Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
zombiehamster

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Postby zombiehamster » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:49 pm

I am a newly registered member but I have been following the sight for quite a long time now (So, Hello There!). I guess that I just felt compelled to share just how estatic I was to read that post earlier. It is amazing that Leonard Cohen is finally going to tour and I for one will be anticipating it greatly. I attended Hal Wilner's marvelous tribute show "Came So Far For Beauty" a few years ago and I honestly thought that would be the closest that I would ever come to experiencing his material live. It would appear now that there may be an opportunity yet.
Rabbit

Postby Rabbit » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:43 pm

Just to prove DrHGuy's point, here's one from http://www.allheadlinenews.com/.

Todd Lazarski - Celebrity News Service News Writer

New York, NY (CNS) - Maybe this rock n' roll isn't just for the young folk - apparently motivated by his induction into Cleveland's Rock Hall of Fame, 71-year-old Leonard Cohen has announced he will tour in 2008.

According to a post on his message board, the Canadian singer-songwriter will halt his current 15-year retirement and unveil dates for the road next month.

Cohen, famous for his sparse and hauntingly sleepy folk melodies, will stroll the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's red carpet on March 10th.
ForYourSmile

Postby ForYourSmile » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:04 pm

Christine wrote:... Perla's playing in her home town at Theater 150 in Ojai on Feb 29 if you're interested...
Oh! Perla is a wonderful being. How I would like to be in Ojai this Feb 29 with you! (I love California, too). The live of Perla fills with enthusiasm us, we have two discs (and a bootleg, but this is a secret), frequently her music sounds in home. Will she know something about the tour? Will she join to the band?

Maybe it seems that some of us do campaign in order that he will come near house, I suppose that it is true. Even I have thought to writing to Alberto Manzano, if I were finding a way. But no, I am not going to bother anybody, I will leave a message of hope, longing and illusion in the Forum. And really to leave this message is wonderful.

When I spoke about El Palau de la Música, I didn’t ironically neither to compare, just I wanted to show the nice of these stages (both, The Orpheum too) to listen Leonard.

Now, I do not understand these concerts in big, cold and ugly sports spaces. As well I know that the world of the show business has its rules. (I am not interested especially in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or the lists of the most… )

I wish that this tour will be a sweet reunion of the poet with his public, one way to pay tribute, to recognize his work and to demonstrate our affection. Without many stridencies, with serenity. Enjoying our myth, who already has given A Thousand Kisses Deep.
FYS
dgp1000

Postby dgp1000 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:37 pm

This is fantastic news. Hopefully Leonard will come to the UK and I can get tickets!!!!
urgence

Postby urgence » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:11 am

My first ever Leonard Cohen concert was in May 1985 in Montreal. I was hooked. I saw him twice in Montreal in November 1988, and once in Vancouver in July 1993. I'm really looking forward to the coming tour.
sammy3122

Postby sammy3122 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:48 pm

I first saw Leonard in Montreal in the late 60's after being lured by his poetry (You Have The Lovers . Leonard Cohen Selected Poems 1956-1968). It was rumoured that he frequentd a bistro called Minuit Magique in Montreal which I visited often to catach a glipmse...to no avail. (I even dated a lawyer solely because he claimed to be a cousin of Leonard...but that's another story)

I have seen him every time that he was in Montreal or Toronto and can't wait for this tour. Unfortunately I have met very few who share my passion.
Sammy
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi Sammy ~

Welcome :D ! It sounds like you have some interesting stories. I know what you mean. I have "You Have The Lovers" framed at my office.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sammy3122

Postby sammy3122 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:00 pm

Thanks Lizzie...so glad that I found this site. In honor of this occasion...I will lite a thin green candle.
Sammy
Sho

Postby Sho » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:12 am

I hope I get tickets to this concert. I discovered his body of work in middle school (1988) and have been in love ever since. I'm listening to him now...shivers - I'll Take this Waltz...
dick

Postby dick » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:52 am

This thread is providing much pleasure to us all. Especially nice to see the lurkers out of the closet to thrill at the outlook of seeing Cohen perform live.

If you haven't checked the Speaking Cohen site lately, you may appreciate also that Marie has devoted a thread to the news arricles and web mentions of tour info. See it here: http://www.webheights.net/speakingcohen/tour1.html

We all just CAN'T WAIT!!

dick
cortez

Postby cortez » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:08 am

Leonard wrote me yesterday that he will definitely visit Stockholm on his tour. So that would be wellcome news for all his Swedish fans.
Cortez :D
kokenpere

Postby kokenpere » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:42 am

Thanks to Dick, Marie, Lizzie, Jarkko, Opendoor, and to all seeking more info on the tour. I'm sure competition for tickets will be intense and the number of dates and locations will be limited. If a film of one of the concerts could be produced; I'm positive it would do well. Neil Young's Heart Of Gold film recorded the debut performance of his Prairie Wind album at the Grand Old Opry. It's an enduring document and testament to him. Jonathan Demme directed and produced. A Tour 2008 Movie would insure that those fans of Leonard and his music that could not be at a performance would see him and his band regardless of location or schedule conflicts.

It would be my hope that everyone who wanted to see Leonard in person would have that opportunity. A movie or television production would be a close second to an "in person" experience. Does anyone know if Jonathan Demme is a Leonard Cohen fan????

michael
gingermop

Postby gingermop » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:57 pm

kokenpere wrote:It would be my hope that everyone who wanted to see Leonard in person would have that opportunity. A movie or television production would be a close second to an "in person" experience. Does anyone know if Jonathan Demme is a Leonard Cohen fan????
A couple of months ago I suggested the idea of a new documentary to Leonard (with a prolific Canadian director friend of mine who was exploring this option via the NFB). He politely turned it down. I don't blame him, but I suppose a film of one of the concerts is the next best thing without requiring a massive commitment from Leonard himself.

I'll be happy to experience a concert and just commit it to memory, if I don't kill off too many Bordeaux brain cells in the meantime.

Gina
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Hi Michael and Gina ~

That's such a worthwhile idea, Michael. After all the many calls for DVD of Leonard's performances, an intentionally-created one of this tour would be priceless. I'm still very happy that the younger people who never even had the chance to see Leonard perform some of his old songs will have that in this tour. There will likely be YouTube captures of songs, but I really hope someone takes a serious look at doing an official filming.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
cortez

Postby cortez » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:58 pm

How can ANYBODY stil do m´t reply to my
post?
Leomard is comming to Stocckhol m and i wrote a book about him.
Come on :D

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”