LEONARD'S TOUR BAND

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Suemerlyn

Re: LEONARD'S TOUR BAND

Post by Suemerlyn »

jarkko wrote:Roscoe Beck - bass & vocal (Musical Director)
Neil Larsen - keyboard, accordion, brass instruments
Bob Metzger - guitar, steel guitar & vocal
Javier Mas - acous. guitar, oud & misc string instruments
Christine Wu - violin, viola, cello & keyboard
Rafael Gayol - drums & percussion
Dino Soldo - keyboard, saxophone, wind instruments &vocal
What an amazing lineup! I know all of their work except Rafeal Gayol and Dino Soldo ( at least I think I don't know these two) - thank you, Jarkko for this info!! Now I am even MORE determined to get tickets, maybe even travel to Ireland...small problem for me is that it's my big 6 0 birthday on June 16th and my sons are doing a big bash surprise party on 14th for me - so I hope Leonard's only UK appearance won't be June 14th, oh no...!
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

Fantastic news. Roscoe Beck's playing on the 1979 live album is flawless and, if he was also the musical director for that tour, then - well, I look forward to the same laid-back flowing feeling. Robert Metzger - well, we know his work from Cohen Live and the Austin City Limits performances - all good there. The other resumes are very impressive. I look forward to Rafael on drums - his influences imply he might add a different energy to the mix. Christine Wu's video is just plain wild -"Dance Me To The End Of Love" might actually end in a burning violin! Javier & Dino - I don't know their works but they give off a great vibe. As an aside - Visually this will be a great looking band!

My guess is nothing, and I mean nothing, will be spared to make this tour of the highest level because I can only assume there will be much audio and video released in its wake; both for posterity and financial reasons (which is to our great benefit).

gentle this soul . . . .
maltagla

Post by maltagla »

One by one, the guests arrived, the guests are coming through...
Would you please welcome on your forum a French fan whose husband is going to turn 50 in April and wishes she could offer him the best present ever: a ticket for one of Leonard Cohen's concerts in Europe and dance him to the end of love.
swilliam1

Post by swilliam1 »

Wow - this sounds like it's going to be great. I have tried registering for news updates from leonard's site, so I don't miss out when the dates are anounced - but it doesn't seem to work for me. Has anyone else had this problem? I guess I'll just have to keep checking in to see if they've come out - unless anyone has any other suggestions?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The newsletter offered by the official Sony site (http://www.leonardcohen.com) is not active. You have to come to this forum or check the news on our main site http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com (anyway we know it first!)
JikansFan

Post by JikansFan »

Hello all;

I attended the Leonard Cohen Event in NYC 2004 and met Perla Batalla and Julie Christensen. I would hope that they are available and join Leonard on his tour. Hope to see you all in Toronto.
newyork

Post by newyork »

JikansFan wrote:Hello all;

I attended the Leonard Cohen Event in NYC 2004 and met Perla Batalla and Julie Christensen. I would hope that they are available and join Leonard on his tour. Hope to see you all in Toronto.

I'm also wondering who is rehearsing with the band. when will we hear rumors (which are always fun), and when will we get to know who these undoubtedly wonderful women will be?
kieron

Post by kieron »

Leonard is obviously taking his time on such an important decision :D Who will form the vocal trinity to support the delivery of of his work live. My personal fav would be Perla and Jenny.
I love Perla's 'Anthem & Bird' and her whole sense of fun on stage. An amazing performer. Jennifer Warnes does it for me also to with her absolute passion that she has for Leonard's work. Both women love leonard and his work and perform brilliantly seamlessly with him from what I have seem on DVD. I am sure Anjani will be there and a welcome voice also. I really enjoyed her Blue Alert show in Tripod last year. She has a wonderful voice and knows instinctively how to deliver Leonards work. My guess is Julie will be in the line up. Another amazing performer who duets so well with Perla. Julie's 'A Singer Must Die' is amazing. Julie has a real theatrical and flamboyant approach to her performances and can really nail the high ones, always a joy to watch and listen to. Must not forget Sharon also. Has Perla ever performed live or in studio with Jennifer?
"A terrible beauty is born" WB Yeats.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I believe we don't know the singers from before.
kieron

Post by kieron »

Great, new voices. Thanks Jarkko. 1.5 hours to go. Wish me luck.
Kieron
"A terrible beauty is born" WB Yeats.
Juliane

Post by Juliane »

jarkko wrote:I believe we don't know the singers from before.
Do we have any names of the singers yet?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Regarding the touring band, ¨we have an announcement from Leonard & band:

We are sad to announce that Christine Wu is unable to participate in the forthcoming World Tour. Her musical skills and inspiring presence will be missed by all of us. We look forward to working with her again.

Other musicians (three vocalists) who will be joining us on the tour:
Sharon Robinson
"The Webb Sisters" (Charley Webb, Hattie Webb)
Anne

Post by Anne »

Great news about Sharon Robinson joining the tour. I think she is fantastic. I look forward to hearing the Webb Sisters sing his work.

It is too bad that Christine Wu won't be joining them, but I think they now have a pretty amazing band for the tour.
Davido

Post by Davido »

It's a shame that Christine Wu is unable to join the tour.I was looking forward to seeing her.The Webb sisters are excellent musicians with engaging voices.Their album 'Daylight Crossing' is certainly worth a listen.Great stuff.
Dave
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
marvin42

Post by marvin42 »

Is there any chance for Raffi Hakopian?
I have seen the Show 1979 in Hannover and it was the first time I saw Leonard live, what leaves as is generally known an intense impression for rest of live.
The musicians at "The Faith" gave me some hope.
1979, 1985, 1988 Hanover; 2008 Lörrach, Berlin, Hamburg, Oberhausen; 2009 Berlin; 2010 Hanover, Dortmund; 2012 Mönchengladbach

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”