Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
27angels

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Post by 27angels »

are there any clues about when the tour sched will be announced? I keep putting off booking tickets from new Zealand (the great beyond) to europe cos I am keen to fit in an LC concert en route...but I am running out of time...my boss is on my case!!!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

It is possible that we will first get a partial schedule showing the venues that have already been confirmed, and then
more later, after the additions can be made public. Unfortunately I cannot predict when the first crumbs of information
are available - but every morning the waiting time is one day shorter :shock:
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

jarkko wrote:...but every morning the waiting time is one day shorter :shock:
Fabulous way to put it, Jarkko.
cohenita

Post by cohenita »

First confirmed show:

Leonard Cohen will be playing Benicassim Festival (Spain).

http://www.fiberfib.com
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

dharma

Post by dharma »

I love how Lenny's name is top of the bill on that poster. :D

Just a thought, if Lenny's playing a festival in Spain then doesn't that raise the chances of him playing the Glastonbury Festival after all...? I've registered my name on the Glastonbury site just in case.
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

http://fiberfib.com/en/news/fib-heineke ... irmations/
It is our pleasure to continue confirming artists who will be part of FIB Heineken 2008:

Beirut
David Duriez
Eef Barzelay
Erol Alkan
John Acquaviva
Justice Live
Leonard Cohen
Micah P. Hinson
Moriarty
These New Puritans
Richard Hawley
Róisín Murphy
Supermayer
Tommie Sunshine

A legend forged out of a talent that is as moving as it is vast. Poetry in its purest state, stories full of live, real and hard, sung with one of the roughest and deepest voices rock has given us, capable of oozing emotion with each note. A unique composer and singer, touched by the magic wand of eternal inspiration… Ladies and gentlemen…

Leonard Cohen. Since 1968, the year of his debut album “The Songs of Leonard Cohen”, this Canadian artist has been giving us a discography that has never descended from it lofty heights and that has been cemented with several masterpieces: his above-mentioned debut, “Songs of Love and Hate” (1971), “New Skin for the Old Ceremony” (1974), “Death of a Ladies’ Man” (1977), “I’m Your Man” (1988) and “Dear Heather” (2004). Hundreds of artists from all genres have paid homage to the energetic voice and brilliant lyrics of this timeless classic.

With “Overpowered” (2007), the Irishwoman Róisín Murphy has taken a giant step forward in a career in which her voice serves as an invitation to make absolutely danceable disco-pop shine. If her past with Moloko served to make us all pay attention to her, her solo career serves to reaffirm her as a woman with a stand-out presence that turns the stage into a club to which we are all invited.

But the invitation doesn’t stop there. The French band Justice will show us live why they have become one of the electronic phenomena of the year. Both their first, self-titled album and their remixes for people like Daft Punk, Franz Ferdinand, Klaxons and Soulwax say it all.

If there is anyone who knows how to take the evocative and romantic pulse of pop music, it is no doubt Richard Hawley. This guy from Sheffield seems to have been blessed by people like Roy Orbison, Billy Fury, Buddy Holly and Ricky Nelson on discs whose talent and quality reveal a surprising sensibility.

Two albums released to date, “Gulag Orkestar” (2006) and “The Flying Club Cup” (2007), have served to catapult Zach Condon and his group Beirut to the very top. From Albuquerque, USA, comes pop of the highest order dressed up in sounds from East Europe.

From New Jersey and under the auspices of the excellent label spinART, Eef Barzelay – leader of the essential Clem Snide – will bring to the Festival his solo debut, “Bitter Honey” (2006), an album full of pop emotions and noteworthy sounds. Brilliant melodies to reel off everyday dramas.

The indomitable Micah P. Hinson will present his new album at FIB Heineken 2008, which is slated for release next spring.

This year’s Festival will also feature These New Puritans, a four-guy British band that marries rock with electronic music and promises to give a show that will win over new and enthusiastic legions of fans.

The same will most likely happen with those who see Moriarty, a band based in France but whose members come from several countries to make truly captivating folk music.

And the confirmations keep on coming. The nights of the Festival will get you all dancing with DJs spinning like John Acquaviva, Erol Alkan, David Duriez and Tommie Sunshine, with sessions that will range from techno to house to minimal and even the most unprejudiced pop. And the performance of Supermayer, the mix of the talent of Michael Mayer and Superpitcher, augurs beats and euphoria in equal parts.

