What venue is everyone hoping for in London?...

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
John Etherington

What venue is everyone hoping for in London?...

Post by John Etherington »

My top three choices would be:

1. The Royal Festival Hall (perfectly located, great sound and excellent online ordering system).

2. Barbican (not so well located, but good on most other counts).

3. Royal Albert Hall (back to where it all began).

Just hoping it's not somewhere like Wembley Arena or O2 which are highly impersonal, a nightmare to get to, and where ticket purchase is usually difficult.

All good things, John E
dharma

Re: What venue is everyone hoping for in London?...

Post by dharma »

All three of those venues are great, but I'm guessing the Barbican and Festival Hall are too small, so the Albert Hall seems the best option.

Hammersmith Apollo is another possible venue. Let's just hope it's not the O2 - a 20,000 seated arena is just too big.
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
Joney

Post by Joney »

My livingroom would be good!
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

The Royal Albert Hall is my choice. It is, IMHO, the most beautiful of the three choices posed by John, and perfect for such a special occasion as a live performance by Leonard. Remember we may not see too many of them (who thought for a moment he would actually tour again?). The occasion deserves the very best venue.
jammymulligan

Post by jammymulligan »

There is a report in yesterday's Irish Times that Leonard Cohen will play Dublin in June at The Royal Hospital Kilmainham. This building is an old British Army hospital and has a fabulous courtyard. The concert promoters have applied for permission to hold live shows at this venue,the dates mentioned are June 13 to 20 and its strongly suggested that Mr Cohen will play. It will be awesome and its near my birthday..yippee
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Well, apart from my living room too (Joney), I'd go for the Royal Albert - saw him there last time, a great venue, and pretty big, though getting tickets will not be a breeze..

I 100% agree with John that O2 or God forbid, Wembley, would be really awful. I'll add another awful - Brixton Academy...please not there!!

Sue merlyn
TJHobbs

Post by TJHobbs »

...and what song should he lead with? Something classic? Something "new"? I think your answer this question may be based on age; years listening; I want to hear/see him sing Joan of Arc; and I want a seat somewhere in the first 10 rows; probably too much to expect; anyone know the month he will be in London?
loulou

Post by loulou »

Royal Albert Hall has my vote too - seems just right for him

(also agree with the others that the RFH and Barbican are unlikely as they are much smaller, I do like the RFH though as a venue in general andthe acoustics have been improved since the upgrade too

which month for London (well hoping for London) , i would guess at June
desire the horse
depression the cart
Gerry Smith

Post by Gerry Smith »

Preferred London venue:

Jazz Cafe. But rather unlikely - holds about 500.

Next best:

1. Roundhouse

2. Festival Hall

3. Barbican Hall

4. Shepherd's Bush Empire

5. Brixton Academy

6. Theatre Royal

Acceptable, but only just:

1. Hammersmith "whatever-it's-called-these-days"

Wild horses couldn't drag me, even for St Lenny:

1. O2

2. Wembley

3. Albert Hall - a dump with nasty acoustics - should be converted into an NCP car park
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Gerry,

Do you know how many people the re-vamped Roundhouse holds? It seems unlikely it would be many.

I'm glad you're in agreement about The Royal Festival Hall and Barbican.

Brixton Academy is too ghastly to contemplate...even if Bob Dylan likes slumming it there.

Cheers, John E
Gerry Smith

Post by Gerry Smith »

Hello John

Roundhouse holds abt 2,000 (standing). I went for first time last month (to see Morrissey) and was mightily impressed.

Acoustics, sight lines, services - food, bogs etc, high quality of the refurb - all are A1. Gig intimate though played to a biggish auditorium.

Roundhouse raises the game for London rockpop venues.

Here's hoping!
loulou

Post by loulou »

i also like to roundhouse as a venue and have enjoyed seeing (and dancing to) Richard Hawley there.
I agree that it is raises the bar for rockpop as you say, but i don't think it is perfect for Leonard.
(and i couldn't see much at all standing downstairs on tippy toes, so the sightlines you mentioned might not work for all concerned depending on your height or where you stand)

just my 2ps worth...... :D
desire the horse
depression the cart
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The summer leg of the 2008 tour is expected to go to very big venues only!
dharma

Post by dharma »

jarkko wrote:The summer leg of the 2008 tour is expected to go to very big venues only!
So, if the Albert Hall is big, does this make the O2 "very big"? :?

Hmmm... I love this guessing game. :D
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
Paula

Post by Paula »

I really hope its the RAH. One of the solicitors where I work has two permanant seats there and he has promised me I can have them if I need them for the concert.

It did cost me a packet of chocolate biscuits but I feel it was worth the expense :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”