out an old Cohen LP and that her teenage son had instantly fallen in love with it! So an item in the news can spark off a whole chain of events that remind people of LC, and even create new fans. There is every possibility that people like her son have felt moved to explore the web for info, and have joined the forum.

Let's face it, the real issue here is ticket-touting, or scalping. If that problem didn't exist people would feel a whole lot happier. It's extremely frustrating to see genuine fans having to pay way over the odds to some shady middleman who is, essentially, a thief. Unfortunately it's not regarded as theft by the authorities but merely the natural workings of the market.

Anyway, like many others, I'll be hoping to pick up a couple of tickets for one of the shows but if I miss out, it's not the end of the world. Life will go on.... :)
martineden

Post by martineden »

Will, couldn't have said it all better. Thanks
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You didn't sound bleating at all, Will. You're right on what the core issue is... hopefully, the numbers [and 5 new pages] speak for themselves as to Leonard's true fan base. Welcome to you, too, Martineden :D .

This has got to be very gratifying for Leonard [NOT the discord :shock: ], seeing how many have joined this site, upon hearing the great, totally-unexpected news. March 11, itself, after the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame ceremony on March 10, made see a whole NEW surge of members :D and scrambling for tickets :) . If there are enough tickets, as Jarkko's postings suggest, between all the countries and venues and tickets available, there may be no problem at all. It's not as though the whole world is going to converge on every venue. Optimism never hurt anyone ;-) .

For anyone feeling stressed by any of this, I highly recommend listening to Anjani's album "The Sacred Names" ~ I'm listening to it right now. It's very calming and a reminder of how we need to be regarding each other.

~ Lizzy :D
~ Oscar Wilde
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

I am another person that loves Leonard's works... I have all his albums on my mp3 and he is my numero uno friend on myspace...(even if it is a tribute page)
I have not posted on much here as I don't think I am great at writing and prefer communicate in person but I am a real fan. I love Leonards take on the world and they way he doesnt take it or himself toooooooo serious like a lot of his fans seem to do.
I hope they do not allocate the pre sale tickets according to how many posts posted or how long on the Forum... Just let the tickets float out there and if we were meant to get one, we will get one. Lots of people here have seen Leonard live, I have never, and this may be my only chance to, so I hope I get the ticket.... it will feel like finding the Golden Ticket in a Wonka Bar!
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Oh... just want to say Congratulations Leonard on your induction to the Hall of Fame... Well deserved.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Tinderella ~

Jarkko has been really specific about the pre-sale tickets being first-come, first-served, for all Forum & File members receiving a password to use in trying to obtain them. With there being so many venues and tickets, hopefully most everyone will manage to get one for somewhere. I don't know if that means the Europeans will be trying for the Canadian concerts. Since they're not supposed to be transferable [I don't know how that works, other than with box office events I've attended], I hope that people won't try for tickets to shows they can't possibly attend. Time will tell. We can hope for the best and pray that it comes.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
phillip

Post by phillip »

dont panic will be able to get tickets from whatever concert halls he performs at!
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Hi Lizzy , thank you for your reply. Yeah i see what you mean about people going crazy and buying tickets for whereever..... 'Tis a funny old world at times.
I just want a ticket for a seat for a show in Dublin where I live, if Leonard is coming here.. In fact, even if I only get one ticket, I will be quite happy to attend the performance alone, and just get into it completely.
We all seem a little nervous and stir crazy here the closer it gets to the official announcement and presale... lets hope the system doesn't crash :) . Wonder if Leonard is reading all these posts and smiling to himself? If he issssssssss, Hi Leonard.... love you lots.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I hope you're able to get a ticket, Tinderella. It's a given that I'll be going alone, and that is more than fine with me, too. I prefer a smaller venue [one of the Canada tickets], but as I said before, if a Festival is okay with Leonard, then a Festival is okay with me. All I care is that I be able to see him. Later for preferences!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”