FIB Heineken 2008 due to take place on the 17th, 18th, 19st and 20nd of July in the concert area of Bennicàssim.
http://fiberfib.com/en/benicassim-2/the ... xperience/
Smack-dab in the middle of Valencia, Benicàssim is the perfect place for this summer music Festival. On the Costa Azahar, it is hard to imagine a better setting for the emotional rush of summer, right on the sea, sharing emotions and experiences with people from all over the world, where the friendliness and hospitality of the locals and the gorgeous natural surroundings make for a truly unique experience.

The blessings Mother Nature has bestowed on Benicàssim make this a very special setting for a one-of-a-kind music festival. And there are so many other advantages: centrally located bus and train stations; its proximity to the Valencia airport; its wide range of hotel and restaurant services – to ensure that your stay in this city by the sea is as comfortable as possible and that you have the opportunity to savour the succulent culinary traditions of the region.

Many are the good reasons to take part in the Festival and the whole Benicàssim experience. Many are the good reasons to summer here, with an unbeatable mix of music, sun, surf and sand. Benicàssim is all this and much more!
http://fiberfib.com/en/benicassim/how-t ... ere/plane/
With two airports nearby, getting to Benicàssim is no problem at all:

Valencia Airport (92.2 km) - 55 minutes away
Alicante Airport (273.3 km) - 2.5 hours away

http://www.vueling.com (Valencia): Amsterdam, Brussels, Milan, Paris, Seville
http://www.clickair.com (Valencia): London, Milan, Paris y Roma.
http://www.ryanair.com (Valencia): London, Milan, Rome
http://www.airberlin.com (Valencia): London, Dortmund, Düsseldorf, Cologne, Frankfurt, Münster, Hanover, Berlin, Leipzig, Dresden, Nuremberg, Stuttgart, Munich, Zurich, Salzburg, Vienna
http://www.transavia.com (Alicante): Amsterdam, Rotterdam.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Is that 17/18/19.20 JULY Jarkko?

Do we know which date Leonard is on?

I have just noticed Babyshambles is on too. That should be interesting.

--- It's July indeed. No date for Leonard announced yet. Let's wait for his own information. / Jarkko
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

are there any clues about when the tour sched will be announced? I keep putting off booking tickets from new Zealand (the great beyond) to europe cos I am keen to fit in an LC concert en route...but I am running out of time...my boss is on my case!!!
Hey, 27Angels ~

I'm in the same position you are. Fortunately, I have a history of good planning, well in advance, so this isn't perceived as irresponsibility on my part. Hopefully, that's the same with you. However, they still need to know. My supervisor and her boss are both well aware of my long-standing devotion in this, so that bodes well, too. It's not misunderstood as frivolous or reckless amd cavalier putting them off. It may become necessary to take my holiday time in two chunks, though... as last-minute plans of a larger time frame may prove to be more difficult. That's okay, though. I'll just deal with it. Who knows what flight costs might be by the time I try to make a 'last-minute' reservation, though :shock: . Time and advance planning are on your side with that, too.

I'm not even planning on knowing anything in February, but who knows... we may find ourselves with information by the 29th. That would be great, but delays happen.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
magdasto

Post by magdasto »

Will it be Leonard Cohen's only concert in Spain? I'll hate to go to a hazy festival with two kids... Does anyone has a clue?
Beyond the myths and the masks the soul remains alone...
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Juah Luis Corcobado Cartes sent us this newspaper link:
http://www.publico.es/051246/leonard/co ... n/fib/2008
El FIB recibió el año pasado a un total de 150.000 personas entre los cuatro días en que se desarrolló el mayor festival de música independiente de España y uno de los principales del circuito internacional.
If I understand correctly the newspaper tells that last year there were no less than 150.000 persons during those four days (almost 40.000 a day!), making this festival the biggest in Spain.
davidT

Post by davidT »

hello

Yes, this festival is huge. I experienced it about 5 years ago, massive crowds, partying very "hard"; not a picnic-type open air event.

-D
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

magdasto wrote:Will it be Leonard Cohen's only concert in Spain? I'll hate to go to a hazy festival with two kids... Does anyone has a clue?
It is not a good place to go with kids ... or adults. If this one is the only concert in Spain I will be there, but it is not my dreamed stage.

Diane

Post by Diane »

As I have a brother living in Valencia, I will go to this festival, at least on the day Leonard is there. I'm looking forward to it! And to swimming in some warm sea. Summer holiday sorted.

It seems that Leonard is not too old to Tour, but his fans are too old to go to see him. Wink.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's such a bright, beautiful, and clear photograph of Leonard, Toni. Where did you get it?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”