Glastonbury, June 29

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Alan Alda

Glastonbury, June 29

Post by Alan Alda » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:57 am

this just showed up in my google alert. Sorry if it's already been posted:

http://www.virtualfestivals.com/latest/news/4307

Virtual Festivals has learnt that Neil Diamond and Leonard Cohen will both play on the final day of Glastonbury Festival 2008.

Neil Diamond will play the prestigious Sunday afternoon slot on the Pyramid Stage, according to a reliable music industry source.

The New York crooner will follow in the footsteps of Dame Shirley Bassey and Brian Wilson, who have both played the late afternoon set in recent years.

It is also believed that Leonard Cohen will play on Sunday's bill, possibly headlining the Jazz World to close the festival. It would be the Canadian singer/songwriter's first UK show in more than 15 years.

Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis has hinted at a number of classic acts for Sunday and both Neil Diamond and Leonard Cohen would fit the bill.

He recently told Virtual Festivals: "We’ve got someone great for the Sunday afternoon slot. They're a band with a prominent male soloist, and also an amazing act headlining the Jazz World.

"We’ve got seven classic artists who are just unbelievable. The over 40s are going to have a lot to choose from anyway so we’re not letting them down. I, for one, will be on cloud nine come the Sunday.”

Glastonbury Festival said they would not be drawn on discussing specific acts and told VF: "Nothing will be confirmed until the full announcement is made after tickets have gone on sale.

"There are many acts being talked about so fans will just have to wait and see."

Glastonbury Festival takes place at Worthy Farm, Pilton, Somerset from 27-29 June.
I simply cannot see where there is to get to. Plath
Even despots have access to 'Welcome' mats. Me
Desperation is easily confused with enthusiasm. Me
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Glastonbury 2008

Post by jarkko » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:00 am

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/
Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts
The next Glastonbury Festival will be held on the weekend of 27th, 28th and 29th June 2008

To buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2008, you MUST first register during February
As part of his continuing campaign to combat touting, Michael Eavis has confirmed that if you want to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2008, you will first have to register. He explained, "I want to keep up the momentum we gathered last year by stopping ticket touting altogether - thank you for being so supportive of our registration process, which is after all quite tedious. I appreciate it so much".

The 2008 registration process is very similar to last year’s award winning system, which involved supplying your contact details and a passport standard photo. Everyone, including children aged 13 and over, who wants to buy tickets will need to register first to be eligible to go through the sales procedure on 6th April. Each ticket sold will feature a photograph of the person in whose name it is registered and will be non-transferable, so if you plan to buy tickets for friends or family, make sure they all register.

The registration period has been extended from the previously advertised closing date. You can now register anytime between 9am on Friday, 1st February, 2008, until midnight on Friday, 14th March 2008, either online or by completing a registration form. There will be no further extension beyond this date, so if you miss the 14th March deadline, you will not be able to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2008.
dvikib

Post by dvikib » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Updating the first post, it looks like it has been confirmed that Leonard
will indeed perform at the Glastonbury Festival on Sunday, June 29th.
Virtualfestivals.com has updated their Jan 30th article which said:
"It is also believed that Leonard Cohen will play on Sunday's bill, possibly headlining the Jazz World to close the festival."
The updated article on Feb 2 says:
"The only other acts confirmed to appear at the festival (besides Jay Z) are Neil Diamond and Leonard Cohen, both scheduled for the Sunday."
http://www.virtualfestivals.com/latest/news/4319
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:14 pm

I haven't been to Glastonbury Festival since 1990, and I don't miss it - despite the fab stuff I saw there (in 87, 89 and 90). Apart from anything else, the combination of exorbitant ticket prices and the bowel-deep hostility I feel towards giving my hard-borrowed/begged/earnt money to the likes of Greenpeace hasn't helped. All that aside, I'm on a mission to see Dylan, Waits and Cohen before I - and they - die, and with Leonard confirmed for Glasto this year I may have to bite the bullet and sort something out. Otherwise, to whom it may concern, Sam 'Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly' Duckworth has been mentioned. Kings of Leon, British Sea Power and The Verve are certs.
The lion and the calf shall lie down together, but the calf won't get much sleep.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:55 pm

Glastonbury Festival is not yet 100 % confirmed by Leonard. We have to wait for the final list of venues.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:38 pm

Thanks, jarkko - I shall remain cautious, then.
The lion and the calf shall lie down together, but the calf won't get much sleep.
preadhead

Post by preadhead » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:45 am

Glastonbury looks like a pretty amazing experience in itself from what I can glean from the photos on the internet, but I'm having a hard time imagining a venue like that as the best place to hear Leonard Cohen. I just always imagined if I saw him live it would be in more intimate surroundings, a theatre venue of some kind. :? Is it just me?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:56 am

The intimate venue is the ideal, Preadhead. There will be other venues, though, for this tour. I'm sure some will be better suited.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
preadhead

Post by preadhead » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:05 pm

I missed your reply Lizzytysh, I must remember to tick :)

I'm going to try and hold out for a smaller gathering than Glastonbury. Two nights of overnight camping would kill me.
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:35 am

Neil Diamond and Leonard Cohen sharing the same stage on June 29th ( my birthday!) in Glastonbury.... 8)

"Ten New Songs" .....Leonard

"12 Songs".....Neil Diamond

Oh well, I guess festivals are made for those young enough to trawl through the mud and rain, the burning sun, where did we leave our tent, is this Woodstock, can't find my other shoe, do you have enough cash to get us back, nothing is worse than missing the last train, anyone got a cigarette, want to go home, home, home.

Getting old, but remaining jealous,

Andrew. 8)
preadhead

Post by preadhead » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Ah Andrew I agree with you. The days of only needing your lover to keep you warm in that tent.....oh the memories

Now I would need to take "himself" an airbed, Egyptian sheets and a feather doona never mind a sleeping bag!! Tis best I wait for a venue with parking and a chair (preferably padded) :D
rightsaidfred

Post by rightsaidfred » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Dublin will be an openair stage as well.
venues in the second part of the tour (end of the year)
damellon

Post by damellon » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:17 pm

Hi rightsaidfred - what makes you think Dublin will be openair? and why will it be at the end of the year? Do you have some inside info? I'd be delighted but surprised if he comes to Dublin.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
Asmodeus

Post by Asmodeus » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:34 pm

I am tiring of trawling for venues & dates etc,
I have NEVER been so on edge about a concert before!
rightsaidfred

Post by rightsaidfred » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:58 am

@ damellon :
indeed inside info

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”