No Tour 08 to Australia? - what can you send us??

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jessica bennett

No Tour 08 to Australia? - what can you send us??

Postby jessica bennett » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:37 am

The news of a tour in O8 has naturally met with great excitement here in Australia. Unfortunately we face the very real possibility that Mr Cohen won't make it this far south.
I think there is only one legitimate option for us - the tribute show.

At this point though we can't afford to be too choosy. When the Northern hemisphere comforts itself in the warmth of Cohen-ness we need something to hold on to. A few years ago we had a fine homage to Mr Cohen at the Sydney Opera House with Nick Cave, Rufus Wainright, Beth Orton and others (as seen in the DVD 'I'm Your Man'). Can we hope for such a wonderful cast to be assembled in the next four or five months? - probably not.
We need something far more accessable, and dare I say it, in the spirit of fake $750 tickets posted on this very website(!), a cheesy Leonard Cohen show.

Here in Australia we could make it happen. We have many fine contributions to the world of music in
Gold Zepplin, the U2 show, Bjorn Again, the Australian Doors - the list is endless.
The land downunder is the home of the tribute band, yet there has never been a hammy show devoted to LC.
You know, lots of thick smoke on stage, disco lights and a bloke with a voice coming out of a well. If only an old game show host would come out of the woodwork and take the role!

Please anyone out there in Cohenland, we need your help.
Can you send us something??

Brad and Jess
lizzytysh

Re: No Tour 08 to Australia? - what can you send us??

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:04 pm

What a plea for a first posting, Brad and Jess. Welcome :lol: . On a serious note, though I can understand some and imagination the rest of your frustration.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Honor

Postby Honor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:29 am

Oh, I WON'T settle for second-best!
Can't we have him?

Otherwise, I'll have to pack my bags and head on over. I was too young to be allowed to go when he was last here in Melbourne in 1988 (I think...) But my mother promised she'd take me next time. I've been waiting ever since!
It's so exciting to hear that he's touring again.
Maybe if we ask very sweetly he'll come here, too...
preadhead

Postby preadhead » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:52 am

I still want to hold out hope that he might perform in Australia somewhere. If not, for me it may be somewhere in Europe. At least then I could plan a holiday around it. No idea yet how to pay for it. That will be the next challenge. :D
jessica bennett

Postby jessica bennett » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:12 am

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.
There is absolutely no substitute for the man himself of course - our suitcases
are already packed!
B & J.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”