Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
daka

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Postby daka » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Sehr Gut Osmacher!!!!!!

We Buddhists
(I only speak of me, He's a Trekkie)
Are free
From the suffering
How?
Impatience is not permitted!
(We all become very German!)
I may d¡e before the concert happens
Leonard may die before the concert happens
The concert may die before I happen
(But the concert was never born, so never can die)
The concert is dream-like
Whether it happens
Or Whether it doesn't happen
Wanna convert?
We don't do baptisms
You won't even get wet!

daka
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
loulou

Postby loulou » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:28 pm

oh osmacher & daka, you have to look no further then Leonard's first novel 'the favourite game' - is that not all about how the longing for something is better then the fulfillment ?
desire the horse
depression the cart
dick

Postby dick » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks for venue info Steve --
Keep us up on any clues you get!
Dick
musicalchairs

Postby musicalchairs » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:38 pm

i'm sure dylan himself might care....but maybe not....

actually I think every single tour he's ever done has started in the Maritimes....it was Ginsberg who told me so...
jchrishall2000

Postby jchrishall2000 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:35 pm

Can anyone give me the latest on tour details? What stage is everything at? I keep checking daily but no dates yet...
Ta
Chris
Last edited by jchrishall2000 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
daka

Postby daka » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:07 pm

loulou wrote:oh osmacher & daka, you have to look no further then Leonard's first novel 'the favourite game' - is that not all about how the longing for something is better then the fulfillment ?
Maybe, LouLou. I was living in Montreal when I read it 1968-1970, I think, and I was too busy fulfilling my longings, like the good hedonist that I was, to remember hardly anything during that time. Those were pre-Buddhist days (for me and for Leonard, as he has only been studying Buddhism for 34-35 years) (Maybe he has been a Buddhist for longer than he thinks!)

So how about you? Are you waiting patiently, LouLou, avoiding the suffering? (Enjoying the longing?)

'longing' is an interesting word
? difference between longing and desire
maybe 'desire' evokes suffering a bit more (not much).... basically synonyms, I think, after checking!

just checked:

Desire first:

1. To long for; to wish for earnestly; to covet.
[1913 Webster]
to wish for earnestly
(seems OK. healthy)
to covet
(seems not OK ... unhealthy)

Longing Long"ing, n.
An eager desire; a craving; a morbid appetite; an earnest
wish; an aspiration.
[1913 Webster]
an earnest
wish; an aspiration.
(seems OK, healthy)
An eager desire; a craving; a morbid appetite;
(seems not OK .. maybe unhealthy)

(I suspect many of us are falling into this definition)

(Maybe if it feels painful or unpleasant it's not OK. If it feels pleasant and comfortable it is OK??')

daka
Last edited by daka on Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
bruce_imraz

Postby bruce_imraz » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:40 pm

hey there anyone heard anything yet about details of tour?
Honor

Postby Honor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:35 am

Oh, you lucky, LUCKY people who are at least on the right side of the planet!

Now I have to figure out if I can afford to do something wild and drop everything and go overseas especially. The temptation's huge! But the cost! Also huge. I'm one of those people who have just "come out of the woodwork" where we have been "lurking". This is, indeed, reason to break cover! But I'm not new. I've been loving Lennie (forgive me, I'm an Aussie) since I can remember. I think my mother played him to her womb when I was in it. She certainly used to say goodnight and sing to me, "goodnight my darling, I hope you're satisfied..."
When I was little, all those words made such intriguing pictures in my head: "she broke your throne, she cut your hair", "I lit a thin green candle to make you jealous of me", "the killers in high places say their prayers out loud", "now the infant with his cord is hauled in, like a kite"... amazing images, for a kid! And then later, as situations arose in life that were new, I found I already knew the words to give articulation to my experience, and the old songs became new again, too! It still happens! I look forward to getting old, and accessing the deeper meanings of his later songs. For now, I enjoy the images they conjure to my 27-year-old mind...
"I was tumbled up with them, in formless circumstance"...

P.S. I'm Honor. Nice to meet you all.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:57 pm

And then later, as situations arose in life that were new, I found I already knew the words to give articulation to my experience, and the old songs became new again, too! It still happens!
Exactly. Well said, Honor. Welcome :D . Very nice to meet you, too.
I look forward to getting old, and accessing the deeper meanings of his later songs.
Trust me, they're there to access and you will.

I hope your 27-year-old initiative and ingenuity will find a way to see him perform Live at one of the venues. You'll forever regret it if you don't.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Brownie

Postby Brownie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:24 pm

Its February Now and I hear he is playing Glastonbury. Any news of other dates in UK and Europe? I will go anywhere in the world to see him. I have waited 40 years!!!
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:49 pm

Hi Brownie ~

See thread below this one... and welcome :D .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Johnald

Postby Johnald » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:51 am

22:30 Points West a TV news programme local for the Glastonbury Festival announced That the organisers of Glastonbury have named Neil Diamond and LEONARD COHEN AS Headliners at this years festival. ....... Get your Wellies out three days in the Mud..... Leonard if I can get a ticket You are worth it!!!!!
dick

Postby dick » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:31 am

Hi Honor

Welcome.

I've already quoted your post in an email to a music lover who is just becoming more familiar with the Cohen genuis. Example of Cohen power over listeners.

Congrats also to those of you who may make it to Glastonbury.

Now...some of us are still chomping at the bit for specifics on Canada and US!

For some reason, I am confident that many of us will be very enriched by exposure to the Master performing live -- right in front of our admiring eyes!

Dick
Honor

Postby Honor » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks, Lizzy, it's lovely to be welcomed by people on the other side of the world. After switching off the computer and falling into bed last night, I dreamt I was walking in snow...
and,
Thanks, Dick. How nice! You may quote me any time. But how difficult it is to persuade someone of Cohen's magic! I cannot tell you how many times I've had the standard "music to slash your wrists by" and "last fan club meeting held in a phone booth" responses. What is that? I put on Leonard to return me to life, to inspire or to comfort me, or just to jig around to while I'm doing the dishes. Just the sound of him used to make me leap around on the sofa when I was a kid.
I have resigned myself to the belief that some people get him, and some just don't.
Lucky us, I guess!
rightsaidfred

Postby rightsaidfred » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:59 am

Rumour has it that Leonard will only play open air festivals this summer
For indoor shows we will have to wait till the end of the year.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”